Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo stage one - any other upgrades needed?  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Revo stage one - any other upgrades needed?
« on: July 30, 2011, 07:41:54 pm »
Apologies if this has been asked before but just wanted to ask how many of you who've done the stage 1 remap have upgraded other components at the same time?

I'm going to be picking up a Mk5 on Tuesday and will likely have a stage 1 remap after a month or so. I spoke to my local Revo dealer last week and he recommended also putting in a high flow panel filter at the same time. Is this fairly standard and/or are there any other hardware upgrades that should be done on stage 1? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm a newbie to this remapping game.

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Revo stage one - any other upgrades needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »
For stage 1 nothing else is required and just a panel filter really won't make much difference  :happy2:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:01:52 pm »
Nothing is 'compulsory' with stage 1 Revo, the software is designed to work safely with the standard hardware on the car  :smiley:. I did find that upgrading the brakes helped quite a lot!  :driver:

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:16:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks, guess I'll just have the remap and take it from there. I'm already thinking about further mods later after spending some time on here  :signLOL:

Mandy you have an ED30 so not surprised you went for better brakes :grin: Mines the standard GTi and I was quite surprised at how effective the brakes were when I took it for test drive - at least compared to the Mk3 I've been driving for the last 10 years!!!

I'm also trying to decide whether it's worth going for the SPS as well? It's an extra £150 plus VAT at the moment. Is it worth having? Can't see me wanting to switch it back to stock but you never know I suppose?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:13 pm »
The amount of TFSi's that I map that have failed DV's is shocking, if its not already gone its likely to go post mapping.

Get a newer revision DV in before the mapping  :happy2:

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 12:04:12 am »
The amount of TFSi's that I map that have failed DV's is shocking, if its not already gone its likely to go post mapping.

Get a newer revision DV in before the mapping  :happy2:

Thanks for the advice, will do. Which would you recommend the newer VW DV or a Forge DV. The car is an 05 so presumably it's still got the older diaphram type not unless it's already been replaced?

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 08:26:40 am »
Get the VW revision D one  :happy2:

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:50:11 pm »
Thanks Steve  :happy2:

Offline Ducky76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 10:01:02 pm »
Hi this may sound like a daft question but how do I know what revision im running? Easy 2 find out??

Cheers andy

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 11:00:09 am »

I'm also trying to decide whether it's worth going for the SPS as well? It's an extra £150 plus VAT at the moment. Is it worth having? Can't see me wanting to switch it back to stock but you never know I suppose?

I think the sps is a good idea, it allows you to store up to 3 modes. On mine I've got my everyday stage 2 map- set to run on 99ron, one set to run on 95ron- incase if I get caught out somewhere, last mode is 'valet mode' which is a non-turbo mode so car will prob reach to a max of 60mph- ideal if parking the car at an airport etc.  :grin:

As well as the 3 modes, there is also stock mode (for when car goes to dealers perhaps) and anti theft mode.

I got mine for £100 new so might be worth waiting til they do their special offers.

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 05:56:45 pm »
Thanks Mandy, yeah it does sound like a good idea when you put it that way - I like the idea of valet mode for the boy racer parking attendants :happy2: I got caught at a petrol station that only had 95 RON the other day which is a right pain. I think I'll go for it.