Make a donation

Author Topic: Headlight scratches removed!  (Read 2550 times)

Offline kevinw90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
  • GTI!
Headlight scratches removed!
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »
Hello, just used some autsol metal polish on my headlights to remove some scratches that have been bugging me since i got the car.  Never occured to me to use it until now and what a differnce!  They look new. 

A little spider however has managed to get inside my headlight!  Left me a nice web inside and got some water mmarks inside.  Not a big issue but is there any easy wasy to get this out?  Just wondering if theres an easy way of gettting the headlight apart to get inside.

Thanks
Kevin

Offline keith

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
Re: Headlight scratches removed!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:07:28 pm »
the caddy guys take theirs apart but its not for the faint hearted, imagine its the same procedure. you then need to seal them up again to stop them letting stuff in. can you not get a cheap one of ebay?

Offline kevinw90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • GTI!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:30:55 pm »
Hmmm I don't like the sound of this ssealing, Not even that bad of a web I am just very picky.  Think I will just wait till i get my xenons put on!

Thanks
Kevin

Offline SLIVERFOX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:06 pm »
did you use a buffer or just a rag cheers fella shall try it this weekend

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:31:55 pm »
Hello, just used some autsol metal polish on my headlights to remove some scratches that have been bugging me since i got the car.  Never occured to me to use it until now and what a differnce!  They look new. 

A little spider however has managed to get inside my headlight!  Left me a nice web inside and got some water mmarks inside.  Not a big issue but is there any easy wasy to get this out?  Just wondering if theres an easy way of gettting the headlight apart to get inside.

Thanks
Kevin

Metal polish, on glass??

Offline kevinw90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • GTI!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:37:52 pm »
I've found metal polish good on lots of things. Plastic headlights definitly a big improvement. Try a little bit and then keep going over deep scratches. Just used a clean rag and it worked a treay. Probaaly would be quicker with a buffer but I want sure how it was going to turn out so safer with a rag

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:01 pm »

Might be a retarded question but would it work on my windscreen?  I have some bad scratches on passenger side caused by windscreen wiper damaged by lots of snow, now fixed leaving me with scratches on window

Offline SLIVERFOX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:48:57 pm »
wicked cheers fella

Offline kevinw90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • GTI!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:35 pm »
 :happy2:Not a retarded question atall. I have exactly the same, little scratches on the window but I have never tried. Could be worth a go on a little patch. Think I might have a go tommrow, can't see it making it worse, headlights came out crystal clear so surely windscreen would...... If I try I will post the results :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:14:16 pm »
:happy2:Not a retarded question atall. I have exactly the same, little scratches on the window but I have never tried. Could be worth a go on a little patch. Think I might have a go tommrow, can't see it making it worse, headlights came out crystal clear so surely windscreen would...... If I try I will post the results :happy2:

Thanks given,  :party:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:03:06 am »
Headlights are essentially plastic. Windscreens are toughened glass and many people have to resort to cerium oxide to polish the glass. Others just replace the windscreen.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.