Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine cover removal  (Read 1754 times)

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
Engine cover removal
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:06:55 pm »
Hi guys,

Can someone give me a guide to removing the engine cover as I wish to paint it but don't want to break any clips or damage any other attaching components etc.

Many thanks  :happy2:
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

'91 Corrado 20vT - Project still going... and going...

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Engine cover removal
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:12:32 pm »
Quite easy mate but the first time will need a good pull. SOme of the lugs may get stuck on the bungs that stick to the cover to engine! Try and pull straight up.
They do this all the time at dealerships/tuners so dont be scared, its made better than you think!
Ed30

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:42:56 pm »
I would try to remove it with the engine warmed as this will help the bungs to release.  Lubricate with silicon spray before refitting.

There is a VW TSB which suggests to pull it from the right rear (as you look at it) as  this is the strongest part.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »
Quite easy mate but the first time will need a good pull. SOme of the lugs may get stuck on the bungs that stick to the cover to engine! Try and pull straight up.
They do this all the time at dealerships/tuners so dont be scared, its made better than you think!
I would try to remove it with the engine warmed as this will help the bungs to release.  Lubricate with silicon spray before refitting.

There is a VW TSB which suggests to pull it from the right rear (as you look at it) as  this is the strongest part.

Cheers guys, I shall give it a bash and hopefully nothing breaks  :grin:
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

'91 Corrado 20vT - Project still going... and going...

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:36:53 am »
I find the right rear to be the hardest to remove and once I've pulled the other corners, it makes it easier to pull that final one.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.