Make a donation

Author Topic: Martin's MK5 Golf GT TDi 140  (Read 9595 times)

Offline martinbickley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Martin's MK5 Golf GT TDi 140
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »
Having owned a Subaru Impreza for the last six years I finally got fed up of spending half my time at the petrol pump and decided to join the tractor club.

Sad to see the old car go but always said if it did, I would replace it with a Golf.  Hope I don't miss the 4WD too much come winter.

Pick up day...

First mod was to add the GT badge to the steering wheel and install my Sony system

I also got these seat belt shoulder covers cheap

I was never a fan of the standard grill, so until I sort out getting the newer GT Sport front I changed it to this

Next I added seat inserts, foot rest and GTi pedals (thanks to gulfstream11 for the inserts and foot rest)

My next smaller upgrade was to get rid of the silver ashtray and add the non-smokers version, a simple upgrade but I much prefer the black to the silver.

Pay day came and so did my next upgrade, an arm rest, bit of a bugger to fit the air ducts but a nice upgrade.  Really can't see why these aren't standard.

Now it was time to work on the outside so off came the rear valance and on went the GTi version and exhaust

I have the usual white worm on my rear badge so originally replaced it with a 3D badge but I didn't like the way it looked so I sprayed my old one and added some carbon fibre inserts.  Not decided if I will keep this or not but its much better than it was before.

I also took the opportunity to darken the rear lights R32 style.  This was very cheap and easy to do, though it did take about 4 coats until I was happy with the colour.

Also added some GTi side skirts as I really like the way the black extends from the front bumper all the way to the rear valance.

And that's all i've done so far.

Next upgrade is the front bumper.

Already have the bumper and main grill, just need to get the bumper resprayed and get the lower grills and fog lights.

Haven't decided if I will do it the cheap way and cut the bumper or stop being tight and replace the front panel etc.

I know that if you don't replace the front panel you will have trouble getting to the tow point but i'm wondering if I get a tow strap that would solve the problem?

After this my to do list looks like this: -

1) GTi Front and Rear Mud Flaps (if anyone has any spare please let me know)
2) GTi Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
3) GTi Gear Stick
4) Maybe change the wheels, although I quite like the ones I have
5) Find rocking horse droppings
6) Just behind the rocking horse droppings hopefully find some 2004 Diesel Highline Clocks

Hope you guys like what I have done so far, apologies for the picture quality.

Martin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:00:16 pm by martinbickley »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Martin's MK5 Golf GT TDi 140
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:36:17 pm »
you don't hang about Martin with the mods but liking them so far and don't be tight and do the front end properly :P :signLOL:

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:02 pm »
I was never a fan of the standard grill, so until I sort out getting the newer GT Sport front I changed it to this

5) Find rocking horse droppings

Car is coming along nicely! Get some more pics of that grill! Looks brill!

What are rocking horse droppings? :confused:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:07:19 pm by 81lly »

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:52:21 pm »
Nice to see another TDI.  Black front badge is needed imo!!  Looks great overall though, nice work.

Offline martinbickley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »
Latest update: -

R32 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel and GTi Gear Stick

Apologies for the poor quality pictures.

Martin