Make a donation

Author Topic: Monza 2's white worm inevitable?  (Read 5656 times)

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
Monza 2's white worm inevitable?
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:50:31 pm »
Sorry. I know this has been discuussed alot!

I have seen a 2007 GTI and just wanting to know more about the Monza 2's that are on it. Is it inevitable that White worm will occur? It's just that I am stretching my budget and would like to spend as little extra money on the car over the next year or two.

If the wheels do have signs of white worm will VW replace them before sale?

If they had to be refurbed how much would this cost?

Thanks,
C
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:04:11 pm by crashdesk »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Monza 2's white worm inevitable?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:35 pm »
As long as there is no breaks in the lacquer at all, then you can make them last take extra care when fiddling with wheel bolts ( use a plastic sleeve ) wash and wax them like its your Pe*is, and prey you dont get any stone chips, keep it off the roads in the winter and dont let your wife even look at the car never mind drive it.  :happy2:

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:14:17 pm »
I don't know how anyone can consider paying for them. They don look great but that sounds likeva lot of hassle. May have to ask to downgrade to normal monza's  :smiley:

Want the car to look the part but would have zero time for little details like the wheels.

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:00:03 am »
Hi, as TC says they need tlc and can be refurbished to as new but it will cost around £300 a set

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:23:56 am »
Thanks scooba.

If they do get refurbed does that stop the whiteworm or will this have to be done quite a few times?

PS Does white worm happen to the 17" Monza 1's? Never seen it myself and I've looked at quite a few.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:29:58 am by crashdesk »

Offline keano

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:16:40 am »
I don't think the 17s are diamond cut, one of the reasons people use them for winter wheels

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:47:30 am »
17's aren't diamond cut, so are not White worm prone.

18's are diamond cut then laquered over the bare metal finish. This means they are prone to corrosion if there is any break in the laquer.
If you really want 18's and don't want reoccurring worm, get them powder coated instead of refurbished.

Read Red Robin's excellent guide: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,726.0.html
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 01:28:11 pm »

Have em powder coated....

shouldnt have any issues then :happy2:

Offline Spin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 01:31:29 pm »
On my previous set I ensured I washed the wheels at least once a week in the winter even if I didn't do the rest of the car,  i also wax them with collinite but as all have said once damaged its inevitable for the worm to make an appearance.

www.perfectiongroup.net charge £50 per wheel and do an excellent job,  had some kerb rash seen to on mine :happy2:
Carbon Grey 3 Dr Mk6 GTi 2.0T,  Milltek TB Race non resonated, ITG Intake, Revo Stage 2 & AP Racing BBK - Sold.
BMW M135i- Pretty Good,  but a bit ugly.

"Fast Cars Are Safer"

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 01:33:08 pm »
Powder coating seems to be the best option. How much would this cost and are there any issues with powder coating, how long does it last etc. Pics and wheels look great by the way.

Do you think VW would downgrade my wheels to the 17's?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:35:14 pm by crashdesk »

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:51:53 pm »
to be honest the powder coating is more exspensive... mine worked out about £100 per corner however I did have them twin tone with gloss black inners and chrome faces (they actually made a mistake with the chrome face but I'm learning to live with it).

As for longevity.... pretty robust to be honest, its the curbing that will damage them more than anything.... done quite a few motoray miles since having them and there is no signs of any stone chips...

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 01:55:00 pm »
You should, in my opinion, keep the 18's. You can pick up a set of 17's cheaper than the cost of a refurb on 4 18's. That way you have 2 sets of wheels, so you can have one set for winter, with winter tyres :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:13 pm »
Thanks folks. Changing wheels for winter is maybe a bit more hassle that I can cope with. I may buy a set of 17's and sell the Monza 2's though. I sound so practical it makes me sick   :smiley:

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 02:03:36 pm »
Hi Chowgar
  They look spot on have you got a side on picture of them on the car?

Andy

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 02:18:22 pm »
Do you think that the VW dealer would put a set of 17's on and if so what way would they work that with regards to cost and them having a set of second hand 18's?