Make a donation

Author Topic: Piano Black radio surround and centre dash vents  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Piano Black radio surround and centre dash vents
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:18:40 pm »
As above, I'm looking for some piano black bits, but from over an hour of googling, it seems they don't do them. Problem is, the radio and climate surround, the centre dash and the RNS510 plastics are all different shades of anthracite which bugs me big time every time I get in the car.

My options are to have them all sprayed piano black, which I can get done, but thought I would just check if there are piano black parts out there?

Another thing is I cannot seem to remove the centre vent ducting from the cover at all. Anybody got a DIY or how to or have any idea how to remove the vent ducting?

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Piano Black radio surround and centre dash vents
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:51:40 pm »
Thanks, but no. I got the centre vent assembly out of the dash, that was the easy part. I just cannot remove the air vent ducting attached to the cover. It's pretty well stuck in there and I don't want to break anything.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 03:02:28 pm »
Sorry can't help then..  :sad1: 

I've never had need to try to get the vents out!  Good luck!

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
Thanks anyways mate.

Anybody else got any ideas?

Also, if I was to vinyl wrap these parts, would I need to remove the soft touch finish on them first, or can I just wrap over that?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »
Nobody on here wrapped or sprayed any interior parts before?

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 05:23:08 pm »
I've wrapped mine, but it was in the silver to match the other bits, the top part just reflected off the windscreen so I gave up and removed it.  Also it's a bloody nightmare and i didn't look perfect.

I did think about painting it but that's pretty permanent and you would no longer have the decals for the heating vents.  Can't find any for sale but i'm sure there are some out there.

Would love to do all the dash trim in piano black.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:10:00 pm »
Yeah, I'm still debating exactly how to go about it as I cannot for the life of me remove the vent duct assembly off the top centre bit.

With regards the decals for the vents, I was going to get some silver / light grey transfers done. I was planning on putting these on the piano black surface and then applying a layer or two of clear to seal them in. That way they can't get scratched off. Would use some good high gloss 2 pack clear laquer. That cures really hard.