Make a donation

Author Topic: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - Now replaced with a proper car!  (Read 145424 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - The car is back home finally!!
« Reply #480 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:13 pm »
I was bored this evening, so i thought id use the windows movie maker and make a vid of the silverstone trackday in September.

Compliments to the mike the camera man  :grin:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

That was on the earlier map which misfired at the top end so was only revving to 5.5k all day.  Only chassis mods were the springs and poly bushes.  Would love to try it again now with all the other stuff I have fitted now.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »
Just back from Mallory Park, not a bad day, but not the best either  :ashamed:

I thought last year at Mallory was wet but this year it was much worse.  It rained consistently all day and the track pretty much had 3 m wide streams of water midway around Gerrards, in the braking zones at the end of the Stebbe straight & shaws hairpin and another pool of water exiting the devils elbow where the track goes off camber  :driver:

LOADS of red flags from cars, (one in particular, who repeatedly tried over taking everyone on the outside of Gerrards  :fighting: )

I had a few brown pants moments with the standing water but considering i was on worn federal 595RSR semi slicks i was mighty impressed with the car, it was able to put the power down nicely and could still be thrown about almost as much as in the dry.  I had a pair of alloys with new federals on to put on the rear if it got to tail happy in the rain, but never needed them in the end.

I started the day on the 98 ron (250hp) map but found it to aggressive low down for the conditions, so i swapped to the 95 ron (240Hp) map which was much easier to get traction with.  Performance wise i was just about able to hang on to a Focus RS Mountune for a few laps which I was pretty happy with especially considering he was on summer tyres and I was on semi slicks and that was on the 95 ron map  :jumpmove:

Sacked it early though after only about 70 laps.  Bad guts and a massive headache all day, so after people started going off more frequently, and with loads of mud from the "offs" on the track i just packed up and went home.

Plus with about 70 laps combined with the 30 mile return trip up the motorway returned a nice 22mpg  :innocent:

And im banning my brother from driving my car on track again.  He got overtaken by a Citreon C2 VTR  :ashamed:   :grin:  

Dont think ill bother with Mallory Park again though, its to short and starts to become boring after a while.  Never had that feeling on other tracks before.

Oh and Mintex M1144 pads are crap
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:34:13 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #482 on: December 29, 2012, 03:44:14 pm »
And im banning my brother from driving my car on track again.  He got overtaken by a Citreon C2 VTR  :ashamed:   :grin: 

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #483 on: December 29, 2012, 03:45:13 pm »
Why were the M1144s crap ? Not enough heat?

I threw mine in the bin after 1 track day tho so didn't like them either  :signLOL:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #484 on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:16 pm »
Why were the M1144s crap ? Not enough heat?

I threw mine in the bin after 1 track day tho so didn't like them either  :signLOL:

They started to fade.  The Ferrodo Ds2500s managed much better on a much faster dry track(silverstone) on a hotter day than these mintex pads did on a wet track on a cool dday.  Fade after 2-3 laps and its only 1.35miles long

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #485 on: December 29, 2012, 06:26:03 pm »
That's crap.  I will give the relevant feedback to Dave.  DS3000's next time.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #486 on: December 29, 2012, 06:32:41 pm »
That's crap.  I will give the relevant feedback to Dave.  DS3000's next time.

:happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #487 on: December 29, 2012, 06:40:05 pm »
I''ve not had much success with the m1144's either, and I did persevere with them, but they went off on the way to the last trackday,  although we did go via a section of the triangle :driver:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #488 on: December 29, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »
I''ve not had much success with the M1144's either, and I did persevere with them, but they went off on the way to the last trackday,  although we did go via a section of the triangle :driver:
I had them on the Octavia, but i dont remember them being this bad.  Poverty reckons the M1155 is a good pad, but after today Im not sure id go with them.  The DS2500 is way ahead in terms of stopping power, so a DS3000 will be even better.  Knowing my luck id get the M1155 and find out they are only realistically comparable to a DS2500

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #489 on: December 29, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »
Found them shocking tbh, and the only thing I could get at short notice was ebc yellow,  they stood up to everything for 2 trackdays, they didn't look very well afterwards but they coped, ruined me wheels though

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #490 on: December 29, 2012, 07:07:54 pm »
I wouldnt touch the EBC pads.  Ive had them in the past and they crumbled way before the pad was even close to being out of material.

I hate expensive consumables on my car, but i think in the end ill probably just accept the price and install Pagid RS29s.  Ill try the DS3000 first though, hopefully they are a vast improvement on both the DS2500 and M1144 pads.

Today also highlighted that the standard engine mounts need replacing.  You could hear/feel the clunk on the downshift when breaking heavily.  Vibratechnik engine mounts are next i think

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #491 on: December 29, 2012, 07:14:57 pm »
Agreed, there is plenty of meat left on them but i wouldn't put them back on the car. I've got pagid blues in the ttrs calipers now but have yet to use them in anger, they feel good on the road, but hoping for good things

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jtqjubm9vkdi0rm45aon1kgu3e&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #492 on: December 29, 2012, 07:16:25 pm »
Pagid RS4-2??

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #494 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:20 pm »
The problem is the more track orientated you go the noisier they are for every day use and the worse the cold bite is. There isnt the perfect pad for all occasions i dont think, and how often do you do track days?

Have one set for day to day and another for the track and just put them on the night before. Bit of PITA but so is brake squeal and so is brake fade :rolleye: