Make a donation

Author Topic: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - Now replaced with a proper car!  (Read 145387 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - The car is back home finally!!
« Reply #555 on: January 01, 2013, 11:35:56 pm »
i Just reused the shims that came with the original tarox Corsa pads and chucked on loads a healthy dab of Cera  tc and not had any squealing at all.  Unbelievably sticky stuff though

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #556 on: January 02, 2013, 04:09:46 pm »
Compliments of JamieDodger I now have set of engine mounts to fit.

I just need to get the gearbox mount now for the full set

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #557 on: January 02, 2013, 08:38:17 pm »
Engine mounts do make a massive difference and should help you put the power down. I have a set of THS ones on my octy and love em to  bits. Though I may be selling them soon along with my bcs zorst,  as I may be selling up for a Focus RS mk2 now.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #558 on: January 02, 2013, 09:16:30 pm »
Though I may be selling them soon along with my bcs zorst,  as I may be selling up for a Focus RS mk2 now.

Do it. Great cars.  Id be so tempted by a Meg RS265 though, and they are cheaper.

Mine was just about keeping up on the straights with a Mk2 Mountune FRS at Mallory although i guess the straights aren't really long enough for him to show off his extra power so much.  He took me out in it after, really nice guy, loved cars  :drinking:.  It didnt feel faster than mine tbh, marginally so if anything, but he had the Alcon/mountune BBK and the braking power was spectacular.  You could feel the LSD while it was cornering as well,

What i will say though is whilst we were there I was managing over 10mpg extra than he was and the difference over a lap was marginal.  He fueled up his with Jerry cans a few times because it was doing about 5mpg lol
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:21:30 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #559 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51:56 pm »
Like a little matchbox car  :grin:

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #560 on: January 02, 2013, 10:02:47 pm »
I like how well rounded the Focus is and a simple remap to 340 bhp is all I would do, as its pretty well set up from the factory. Plus the awesome noise from the engine!
Looks like your car is pretty much finished. Any other planned mods for it?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #561 on: January 02, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
I like how well rounded the Focus is and a simple remap to 340 bhp is all I would do, as its pretty well set up from the factory. Plus the awesome noise from the engine!
Looks like your car is pretty much finished. Any other planned mods for it?

Depends what i end up doing with the car full stop.  Part of me wants to sell it, but the other part says keep it because its pretty good now.

Basically im not interested in any more power at all.  Id consider doing the dampers, although i doubt i would see a huge improvement as it seems pretty well set up as it is.  The one thing this car does need is an LSD.  Then it will be sorted.  Plus if i buy an LSD ill probably just keep the car and strip it out lol.

as for the FRS, the only thing it has over the Meganne is the engine note.  Great car though.  holding onto the money nicely as well!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #562 on: April 07, 2013, 10:27:16 pm »
So Sy, how is the VRS going. You asking about mine made me think about yours. Are you still interested in mapping the DSG box now a map is available or are you going to just enjoy her?
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #563 on: April 07, 2013, 10:30:39 pm »
So Sy, how is the VRS going. You asking about mine made me think about yours. Are you still interested in mapping the DSG box now a map is available or are you going to just enjoy her?
Im more interested in taking a match and setting fire to the thing.

Steering rack snapped loosing all power steering and potentially the pump as well.

So im looking at well over £1k repair bill.  Thats the catalyst for me.  Its only a low mileage car;<17k, and if thats failed already with only minimal amount of trackdays and otherwsie mostly motorway miles then its not worth pushing forward with.

Spo the little faith i had in her as well and truly dissapeared.  no longer do i just have to think about misfires, oil burning and piston failure, its also steering rack failure as well.  sh*tE CAR!!!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #564 on: April 07, 2013, 10:37:22 pm »
Im more interested in taking a match and setting fire to the thing.

Steering rack snapped loosing all power steering and potentially the pump as well.

So im looking at well over £1k repair bill.  Thats the catalyst for me.  Its only a low mileage car;<17k, and if thats failed already with only minimal amount of trackdays and otherwsie mostly motorway miles then its not worth pushing forward with.

Spo the little faith i had in her as well and truly dissapeared.  no longer do i just have to think about misfires, oil burning and piston failure, its also steering rack failure as well.  sh*tE CAR!!!

Ouch, not good Sy.  :scared:

I was going to mention what Lucifer is doing to his Ibiza, but seems moot now.

I dipped out of mine after Steve Jr tempted me with the R. I'm kind of glad he did now!

So, what is next on the agenda? Going back to stock and selling up?
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #565 on: April 07, 2013, 10:40:56 pm »
So, what is next on the agenda? Going back to stock and selling up?

I think so.  As good as the car is when its working, its not an enjoyable ownership if you know what i mean.

Looking at big barges like a second hand BMW 7 series, Merc S Class or similar to replace it with a small trackday car like a Clio as well.  Although I would love an Octy Estate vRS  :driver:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #566 on: April 07, 2013, 11:18:13 pm »
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'd be worried about the long term prospects of the VRS too.

So, why not get a 182 cup and an Audi barge?  At least you'll still have a VAG motor. The Phaeton Diesel is a hell of a barge too, or even the Skoda Superb?

Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #567 on: April 07, 2013, 11:29:04 pm »
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'd be worried about the long term prospects of the VRS too.

So, why not get a 182 cup and an Audi barge?  At least you'll still have a VAG motor. The Phaeton Diesel is a hell of a barge too, or even the Skoda Superb?

BMW and Merc barges have better Engines than the Audi A6/A8 range IMO.  I do like the phateon though. Something like 182 will be on the cards or anything else of similar ilk tbh.  Ill be trying to buy one ready prepared though fro the likes of Pistonheads classified tin tops etc

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #568 on: April 07, 2013, 11:48:44 pm »

BMW and Merc barges have better Engines than the Audi A6/A8 range IMO.  I do like the phateon though. Something like 182 will be on the cards or anything else of similar ilk tbh.  Ill be trying to buy one ready prepared though fro the likes of Pistonheads classified tin tops etc

Hard to disagree with that reasoning Sy. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #569 on: April 08, 2013, 09:13:17 pm »
The 182 cup is a fantastic car handling wise but I didnt like the engine. It always felt like it was going to blow up near the red line. But it did like to be revved and sounded awesome inside when on wide open throttle. I had the Renault press car that was featured in evo mag HN54JYH was the reg plate. If I was tracking it id want a low pressure turbo fitted to help with the slow exit speeds.