Make a donation

Author Topic: just fitted my twintake  (Read 2387 times)

Offline andyboygsi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
just fitted my twintake
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:47:58 pm »
my nice twintake arrived in the post which i purchased from a lad on here, delivery was as prompt as hell couldnt fault it

fitting it was a different story, jeezo it was a struggle. broke the engine cover and struggled massively to get the oem pipe of the turbo.

finally got it all fitted and tightened up nicely.

my question is

due to the fact the engine cover is off is it normal to hear more engine noise?

i know i am probably stating the obvious but after a wee blast i cant help but think it seems noisier at idle

cheers all

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: just fitted my twintake
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:23:20 pm »
It will sound louder,
Not sure if it is to do with the cover being off, or the fact that a hell of a lot more air is flowing into the engine than before.
Sound the business don't they?! :happy2:

Offline andyboygsi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:25:53 pm »
i can here the turbo doing its thing more and it seems a bit noisier, its not like the induction noise on a vauxhall xe that is really deep and grunty. this almost whistles at points

its more the rattly sounds when its on idle that i am hoping are down to no engine cover, either that or ive f*cked it up haha

Offline big al

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »
Has it been used before you owned it? did you ensure you put the cans on the right way around?
It does whistle when you accelerate and then when you change gear as well it will let off a whoosh noise.

Check youtube for some vids of them on cars stationary revving and compare the noise to yours.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:10 pm »

its more the rattly sounds when its on idle that i am hoping are down to no engine cover, either that or ive f*cked it up haha

....Rattly sounds are more likely to be the injectors(?) on idle. The FSI engine is well known for sounding like a diseasal when idling. You'll hear that more without an engine cover but usually from outside the car.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 01:37:02 pm »
It shouldt be rattling! unless its sat to close to the heat sheild and they are vibrating? A little tip i found out when fitting mine was to remove the OEM pipe from the turbo when its still warm! Came off soooo easy......until i realised i didnt have a 24MM spanner!!!

On the cans themselves there are arrows that indicated air in and air out! If you get it wrong ive heard that it cane mess the turbo as it will spool wrong.
Ed30

Offline big al

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 01:55:54 pm »
On the cans themselves there are arrows that indicated air in and air out! If you get it wrong ive heard that it cane mess the turbo as it will spool wrong.

Robin addressed this with forge themselves and if I remember correctly there is no real danger in putting it the wrong way around, just make sure if you take it off that you don't put it the other way around back on as it will suck all the crud into the engine then.

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 04:44:51 pm »

Robin addressed this with forge themselves and if I remember correctly there is no real danger in putting it the wrong way around, just make sure if you take it off that you don't put it the other way around back on as it will suck all the crud into the engine then.
I stand corrected!! I am just a mere mortal on this site compared to Robin! :notworthy:
Ed30

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 11:07:05 pm »

Just found this on t'tube.
Sounds like Darth Vader with bad Asthma!

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:30:49 am »
sounds a bit hideous though i guess it's hardly like you drive whilst sat on the front bumper  :laugh:

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 12:48:42 pm »
It's actually pretty quiet inside compared to some others!
Ed30

Offline andyboygsi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:04:24 am »
mine does sound like that one

i did put it on according to the arrows but i didnt really check it for dirt incase the prev had it the other way around. only time will tell now if i have done any damage. i have done around 130 mile since it went on so im sure its gonna be fine.

the rattling on idle will be the injectors.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:27 am »
mine does sound like that one

i did put it on according to the arrows but i didnt really check it for dirt incase the prev had it the other way around. only time will tell now if i have done any damage. i have done around 130 mile since it went on so im sure its gonna be fine.

the rattling on idle will be the injectors.

Personally I would have cleaned the filters before putting it on the car but that's just me...   :ashamed:
Without traction power is nothing!