Make a donation

Author Topic: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - Now replaced with a proper car!  (Read 145402 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - The car is back home finally!!
« Reply #495 on: December 29, 2012, 07:42:09 pm »
Have one set for day to day and another for the track and just put them on the night before. Bit of PITA but so is brake squeal and so is brake fade :rolleye:

thats something i might well do

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #496 on: December 29, 2012, 07:44:26 pm »
Didn't think that was advisable due to the different materials on the same disc so performance is not as good.

Unless you have 2nd set of discs as well!!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: December 29, 2012, 07:54:40 pm »
Didn't think that was advisable due to the different materials on the same disc so performance is not as good.

Unless you have 2nd set of discs as well!!

as above, the different pads can leave deposits on the same disc leading to vibration

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #498 on: December 29, 2012, 08:11:24 pm »
All depends on the makes of pads.  I have the stock pads in most of the time then switch to rs29's for track.  They are great pads but kill discs.  Even great from cold.  Don't squeal on track but a day on the road will make your ears bleed.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #499 on: December 30, 2012, 05:57:25 pm »
All depends on the makes of pads.  I have the stock pads in most of the time then switch to rs29's for track.  They are great pads but kill discs.  Even great from cold.  Don't squeal on track but a day on the road will make your ears bleed.

I had a cabby in the Mountune Focus RS that i mentioned earlier and tbh power wise(350hp) it didnt feel much faster than my car, but the braking power (365mm Alcons with Pagid RS29 pads) was nothing short of immense and that was in a 1500kg car.  Never heard any squealing either.  If the DS2500 or Pagid RS29s give me that level of braking performance i will be a very happy man.

He was telling me that the Pagids dont eat the discs as much as people say and 1 discs will last 3 full sets of pagids before replacement is needed.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #500 on: December 30, 2012, 06:05:17 pm »
They kill discs.  Used to fit them to the lambos, xbows,  r26r's etc and they would eat stock,  AP and perf friction discs.  They also start to crumble with around 40% left.   Endless pads were loads better.  The lambo did the 24 hour race on one set of discs and we only changed the front pads as a precaution.  Literally no wear on the discs where the pagids would do a set of pads and discs per 4 hour race.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #501 on: December 30, 2012, 06:06:49 pm »
They kill discs.  Used to fit them to the lambos, xbows,  r26r's etc and they would eat stock,  AP and perf friction discs.  They also start to crumble with around 40% left.   Endless pads were loads better.  The lambo did the 24 hour race on one set of discs and we only changed the front pads as a precaution.  Literally no wear on the discs where the pagids would do a set of pads and discs per 4 hour race.

Endless pads?

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: December 30, 2012, 06:11:13 pm »
Get the credit card out if you want some.  They will last 4 to 5 times longer than the rs29s.  Google Endless.  Project Mu pads are equally as good as the Endless.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #503 on: December 30, 2012, 06:14:33 pm »
Get the credit card out if you want some.  They will last 4 to 5 times longer than the rs29s.  Google Endless.  Project Mu pads are equally as good as the Endless.

Jesus christ  :surprised:.  No thanks they are only for a fabia worth 10k lol.  Ill stick with the DS3000 and Pagid RS29 options i think.

So they outlast other pads substantially, but dont eat discs and give better braking performance.  That seems a tough challenge
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:18:06 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #504 on: December 30, 2012, 06:17:01 pm »
Was gonna mention the endless mx72 or the ma45b the M3 lot swear by them on the ring. They reckon they pay for themselves in the long run but as your ditching the homomobile in the summer perhaps not so good.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #505 on: December 30, 2012, 06:31:15 pm »
Get the credit card out if you want some.  They will last 4 to 5 times longer than the rs29s.  Google Endless.  Project Mu pads are equally as good as the Endless.

Jesus christ  :surprised:.  No thanks they are only for a fabia worth 10k lol.  Ill stick with the DS3000 and Pagid RS29 options i think.

So they outlast other pads substantially, but dont eat discs and give better braking performance.  That seems a tough challenge

I thought it was too good to be true.  Until the pads proved it was.  I will prob run some next year when I change to the 362mm setup.  Long term I won't have to spend as much as the discs and pads will last.  They perform better than the rest too.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #506 on: December 30, 2012, 06:36:53 pm »
They reckon they pay for themselves in the long run but as your ditching the homomobile in the summer perhaps not so good.

I dont mind spending out as ill sell it all on when i strip it back anyway so its not a total loss.  For some bizarre reason Id love t get the car working 100% perfect on track before i sell it.  Engine mounts and brake pads are the standout issues for the minute, i should have the engine mounts sorted very soon from another forum member, pads are on the menu.

Another issue the car has is getting the power down on low speed tight corners.  I think it would really benefit from a LSD, maybe a slight reduction in low down power/torque. Id love to have a linear map on it but Keith reckons they tried and couldnt do it because its to difficult to do on this ECU.  Jabbasport did it though and it felt great on that map.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #507 on: December 30, 2012, 06:44:31 pm »
I ran RS29s on the 135i both road and track all year round.

No squeal, no fade, minimal disc wear and there was still half left on them when I sold the car - despite 10k and 6 track days.

I had a fair bit of cooling hooked up to them, which is obviously easier when there's no driveshafts in the way. Maybe that's the key?
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #508 on: December 30, 2012, 06:46:08 pm »
I had a fair bit of cooling hooked up to them, which is obviously easier when there's no driveshafts in the way. Maybe that's the key?

Thats something I havent even looked at tbh.  Might be worht having a look at sooner rather than later.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #509 on: December 30, 2012, 06:54:34 pm »
The Pagids have killed off the discs on my Exige, though they do what they say on the tin, they need changing soon. All the Exige boys dont look any further than the performance friction pads, type 01.  :happy2: