Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Fans?
« on: August 06, 2011, 08:03:53 pm »
Ever since getting the Gti ive always thought the fans were running hard for no reason. They start shortly after starting the car even when engine is cold. Always thought this is to do with the AC?? Temp sits at 90 or just a smudge under usually. After reading a few posts on here i checked to see both were running but only the big one seems to go?? Confused.. Is this normal? Im guessing no!

Thanks

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
Re: Fans?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 08:05:33 pm »
Think this is just for the AC. If you turn it off the fan should stop

Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:46:01 pm »
I have briefly tried it with the AC off and still the same, will try a longer test.

Has anybody noticed if both fans run or just one?

Still under warranty so would like to take it to vw and say, Oi that fans no workin!! Also if its not, can't be doing the fan/cooling system any good!

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:02:18 pm »
have a read about.. the small fan is prone to failing.... mines gone and can sound like a hover craft siting at lights wit the window down in this weather....

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:21:24 pm »
Mines sane the resistors burn out. Well expensive from dealers.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27485.0.html

Sie
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr

Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »
Thanks for the info, looks like it'l need a new fan. Glad ive got Vw warranty!

wycombe_gti

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:55:51 am »
Mine's in for this to be fixed next week, will update you all then on how it goes.

Offline jamma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:26:57 pm »
When the small fan goes the large fan kicks in straight away. I had my small fan replaced 2 weeks back and now its sorted. No more hover craft sounds  :happy2:

wycombe_gti

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »
Woo Hoo!
I can now use the A/C without the car sounding like a hovercraft.

Small fan has been replaced by MDM Technik in Berks and is now operational. Previously with the AC on you could see it wasn't moving if you popped the bonnet open. When it stops working, the larger radiator fan kicks in at a higher RPM, hence the noise.

Cost:
£127 +Vat for the fan, £55 +Vat for fitting.

There are 2 potential fans which could be used, one by Siemens, one by Temic. Neither fan is labelled as far as I could see even when removed. In the end MDM ordered both and matched it up by sight (one has more fan blades apparently). Part numbers are:

1K0 959 455 ET - Siemens
1K0 959 455 CR - Temic

Mines an 07 plate and I had the latter part by Temic.

Would recommend Mark at MDM if you need any work done. They're a REVO dealer as well, so I'll be back in the future,  :happy2:

Cheers,

Chris

Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:33:55 pm »
Thanks, sounds exactly what mine needs, just need to get time to pop into the dealers. Glad your sorted!

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »
Funny this post has just appeared, came back from a 3WK holiday today to start my car this morning at 6am and left it to idle whilst having the heating on full blast. I went back a few mins later and the fan was on!? Never took any notice if its the big/small one but is this normal? The engine was stone cold as it's not been ran in over 3 weeks!

When it was last in VW for a recall they had done a health check and everything came back ok apart from, according to them a tiny leak in the radiator! I took it to another independent garage and they said it's so tiny they were hard pushed to find it. They recommended some RAD sealant so I bought some and still to use it. The bottle says pour directly into radiator but from what I see there's no filler where I can pour it directly into the rad, so I guess I'd use the expansion tank instead?
 :smiley:

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 09:24:48 am »
Just checked last night and it seems the large fan is the only one running. So I guess I need a new small fan unit, I'm in no rush to get this ATM as the car runs perfectly normal and temp doesn't rise above 90degress but if I leave it too long can this cause any damage to the larger fan from being overworked or and issues with cooling to the engine?

wycombe_gti

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 12:20:52 pm »
Just checked last night and it seems the large fan is the only one running. So I guess I need a new small fan unit, I'm in no rush to get this ATM as the car runs perfectly normal and temp doesn't rise above 90degress but if I leave it too long can this cause any damage to the larger fan from being overworked or and issues with cooling to the engine?

Didn't have any issues with mine, it was broken for several thousand miles. Only got it fixed as I was sick of people staring at the car when in quiter areas like car parks, :-) The big fan was able to handle the load even during the hotter days we've had this year with the AC on full.