Make a donation

Author Topic: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - Now replaced with a proper car!  (Read 145503 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Janner's Fabia vRS Update: Its APR time!!!!!!!
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2012, 10:32:31 pm »
I've talked myself out of it now though.  Its certainly not needed for cooling on my car with my current setup, so for me to get it id be after the power gain and for the bhp/£ its not that good.  I kindof expected bigger gains tbh

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2012, 10:34:39 pm »
Not bothered with WMI personally.  :happy2:

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2012, 10:55:41 pm »
These cars are like a modern day version of a renault 5 gt turbo. Only most of them went bang when pushed hard. DSG does have its limits but I am sure APR will sort something out. I still prefer the good old manual box though.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2012, 11:13:23 pm »
Tunings boring if you do it the proven easy way.  

Trying new stuff and pushing boundries is exciting I find.  Its why i got bored of my octavia

I was actually going to sell this after a year,but I love it now

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2012, 08:13:30 am »
I was the same with RS Focus trying new things etc. Ive decided to keep my Octy simple as I am planning on buying a track day tool at some point, so am keeping my Octy for the road.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:50 am »
Tunings boring if you do it the proven easy way.  

Trying new stuff and pushing boundries is exciting I find.  Its why i got bored of my octavia

I was actually going to sell this after a year,but I love it now

I agree in part. I suppose it depends if you can afford to fix it if it goes pop and arent bothered about a warranty on a £5k gearbox.

I like to let other people be guinea pigs, as do many others, because they cant affod to plough all the cash into the development. However, i aplaud those that do, like yourself and John, because it makes it eventually easier for the masses to grab hold of the same modifications once the bugs have all been ironed out.  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21:38 am »
This is why I chose APR. If something goes wrong ive got the assurance that they will sort it.  Alot of tthe smaller companies out there wouldn't want to pay for any damages I bet

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2012, 08:27:37 am »
This is why I chose APR. If something goes wrong ive got the assurance that they will sort it.  Alot of tthe smaller companies out there wouldn't want to pay for any damages I bet

So if the engine throws a rod, APR will cover the rebuild? If the DSG clutch packs disintegrate, likewise? Good assurance, but i bet there are caveats and very specific limits.  :innocent:

However, i simply cannot wait to see what these little engines and gearboxes are capable once all the R&D and tweaks are completed. Who knows, it might be a direction i take in the future.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2012, 08:59:31 am »
APR wil have to hand back Si's car working as that is how he left it with them. It has the dual benefit of APR not having to buy a development motor and Si getting a cracking deal with more power at the end of it. Win,win  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:53 am »
My car is the BETA test car and under the cover.  You should speak to them, honestly, they are great to work with.  They told me they're assurance cover straight away before we started.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2012, 09:28:44 am »
Would that after care go with anyone else as well though, not just you for being willing with your car to be the test mule?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:11 am »
Thats something i dont know but when APR release the software and any hardware required it will be within the limitations of the engine/dsg gence why its a long time to develop this

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2012, 05:20:30 pm »
Small update

Finally fitted the Braille battery.  I installed it on its side secured top the battery housing with heavy duty velcro.  I then installed velcro straps to go over the top.  Need a little further work to get it looking smarter.  I need to get some different velcro that doesnt have a sticky back.  Initially i thought it velcro wasnt going to be enough, but it really really is stuck there as we found out trying to remove it earlier.

So, now with more room in the engine bay, we fitted the VWRacing intake (for the Polo GTI).  I could have had the Fabia setup, but im not convinced by where that collects its air feed and think the Polo setup makes more sense.

Whilst i was there i nipped across to MArlin Motorsport to run my car on their dyno to see how the low boost maps are performing.

As said previously the car is running on the BETA test maps.  Initial maps were running higher boost of upto 1.8Bar but the DSG kept kicking up a hissy fit because of the torque, so for the time being whilst i need my car we have reduced the boost to much lower levels (lower than a stage 1 1.4TSI with stock turbo!!).

I have 4 maps on my cruise stalk currently with boost outputs ranging from 1.4Bar to 1.48Bar, but each has a different ramping rate and have differing characteristics.  For the time being I have chosen to go with the 1.48Bar setup, but with a slower ramp of boost pressure.  From the dyno sheets you can see it has a loss of around 20hp in the midrange, however it is much more tractable, whilst also making around 5Hp more than the others.  

When my car goes back to APR for the next batch of R&D the plan is to sort the DSG out and then use the turbo to its full potential.  I dread to think how much quicker this car would be with another 0.5Bar of boost!!!

So the dyno runs.  The dyno operator at Marlin was having a nightmare with my car wheelspinning on the rollers, so we ended up having me and him sat inside and 2 guys sitting on the bonnet lol.

these are the other maps i have on my cruise stalk for use currently.

This is the map that my car is driving around in currently.  Notice the torque is building much smoother.

Look forward to the next installment which will have the final maps sorted with a potential DSG tweak and much more boost!!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2012, 05:23:20 pm »
As a reference

The Golf R ran 330Hp so the dyno doesnt appear to be a generous setup by any means

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2012, 05:46:09 pm »
Is the VWR intake basically a rebranded ITG?