Make a donation

Author Topic: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - Now replaced with a proper car!  (Read 145640 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: JannerSy's Mk2 Fabia vRS 1.4TSI AKA The Golf Cart update: Car in pieces
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2011, 08:27:03 pm »
Hmm, that's going to add at least 6.5kg to the front end of the car just in radiator fluid.

I may try the water/meth route first and see what that gives me in terms of cooling. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2011, 08:32:10 pm »
That rad looks amazing.  I'm going to have to speak to them about one for the vRS and our s3.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2011, 08:43:53 pm »
It all looks very welll made to, Sy  :smiley:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 08:45:12 pm »
I'm going for reliabilty first though.  The weight loss or gain isn't a huge concern for me, whereas the heat issues and longevity  are.

Removing  the 25 kg weights tomorrow from the rear bumper
That rad looks amazing.  I'm going to have to speak to them about one for the vRS and our s3.
I belive they might also have one for them. They are breaking into the vag market now so id imagine they would be keen

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 01:01:45 pm »
Well i removed the rear bumper and the ballast weights from the car today.  Almost gave up as one torx screws was defeating me for about 45 minutes because i couldnt get to it well enough to crack it then unscrew.

So i removed the wheel and arch lining in the end.  Job done.

I cant believe they literally just bolted 25kg of metal weight to the rear crash beam.  Easy and cheap method of weight loss though

Just driven it, and it is notably improved with the back end being alot more lively.  Much less understeer, definitely a bigger difference than i expected to be honest.  Probably to do with the fact that they were right out behind the rear wheels that makes it so much more noticable

Pic below is not my car, but the weights were fitted to the left hand side of the tubular crash beam

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:05:55 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 01:20:18 pm »
Just driven it, and it is notably improved with the back end being alot more lively.

Sounds ideal for the Homomobile.  :booty: :wink:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 01:32:13 pm »
Just driven it, and it is notably improved with the back end being alot more lively.

:grin: :grin:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 03:19:10 pm »
I still can't believe that they simply bolt 25kg of ballast to the back of the car....madness!!
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »

:grin: :grin:

Thing is, its made the back end loose, i much prefer a tight back end. 

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:03 pm »

Quickest Tesco run I've done in a while...  :driver:

Saying that I've never lived 100yards from tesco before  :grin:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
Re: JannerSy's Mk2 Fabia vRS 1.4TSI Update: Car sporting new goodies
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 04:22:08 pm »
^^^
Probaby is quicker to walk

Quote from: Hurdy;134066
If I was going to criticise the handling at all it would be to say that I prefer trail braking and may uprate the rear brakes to a 256mm vented set up.

If you want to trail brake i would leave your rears as standard then.

I agree with hurdy, its not tail happy by any means, just alot keener to turn in.  Still plenty of understeer there though which the Rear ARB will eliminate most of.

-

Shiny new parts compliments of TFSI_Mikes spare parts catalogue

Braille B14 115 lightweight battery.

OEM battery is 20kg, Braille B14 115 battery is 5kg.

So between that and the ballast weights on the rear crash beam ive dropped 40kg of weight off of the car now. :o

Just need to sort out some terminals and then ill be getting her fitted.

If it lasts at least 4-5 days without recharging or being used ill be happy.

Lightweight brakes and alloys to come

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2011, 04:35:31 pm »

Looking forward to seeing what you make of it.

Just charging the homo pink NetBook for the homo mobile  :happy2:

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2011, 07:11:22 pm »
Looking good. Pm me and i will be happyto get you a price for the wheels. Would be good to help out with the car :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2011, 03:18:10 pm »
Should have a water meth kit ordered for the new year, trying to decide whether to go AEM or Devils Own eventially ending with my car running a hybrid turbo which leads me onto software.

Current plans involve me heading to Shark Performance in the new year for my car to be custom tuned to take account of the new cooling mods i have fitted and the tbe ill have fitted in Jan.  Theres quite alot of potential in the engine now the heat issues have gone away.  The only issue being the map isn't adjustable/switchable once installed so water meth injection can only be used as a bolt on mod and the map not tuned for it because if i tune for it the wmi needs to operate all the time which isn't an route I want to go down.  The shame is that if the ecu wasn't encrypted I could use the shark sts system to switch maps but it won't work on encrypted ecu's, then I wouldn't be looking else where.

So the only other options for switchable maps are from either APR or REVO which would allow me to have multiple maps on hand for use with and without WMI.

APR are the safer option as they tend to err on the cautious side of tuning, however I've only found 1 guy, luckily local to me with an APR stage 2 which goes very well indeed, but he has had a couple mis fire issues.  This would allow me to switch to a higher octane map with the cruise stalk when using meth.  Another positive is they are currently working towards a hybrid upgrade so its a future proofed tune.  Truth be told when I originally looked for a remap the toss up was between APR and Shark, but Shark made an offer that couldn't be refused.

REVO, as you might have guessed have never been my favourite tuner, as I sometimes think can push it to far to attain figures.  Plus a fair few mates have had issues a plenty with them on other cars incl the 1.4tsi.   I've seen alot of issues with REVO tuned tfsi engines, however the majority of time could easily be attributed to guys fiddling with their settings with the SPS switches after the map has been installed.  At leadt with the 1.4tsi your limited to changing settings to preset maps B or C which is essentially just a higher octane map ideal for WMI usage. 
One positive for REVO I think is that they have easily tuned the largest amount of vehicles for the 1.4TSI hence, as a result have experienced the highest amount of issues since they have the majority, so they know their way around this engine better than pretty much all the other tuners and their latest versions obviously reflect that.

So I'm in a predicament

Do I stay with Shark and have them custom map it and have the water meth as a pure bolt on mod only, but require further custom mapping when I go hybrid at a later date.  They have a very good map but not future proofed for my planned modifications.  I have good history with Shark and customer and aftersales support are exemplary.

Or go with APR who will have a very safe option but not make as much as revo, but can support future mods as they are already developing hybrid options, but have a scarce UK dealer network.

Or go REVO who have the most experience with this engine, lots of dealerships, of which some are skoda retailers so warranty is helped along, but could push it to far potentially causing in issue.

Choices choices.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:31:18 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »
just call revo tell them what you want from the car and the mods you have and will be fitting and they will get the car how you want it simple and also have the switch to adjust to other settings you want so you can run less boost or anything you want. No brainer for me and i have had apr maps before just don't rate em at all had probs with my first 2.0tfsi with it on as the would not start sometimes with it on and also on a cupra r stage 2 apr set starting having probs after a while and car only had 20k on clock when i sold it so for me revo nothing else. Its your money and your car  :smiley:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:57:32 pm by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box