Make a donation

Author Topic: Spraying and wrapping rear badge  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Spraying and wrapping rear badge
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:02:43 am »
I want to do a reversed rear badge i.e. black logo on silver background. Am thinking of getting a new badge and respraying it silver then getting some black vinyl wrap for the logo and carefully cutting with a sharp craft knife around the logo to reveal the silver background. Has anyone else tried this and do you have any tips about best way of doing it? Would then spray with a few coats of matt or satin laquer to finish off. My other question is about removing the old badge. Is this easy to do without damaging the whole mechanism or is it a case of getting an entire new mechanism and modding that? If not what is the best way of sticking the new badge on to the existing mechanism once I've got the old one off?

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Re: Spraying and wrapping rear badge
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »
Sounds like a good idea mate, I have just put black vinyl in the gaps which was quite tricky.  As to removing the rear badge, it can be done but you risk breaking it, probably easier to remove the whole mechanism.  :happy2:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:40:11 pm »
It depends on which badge you have i think! Mine is a 3d one which came off with a trim tool pretty easily!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 08:03:15 pm »
MMmmmm doing this myself soon.

The front badge pops off...easy, but I honestly thought the rear badge was in two parts - (background and VW stuck on top) and you could seperate easy enough?

Guess this is not the case?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 08:06:20 pm »
Mine is the one with the VW badge and a background under. My brother wrapped my background whilst it was on my car!

The badge should hopefully just go over the top!

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 08:09:25 pm »
vw part just pops/clicks off?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 08:25:45 pm »
It should do, depending on your badge. Flick the badge as if you were going to open ur boot, is there a little lip there? It should just prise off! Is your badge 3d or is the VW part flat against the background?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 08:38:18 pm »
Mines 3d type. Used to have the flat one......i.e. all in one

Offline RSam84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »
here are the rest of the pics:

to get it off when you push the badge up you can see a little hole at the base you just need to be really careful and prise it off! its got a few clips holding it on on the VW section

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 12:40:16 am »
here are the rest of the pics:

to get it off when you push the badge up you can see a little hole at the base you just need to be really careful and prise it off! its got a few clips holding it on on the VW section

Ooooh that is beautiful dude. I've now decided I want black on black like this after doing a mock up in photoshop. My badge is the flat type so I guess I need to get hold of a 3D one. Will that mean getting a complete new mechanism or can I pop the old badge off and stick a 3D one on?

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 04:30:06 pm »
I think it usually means a new badge, as the rear ones on ebay may well stick out too far off the background!