Make a donation

Author Topic: GTi bumper prep and paint?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
GTi bumper prep and paint?
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »
So I picked up an OE GTi rear lower valance today from my local TPS.  On my way home I stopped in at a body shop I have used in the past, for a quote on painting.  After having to give my entire life history to the rude, arrogant and obnoxious receptionist she sent for the estimator.  Well to say I was shocked by the prices quoted is an understatement.  :stupid:

Quote #1: Prepare the textured surface with high build plastic primer then paint - £128 +VAT (he did say that it would probably flake off though).
Quote #2: DA the surface to remove the textured finish then build the surface back up with filler/primer then paint - £240 +VAT!  :surprised:

Question here is do they think I'm a mug or is that the sort of price I will have to pay?  Also is there any way I can prepare the bumper by sanding it etc?

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline DamoP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 115
  • 2007 Edition 30 number 1242
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,86073.0.html
Re: GTi bumper prep and paint?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:43:00 pm »
dude
that sounds very expensive , i only had half on my rear done but it was only £100 and he repainted the top part too
MDI Armrest & Glovebox kits
MDI looms , iPod, USB & lightening Iphone 5 leads
Armrests, cloth and leather
Retro fit Armrest 6 CD changer/Ipod dock kits

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 12:46:05 pm »
dude
that sounds very expensive , i only had half on my rear done but it was only £100 and he repainted the top part too
Just PM'd you actually!  :happy2:

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:57:20 pm »
i paid £320 + vat for my rear valance and side skirts.......in fairness they have done a really good job, the price seemed okish?

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:02:10 pm »
Bl00dy hell, I must be getting old that price sounds horrendous, although including the skirts I suppose its not that bad and you had the entire valance painted!
Do you know what process they used and did you get any guarantee that it won't flake?

The same body shop colour coded my vRS grill and painted and fitted my rear spoiler for £110.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:04:00 pm by vRS_Pagey »

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:27:51 pm »
Quick update:
The guy at the bodyshop advised me NOT to try and sand the bumper myself as when you sand the plastic it creates fibres that will ruin the finsh.
Despite this I thought I would have a bash at prepping a small part of the valance so I hit the section hidden behind the number plate with my random orbital sander with 120 grit paper, then a quick finish with some wet 'n' dry!  And the result, perfect finish ready for primer/paint.......I defo think they were trying it on.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:44 pm »
Where are you based? I have a 'tame' body shop near me for all my paint needs. They have an OEM rear valance in for me at the moment.

They did a great job on an ED 30 rear I sold to another forum member, so I can heartily recommend them.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 05:21:43 pm »
Pagey, got a couple of quotes - 1 place quoted £400 just for the rear valance, another quoted £400 for the whole job but to be honest none of them filled me with confidence and pretty much turned down the work due to its difficulty, i would be carefull attempting it yourself.

The guys i used are very reputable and said any problems let us know and they will sort it out!

finished result....

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:23:57 pm by janus909GTI »

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 05:45:05 pm »
Where are you based? I have a 'tame' body shop near me for all my paint needs. They have an OEM rear valance in for me at the moment.

They did a great job on an ED 30 rear I sold to another forum member, so I can heartily recommend them.
I'm nr. Dover, Kent.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »
Iv had a quote of £120 for my rear bumper repaint including repainting the black plastic. Hes a very good sprayer who mainly does fords though! Im North West mind!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:29:16 pm »

I'm nr. Dover, Kent.

I'm in East Yorkshire. Ah, worth a shout. :sad1:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »
Who says I can't prep the bumper????  :P

And I've found a guy locally who comes highly recommended, he has quoted me £80.  Happy days!  :happy2:

Also, spoke to my mechanic today and for 20 quid he said he can modify the tail pipes so I can fit chrome tailpipes for the OE finish.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:47:34 pm by vRS_Pagey »

Offline adamf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 06:19:40 pm »
All it needs is a red scotchbrite to key the surface of the black textured part, some plastic adhesive primer sprayed on, and then two pak primed to fill the texture. Once baked off wet flat with 800 and grey scotch. Viola! All ready for paint. I did this to my sideskirts and it won't ever peel off. Not if it is prepped properly...

I think 128+vat isn't a bad price considering the time needed to do the job. Your looking at about 3 hours work + paint and materials so if you work it out at 30 - 35 per hour your not far off. If you could get the top bit don aswell that would be a touch...as all it needs is a quick key up (providing it has no damage/deepescratches) and blown over at the same time as painting the lower bit...

He is right about the DAing of plastic. It goes fluffy so it is quicker to scotch it up.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »
The guy mentioned red scotchbrite today.

The original quote was not for all that process, it was a straight forward spray so the finish would have been textured!  :sick:

I have hit the entire top part with 120 grit on a random orbital, then 500 grit wet n dry.......no fluff, no fibres, just a perfect surface ready for prime/paint, imo.  Once its fitted I will post some pictures.  :happy2:

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 10:57:00 am »
Glad you got it sorted.