Make a donation

Author Topic: Monza 2's white worm inevitable?  (Read 5660 times)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Monza 2's white worm inevitable?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 03:37:52 pm »
Thanks folks. Changing wheels for winter is maybe a bit more hassle that I can cope with. I may buy a set of 17's and sell the Monza 2's though. I sound so practical it makes me sick   :smiley:

I have two sets of 18's; one new set with summer tyres, one old set with winter tyres. Twice a year I go to my local tyre place, with a set of wheels & tyres in the boot. In the time it takes me to walk over the road, buy the lads some tins of beer and bring them back, one set has come off & been replaced with the other, and I'm good to go with tyres appropriate to the season.

Can't see how half an hour twice a year is more hassle than could be coped with. But the cost of 8 tins of beer is getting a bit much  :signLOL:

You're still only wearing out four tyres at a time, and in the winter, the advantage of winter tyres is massive. Once you try them you'll be sold.

17's just don't fill the arches well enough in my opinion. Don't chop your 18's in, you'll regret it!! Powder coat them, or live with it, the integrity of the wheels is unaffected by White worm. Nag the dealer, they may even change them under warranty.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:41:09 pm by LouCyffer »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 04:06:58 pm »
Ta. Great advice. Not sure tins of beer would go down well with my local garage though lol. Will speak to VW about the warranty etc.  :happy2:

Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »
Where are you based?  could swap you my powder coated 18" monza 2 for your diamond cut?

Offline NEWEY

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 08:24:40 pm »
ill be taking my monza II off the car this winter as last winter has trashed one of them. the salt has got into one of the wheels and white worm has started to set in! as nice as they look. there by no means an all year round wheel

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:56 pm »
Based in Belfast. Going to have to find a car with 17's I think. My heart wants the 18's but alas my head wins.

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 12:21:42 am »
Hi Chowgar
  They look spot on have you got a side on picture of them on the car?

Andy

not the best picture...