Make a donation

Author Topic: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - Now replaced with a proper car!  (Read 145514 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Janner's Fabia vRS Update: Its APR time!!!!!!!
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2012, 04:52:02 pm »
Themap isn't finished john. Today was a test day to see how the car would react with different map.  I've been running it with 4 different maps of various settings via the cruise to see how they react.  All this has been done with stock intake as well

The final R&D will be going on until I get back from afghan in december.  They have the car for six months. 

Ask Pov though,thiscar absolutely flies once rolling but I think the dsg isn't happy with the torque  from the launch though.

Need a transmission mount asap.  LOTS of rocking :sick:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »
12.2 is an awesome time but thought it would have had a faster terminal than that. I guess JonnyC's fastest time for a K04 car has gone for a burton then! (but maybe still fastest FWD!) :driver:

Re the maps. I spoke to Keith today about having APR on, but I will hold on until at least after the 30-130 day for now. Mine isn't going into limp mode and is fast enough to keep with the Revo stage 2 map on setting C.

A DSG map would be great, but I guess where would the weak link in the transmission go then? :confused:

Surprised you haven't got a lower engine/transmission mount though - mine helps, but I reckon the car needs full engine mounts. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »
So today i got my car back from APR after the initial 2 days of calibration after fitting the LOBA LO270.  First things of note; Its nowhere near as fast as the Golf R :grin:, it needs better brakes, it looks like it is on stilts, the front tyres have been overwhelmed in 1st/2nd gear,  but the sound of the Fabia stereo is better  :booty:  Oh and on my first test drive i managed to get a puncture in my rear tire :fighting:

The car with the initial higher boost BETA test map is rapid, simple as that, and it feels very very smooth.

However it was suffering misfires.  Something which doesnt happen on the stock turbo/stage 2 maps.  Keith has spent pretty much the entire last two days trying to fathom out exactly why the car is misfiring, it is even doing it when on idle!!!  We've done 5 varieties of new plugs; all different heat grades: with varying spark plug gaps, coil packs replaced, fueling maps altered and critiqued to see if its fueling/injector related. None of this was found to be at fault.  Keith did say the new coilpacks helped reduce alot of the idle misfires though.(these are on a mass back order by dealerships, so they must be changing alot on warranty)

What they have found that stops the misfires is running lower boost.  This 1.4TSI engine does not like high boost. The misfire occurs at 6800rpm, so its not in everyday powerband, but its still there and needs sorting.  Over the next few months they plan on getting around this issue either with software or hardware tweaks, because essentially its pointless paying <£2k for the hybrid turbo if your not going to run it at its potential.

Another thing we have highlighted is the DSG isnt happy right now.  From a rolling start there doesn't appear to be an issue, however from a standing start its spitting its dummy out, so more work is being doen to find out the limits of the box itself.  I feel that there might be a need for a DSG remap though!

The purpose of today at Santapod was to test the BETA files against the limits of the DSG/engine etc, find weaknesses, flaws etc.  We tried various settings on maps today to see what maps worked better, or with no interference from the DSG.  Keith plans on spending a few months of R&D on it over the next few weeks and whilst im working away from May-Nov so ill be coming back to a much different car.

TBH, i think i have been my own worst enemy on this one.  I knew keith had only 2 days worth of calibration completed due to the LOBA turbo not arriving as early as expected, plus i knew keith was investigating the misfires, yet for some reason i expected to be receiving a near completed car :ashamed:

Currently driving around on a low boost map.  Still bloody quick though!!

Its also a pleasure to see an indicated 47mpg again :grin:  Even managed 36mpg on the way there in convoy and at points we were making some serious progress

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2012, 10:29:54 pm »
Had two very surprised, and dare i say it probably embarrassed skyline and supra drivers today though.  Thats despite them smashing me off the line.

Times were terrible though.

think SteveP had a good laugh watching me cock up the launches  :grin:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2012, 12:47:20 pm »
What were your times then Sy :popcornsoda:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »
Not good is what they were.  Im not going to publicize them yet as its not complete yet, it was quicker than my previous attempts, although they went much smoother with less traction issues or DSG interference. 

My 60ft time best was 2.8 :sad1:

None of my runs went without a hitch. 

The DSG autoshifts just before the redline so pretty much every time i pressed the paddle to change up the DSG did it itself: the result was missing out most of 3rd gear as it went from 2nd to 4th gear :fighting:  Need to stop that auto shift.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #216 on: March 11, 2012, 03:11:07 pm »
You changing like this Si?

t/c off, sport mode, use 1st,2nd and 3rd in sport and then manually flick into 4th about 6200rpm, run to the same in 4th and then into 5th at the same rpm's.

You can short shift in 1st second and then let 3rd pull and autochange up, then 4th to autochange up.

Both give me similar results and repeatable to within a few tenths each time.

I'm trying to resist doing it too many times now as I've proven the performance and a dry clutch system in the DSG isn't as good as the wet clutch one in the RS3 or GTI.
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »

t/c off, sport mode, use 1st,2nd and 3rd in sport and then manually flick into 4th about 6200rpm, run to the same in 4th and then into 5th at the same rpm's.
You can short shift in 1st second and then let 3rd pull and autochange up, then 4th to autochange up.
Both give me similar results and repeatable to within a few tenths each time.

TC off, Start in sport.  Short shift from 1st into 2nd due to traction being no existent.  I also had to change into 3rd as well due to wheels spinning. Changing up from there on is no issue.   1/2/3rd changes is where the issue lies.  The wheels are spinning like crazy and bouncing off the redline which cause the autoshift, which is about the same time as my trying to change up to pre-empt the wheel spin.  I think once i get some decent tyres on there this issue wont be so bad as it wont spin up so crazy

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 7
  • My VRS
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2012, 03:35:50 pm »
Torque limiter for 1st and 2nd maybe?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2012, 05:35:05 pm »
Its something we have discussed

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2012, 08:48:06 pm »
Bloomin' heck! You REALLY need some decent tyres! :surprised:

Golf R gone.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »
I'll be happy with a Stage 2 map i think when the time comes. :happy2: Pointless chasing straight line power imo. Commented similar on Hurdys build thread. I just think these cars are super with 230bhp and for me that will be enough.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2012, 09:31:35 pm »
I agree.  I'm not chasing figures either.  I've said all along I think 250hp is the sweet spot for these. I think any more than 270hp will be to much.  Ill know how traction is once i get some decent tyres.  Currently my tyres are in dire need of replacement.  I just didn't want to swap them whilst there was a cold spell.

However the Thing is, if you want 230hp you need water meth or a bigger turbo.  The water meth has more to go wrong, and will have cost hurdy the same as what it did for me to get this turbo.  So I'm hapoy with this route.   

Stage 2 realistically will yield 220hp with the normal bolt ons.  But I agree, 220hp in these is very nice

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »
220 then.  :happy2: That will do me. Just waiting to see whether VW recall the cars for engine work to safeguard them.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2012, 10:21:59 pm »
Water meth will cost about £1k to fit and fuel for a year. The difference is once you have the kit you can transfer it to any other car for very little layout. :wink:
Golf R gone.