Make a donation

Author Topic: Should I get an iPad  (Read 3131 times)

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
Should I get an iPad
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:44:58 pm »
Was wondering about getting an iPad.
I have an iMac, MacBook and Iphone.
Has anybody got various "Apple" products and bought the iPad.
Was thinking of getting it to take on holiday next month.

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Re: Should I get an iPad
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:52:40 pm »
We have both a iPad1 and iPad2 in the house and love both on them. I don't mean that in a literal "Man love" sense just that they tick all the boxes!

With the rumoured release of the iPad3 in September i would suggest getting the iPad2 or wait until September/October for the 3.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:56:06 pm »
iPad3 B**dy Hell they churn them out fast!
I'll have a look on the net for that.

Ifti

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:04:56 pm »
Its not an iPad 3 - its a 'pro' version of the iPad 2 apparently. So it'll run apps like Aperture etc - more for professional use.
They are doing the same with the iPhone I hear - so you can buy the 3Gs, the 4, and a slightly better version of 4 later on this year.

I personally have a MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPhone 4, Apple TV, and a few other bits.
I use my iPhone when Im out and about, which is why I only bought the wifi version of the iPad.
I use my iPad mainly when Im at home to browse the net, check emails, write the odd document etc - only ever really switch my MacBook on if I need to sync, or if I need to work with an application, like iMovie etc.

Never thought I'd use my iPad very much, but since I got the initial iPad last year I tend to use it the most out of all my devices at home! Its just nice to sit anywhere and use the iPad rather then a laptop on your lap etc. The kids love it as well as I have many educational apps for them to use.

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »
Bought a iPad 2 this week having recently gone mac book, love it, essentially bought for work to save lugging a laptop around but easier to type on than a I phone especially when I am out the country

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:15:04 pm »
Starting to feel tempted.
IFTI, I also have the Apple TV (160gb version).
Could I connect via wifi with the iPad2 to the Apple TV to watch a movie without having to have my MacBook (where the iTunes Library is stored) booted up.

Offline VeeDub

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:09:36 pm »
Go for it, I bought an iPad 2 during a trip to the US (where it was about £80 cheaper  :smiley: ) earlier this year and I have hardly put it down since......and when I do put it down I then struggle to get it back off the Mrs!

My one concern was the lack of Adobe Flash on them, but to be honest I could count the times this has stopped me looking at something on one hand.

Ifti

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:22:30 am »
Starting to feel tempted.
IFTI, I also have the Apple TV (160gb version).
Could I connect via wifi with the iPad2 to the Apple TV to watch a movie without having to have my MacBook (where the iTunes Library is stored) booted up.

Yes.
Slightly complicated though. To view a movie from the iPad via airplay through the Apple TV it has to be in a MP4 or M4V format (basically a format Apple support). If you can play it natively on the iPad you will be able to airplay it across to the Apple TV fine.
If its in any other format you need an app on your iPad that can firstly play the movie. With iOS5 coming along you will be able to mirror the iPad to the Apple TV, and watch anything you like, no matter what format.

For example,
I have a NAS, which I have set up as a DLNA server as well.
I use an app called 'Air Player' on my iPad2 and iPhone4 to connect ditrectly to my NAS and watch any movie I like, regardless of format (DivX, Xvid included!).

If the movie Im playing from the NAS to the iPad/iPhone is a MP4 or M4V format movie it plays using Quicktime on the iPad/iPhone. I can then hit the airplay button and watch it on my Apple TV2 in full HD (720p). Plays beautifully.

If the movie is in any other format, such as DivX for example, then I can watch it on my iPad/iPhone directly for now, but cant airplay it to the Apple TV2. However, iOS5 is due out soon which supports mirroring whatever is on the iPad screen to the Apple TV - so I understand that you will be able to watch whatever you want on a larger screen no matter what format etc - as long as it plays on the iPad.

My whole reason for doing this is that I wanted to be able to watch content from my NAS directly on my TV without having to have a computer/laptop on in between. This way I only have my iPad or iPhone on in between, which I much rather prefer over my MacBook. The amount of battery used to watch an entire movie is only around 2% since once you airplay the movie across to the Apple TV2 you can hit the sleep button on the iPad and it will continue to play, or you can continue to do other stuff on the iPad and it will still continue. Hence I can stick a movie on for the kids, and still use my iPad to sit with them and browse the net or get on with my own stuff etc.

You can play Music and view photos etc in the same way - but no issues with formats etc as they'll just work straight away.

Hope that explains it!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:24:08 am by Ifti »

Offline Thecrawf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:41:47 am »
I have the iPad 2 just feels like a large iPhone

I you want flash just install team viewer on the iPad and pc or laptop and you can browse that and have a full spec pc
Really do miss the mk5 Perelli rare breed of car
Audi S3 black edition 1 week old went wrong sent back to Audi
RS3 order cancelled bought C63 AMG PPP now sold after a year of expensive trips to kwik fit
New car BMW M135i loaded to the hilt

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:51:29 am »
WOW!! Thanks ifti. What a wealth of information.
I rip all my movies now into MP4 format for the Apple TV, as I am trying to build up a library of them, so they will hopefully play.
I would just like to watch a movie without firstly having to sync it over to the Apple TV from the Macbook, so The iPad will do this.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 09:00:23 am »
I always thought of the iPad as a big phone you can't make calls on.

Having bought one 2 months ago, I find it amazing, indispensable, and I can't believe how I worked without one. I got a 3G 16gb apple refurb off the bay for £300 and it's been brilliant.

I heartily recommend the Otterbox Defender case if you tend to drop things. Again the bay provided, for £25.

Get one. You won't regret. If you do, I'll buy it :signLOL:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:34:08 am »
How does everyone get around sites that use flash then?

Is the JB the best scenario for this?

Offline Thecrawf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 10:00:49 am »
Download AVPlayerHD you can upload any movie format you download and upload via a webpage front end it plays avi mpg mov best bit of software I have downloaded and you can adjust the screen size with the £30 HDMI cable plug from apple

Install team viewer and you can connect to a pc over 3G or wireless and watch flash via your pc connected to the iPad

So you can get flash viewed on your iPad

Teamviewer is free and AVPlayerHD is about £1.99 both brilliant programs
Really do miss the mk5 Perelli rare breed of car
Audi S3 black edition 1 week old went wrong sent back to Audi
RS3 order cancelled bought C63 AMG PPP now sold after a year of expensive trips to kwik fit
New car BMW M135i loaded to the hilt

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 11:02:01 am »
Had my iPad 2 for just over 2 weeks, and I just can't put it down. It all started with an iPod then the iPhone, followed by an iMac which I wish I should have got years ago. Completely converted to an apple geek. Will be purchasing a MacBook pro for my wife when we visit the US in September, just to stop hearing her moaning about her "Bloody laptop"

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 03:14:24 pm »
Ifti

Would you mind giving me a quick run down of how you have your iTunes setup with your NAS?

I have a DNLA and iTunes capable NAS (Synology) and I have my iTunes library on it however I've never really been able to make it into the ideal solution and I've had to manually connect in finder before iTunes will see the music.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available