Make a donation

Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Geocaching
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:00:05 pm »
Any fellow Geocachers here?

Geocahing is a slightly geeky version of treasure hunting where the aim is to find a hidden “cache” using either a hand held GPS receiver or iPhone/Android app, sign the log book in the cache and log it as found on the Groundspeak Project website.  For those of you who do not know what geocaching is have a look at the video below taken from www.geochaching.com. There is something like 17,000 caches in the UK alone and well over 1.3m active caches worldwide. So no doubt there a few hidden near to you.

I started caching with some friends last year but didn’t really have much free time, it wasn’t until this year i was able to pick it up again. It doesn’t sound it BUT it is properly addictive. I try and find 1-2 each evening so on average i walk 2 miles each evening which is a great way to stay fit or in my case, lose weight!. My wife and I will be in Canada next month for a couple of weeks and i have identified 112 “quick win” caches in Vancouver, Whistler, Salmon Arm and Banff. The easy one in Banff is on top of Sulphur Mountain which 7,481 feet above sea level and a 8 minute cable car ride to the top.

Due to a recent mountain biking injury to my left knee i have been walking more than cycling of late and Geocaching has helped maintain my interest. What i especially enjoy is that most of the caches in my area are hidden in areas i have never visited in the 30 years i have lived in Winchester. It is also a great activity to do with friends and children especially during the summer. This weekend myself and five others walked something like 10 miles and found 16 caches on the south coast one of which was attached to a post 100m off shore so we had to time our visit with low tide to walk out and find it.

Some caches can be as small as a pen lid, others the size of a clip lock sandwich box or ammo box. The magnetic nano caches are normally found on the back of street signs under railings in Urban areas where concealment is the key issue, the larger clip lock and ammo boxes are typically used for rural locations where the chance of being found by none geocachers or “Muggles” (a word i personally dislike) is less. You can also get static cling trackable which attach to a vehicle window and can be logged by others using its serial number.

Some ask what is the point of it, well there isn’t really a point as such apart from searching for  sandwich boxes under bushes!  
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Thecrawf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:48 am »
I did this in my lunch time

Found a couple lodges in Salisbury

Great fun esp if you want a guide around a new city
Really do miss the mk5 Perelli rare breed of car
Audi S3 black edition 1 week old went wrong sent back to Audi
RS3 order cancelled bought C63 AMG PPP now sold after a year of expensive trips to kwik fit
New car BMW M135i loaded to the hilt

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:09:49 am »
It is far too addictive. I have found 129 caches to date a vast majority of which have been in the last 6 weeks. I have 4 planned for this evening.

Offline Thecrawf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:51:31 am »
Do you have any children?  I find they get in the way of activities or hobbies, well the comments from the wife do lol
RS3 order cancelled bought C63 AMG PPP now sold after a year of expensive trips to kwik fit

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:10:19 pm »
I don't have any children YET so i am taking the opportunity to get as much done as possible but with work, studying and DIY i don't get much time for hobbies but Geocaching is something i can dip into during downtime. I also have managed to get my wife interested in Geocaching so no nagging  :grin:

Offline Thecrawf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »
We all love it but forget to do it when we are out and about

Can you suggest any good iPhone apps?

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:53:37 pm »
The best App is the offical Geocaching app which comes in two flavours. The free version has limited functionality in that it will only show 2-3 local caches on a search where as the full version offers everything you need but does cost about £6 but IMHO it is money well spent.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 07:41:23 pm »
I wanted to try to get into this but don't have the time.

Also apparently there was a bomb scare when some dozy bint saw some guy dig out a box, put something back in and walk off, so there's a move to make it more rural.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 11:02:00 pm »
For me Geocaching is more of a seasonal hobby as the winter months are spent doing stuff indoors plus i try and combine caching with other activities like running.

I really can't see caching being pushed out of the Urban sprawl. I bet when they blowup the cache there was a show of small plastic toys and pencils as that is what you normally find in a cache!