Make a donation

Author Topic: Todays worrying rumour in the car industry....  (Read 1033 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Todays worrying rumour in the car industry....
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:04:40 pm »
I hear stories and rumours every day about changes in the industry such as BMW introducing bluetooth systems (to update the cars data i.e ECU's via wireless technology)  etc....

Todays rumour is that Audi will stop all sales of parts to trade and public as of 2012, with many other manufacturers following suit, as well as this pattern parts (aftermarket manufacturers making an equivalent) will also cease. Tjis means that if you wanted a new part it would have to be supplied and fitted by the manufacturer.

Now that the block exemption had expired : http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/right-to-repair-campaign.html I can see this being a real possibility......... :sad1:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Todays worrying rumour in the car industry....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »

:scared:

h4rdy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:11:32 pm »
The knock on effect if this is true?

Cars getting stolen for parts?

Audi etc losing sales?

Second hand car market would bloom as surely they couldn't stop the supply of old car models only new models?

I hope this does not happen and somebody see sense but with all the back handers in the euro zone, who knows?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:32 pm »
Oh sh1t that's going cost the economy sooooo much money I can't see the government letting this happen

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline andyboygsi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:15:14 pm »
cant see that happening

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:17:39 pm »
that is a 2008 article.

the review in 2010 has come and gone.

think the original 2002 ruling will remain in effect...altho there is some kind of transitional period upto 2013 regarding new cars and commercial vehicles.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:19 pm »
Yes, article is old but that was posted for readers that dont know what the block excemption is about.

There was a meeting in Brussels on the 1st of this month where it was agreed that the ruling will expire on the 15th of this month but with a 2 year notice period before it is reviewed, then manufacturers will make their own minds up, but news from the German manufacturers (they all hated the block excemption rules) doesnt look good

“Any manufacturer’s haste to get dealers signed up to new agreements is dictated primarily by their own commercial needs, not legal requirements."

That is the official word, so manufacturers will be able to do as they like from the 15th July 2013 as they will have no legal requirement as far as block excemption for servicing or parts. 

h4rdy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 10:55:12 pm »
I wouldn't buy a car that this applied to so thats one customer gone!

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:55:46 pm »
That's not going to happen! My manager wouldve known of this and told us by now! I don't think there's anything to worry about  :happy2:
MK5 Golf GTI Edition 30|APR Stage 2+|Milltek Non Res TBE Decat|ITG Intake| Forge Twintercooler|Autotech HPFP Internals|Forge DV|R8 Oil Cap|AP Coilovers|WALK Kit|ECS Dog Mount| THS Mounts|Eibach F&R Anti Roll Bars|Sachs Uprated Clutch

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:10:57 pm »
Its already happened, but nobody is sure wether or not the manufacturers will decide to implement any changes. The manufacturers will be the last to tell anyone but the rumors surrounding Audi seem scary. I have spoken to 3 people today (all involved in the supply of car parts) that have info about Audi making big changes to the their supply of parts.     

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 11:52:44 am »
Well if audi are looking to it then it must the the VAG group on the whole as I can't see them only doing it to the one brand...

On the other hand if this did go ahead where would it leave all the independent garages, etc?? or would they have to become approved by the motor companies and effectively become dealers??