Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Approved warranty  (Read 1350 times)

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
VW Approved warranty
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:16:28 pm »
Received a letter from vw today asking if I would like to take out there warranty policy.

The top policy gives full componet cover both mech and elec. Parts and labours. Obviously consumables are not covered.

This would cost £337 for 12months with no excess.

If I made the excess £250 the cover would cost £228. Don't see the point in doing this one.

Any opinions welcome please. At the moment I'm  think I will probably do it.

57 plate Tornado red 3dr manual edition 30

Offline jamma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
Re: VW Approved warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:21:25 pm »
The 337 one I will be doing when mine runs out. I have used mine a lot in last 6 weeks.

DV valve
Spark plugs
Window regulator
Electric seat lumbar fixed
Rear badge mechanism changed
Small engine fan

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:38 pm »
Spark plugs changed under warranty? I thought vw would have class them as a consumable item.

I did forget to ask how many claims I can make in a year, normally you find over the phone it's a all singing policy then when you get the paper work there loads of catches and exemptions.

Offline jamma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:32:53 pm »
Spark plugs changed under warranty? I thought vw would have class them as a consumable item.

I did forget to ask how many claims I can make in a year, normally you find over the phone it's a all singing policy then when you get the paper work there loads of catches and exemptions.

Yeah it is but as mine had never been changed they had no choice lol

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:09:41 pm »
I'm running the full fat extended warranty, and have already had a door lock & labour paid for since I took it out. So I'm pretty much breaking even on a £300 bill I would have paid for. And 6 months to go. Nearly in the black :signLOL: Plus I use a very good dealer & have their 3 year service plan.

Not sure if I'd go for year 4 to 5. Depends on cost.

But remember, unlike the manufacturer 3 year warranty, the terms of the extended warranty are that you must have the vehicle VW Dealer serviced. The warranty is underwritten so is not a direct VW product. It makes sense if you already have a full VW service history & a fixed price service plan, but if you don't, I'd look at Warranty Direct as well.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:37:57 pm »
I brought my car from vw last year so has full vwfsh and came with fixed price servicing.

It will be 4 years old in November so I think it would be worth the cost for peace of mind.