Make a donation

Author Topic: How does your MK 5 handle compared to previous cars?  (Read 6541 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
How does your MK 5 handle compared to previous cars?
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:22:31 pm »
My Eddie is my third car -  had a 1.6 205 Gti and a 8v Gti (Mk 3).

The Mk5 is far superior in handling to the MK3 but still lacking compared to the go kart that was the little Pug.

Still, I am at present running stock suspension and my Bilstein B12 arrives on Wed to complement the Eibach arb's, TT wishbones and WALK already fitted.

Can the MK 5 be made to handle as well as a 205 Gti, Williams Clio or Integra Type R or will it never quite reach that high due to the extra weight etc?

What have you owned that was superior in this dept?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

TimS996

Re: How does your MK 5 handle compared to previous cars?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:42:54 pm »
Much prefer this to my previous, a Porshche 911 996 Carrera 4, which while stunningly fast thru the corners, never felt as predictable or as directionally stable. Also didn't think it drove as well on the throttle.

The GTi seems to have great predictability thru corners, as did my old MK3. Its fast enough in all environments except on the track that it won't make any distance.

For what its worth, I expect to beat my 'Ring laptimes in the Golf simply because it feels better to drive. Built better that the POrsche too, with AC that works, superb seats and a stereo you can hear, all in a car for a 5th of the price.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:48:34 pm »
I'm by no means one to give a proper account here, but I came from a 2003 Clio 1.6 Dynamique which I thought was sharp and responsive on standard suspension and decent tyres. I spun that 360degrees twice on two public roundabouts in the wet with budget tyres  :grin: It was genuinely good to learn my limits (not particularly fast on either occasions, sub 35mph - but still too quick for the situation) without hitting anyone or anything.

My GTI (on AP springs with 20mm drop & ContiSport3's all round) has always been reliable enough. I've never pushed it at all and it starts to feel heavy as it pushes towards understeer, but never feels out of control or poor in my experience having not pushed it.

I also think the combination of ride quality and cornering ability is fairly good for a standard hot hatch overall. Some might say compared to an R26 or a CTR it perhaps isn't though?

If I tracked it I'm sure I'd have a different opinion as I know lots on here spend a lot on aftermarket suspension parts :wink:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

h4rdy

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:55:40 pm »
Its only now as good as my Subaru Impreza WRX PPP.

But thats after Polybushing, WALK, THS/VWR Mounts and Eibach Springs.

The thing with the Subaru? No traction control, it just went, no drama.

My friend has a STI PPP and he says that his torque steers more than mine so I must have done something right.

I have not driven one but I am led to believe that a Clio 197/200 would run rings round us on a track?

Discuss :popcornsoda:

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:47 pm »
Still don't feel confident in the Gti.

Rolls like a barge round the bends despite Eibach springs.

What will stop this? Rear arb?  :ashamed:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:07:27 pm »
I do have the GT TDI, so not going to be GTI standards.....but hey it's a great drive if you keep the revs right.

I do think it lacks some 'POW' but hoping to get this from a chip/re-mapping later this year.

Handling < so so.....I have standard shocks and springs all round which are really not good enough. Go into a corner tight, or catch a bump at speed and the front end will hit the ground EVERY time. Even low speed on speed bump I have to be carefull.....it just has too much spring in it.

Great/smooth etc. for long distance < missing the stiffness for having fun. Too much roll, understeer etc.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:09:55 pm by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:09:13 pm »

Nick.Are you insured to drive any car?..If so pop round and test mine.I have the WALK kit fitted,might make a difference.

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:28:20 pm »
I've had two previous GTi's - Mk1 and Mk3. It's funny but the Mk5 has a much better, firmer ride with more grip than the other two and is faster but doesn't feel as agile or as quick if that makes sense. The Mk1 was like a little go cart and you felt you could throw that thing around and also it felt much more responsive in the lower rev range and quicker off the mark. It clearly wasn't but felt like it was. The Mk3 was somewhere in between and felt heavier than the Mk1 (which it was) but still felt relatively light. The Mk5 does feel a lot heavier and almost like a saloon in comparison to the other two. But it can obviously blow both the Mk1 and Mk3 away on 0-60 but just doesn't feel like it. I've only had mine a week so am still getting used to the difference in feel. I love it, it's in a completely different league to the previous GTi's I owned, far more sophisticated and beefier. I'll be getting a stage 1 remap soon so that should make it feel more like the Mk1 experience especially in the lower rev range.

Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 07:33:47 pm »
Not as good as my old 106gti. That thing with a stock setup was evil on the corners. It was however, very french and im glad i sold it before it broke!!

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 07:54:59 pm »
Think my car handles far better than the type R civic :smiley:
My friend will vouch for the handling, I think pepole need to look at the speedo when on the twists! I feel the car is very effortless in all ways, you don't realise the speeds your doing were as you will in your pocket rocket due to
Noise etc....I thought my old G40 was slightly faster than the ed30 but that's because it was lower,louder, heard more wind noise etc....but when you look at the speedo your realise that these cars really do handle!  :congrats:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:58:16 pm »
@Jackg Agree with you. It's only when you look at the speedo you realise that you are going faster than it feels. It's very quiet and smooth. Still feels heavy though around corners.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:02:33 pm »
I came from a 2009 championship White edition Civic type r (with LSD as standard). That was A LOT sharper than the golf and could carry a lot more speed off a roundabout  :congrats:

Now I have the H&R springs on the golf - the gap is closer. WALK & ARB's for me next. . .
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »

Aye? Cant understand that my Ed30 is pretty planted not much roll at all. I do live in Peak District though and its pretty bumpy....

On with topic, had previously (still have) Corrado VR6 which had much better steering feel and although Gti is pretty new to me would probably say adjustability on throttle mid bend also. Although the Gti is so much faster in every situation that I dont really play with it as much on road. If I could change one thing about the Gti it would be to reduce the amount of steering lock, would improve it no end IMO

Oh yeah brakes are not amazing either, but then again Corrado's are truly terrifying  :grin:

Matt

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:29:16 pm by Leonard »

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 08:34:47 pm »
Very, very different to my previous car, a 2004 BMW 325ci with the M Sport pack. The BMW was sublime in long fast corners, whereas the Golf can feel a little unsettled, and not as planted. However (with the right tyres) the Golf changes direction far better, though is can sometimes struggle to hide it's weight. The BMW was an awesome car to trail brake, something I really miss being able to do with the Golf.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 09:13:07 pm »

Full set of ARBs worked for me, TBH its not too bad standard

You can get the GTI to handle very well IMO i still dont think you will get it to the level of a DC2 integra, and its not going to feel like a 205 GTI either, but i was really impressed with GTI and ive had E30,E36 and E46 M3s, Good list of mods there thats pretty much what i had along with the AP brakes you would give a lot of things a alot of things shock  !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN