Make a donation

Author Topic: iTunes on a NAS  (Read 2630 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: iTunes on a NAS
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 04:22:54 pm »
Library is updated and I have the content in the main Music tab of iTunes but when I open the Diskstation tab under shared it instantly closes.

I also tried setting up Home Sharing, that seems to setup but then the tab disappears from the finder and it doesn't appear to work.

Getting tedious now.  :fighting:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Ifti

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 05:42:39 pm »
Hmmm. To be honest all I use the iTunes server for is movies, not music. When I click DiskStation under Shared in iTunes, it just lists the movies I have on the server (the mp4 ones).
I'll try putting some music in later and will see what happens.......

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 05:44:55 pm »
Still not getting anywhere with this.  Been googling all afternoon for info and it seems lots of people have issues with the sharing but not one defined correct result.  I've tried all the suggestions (Reboot everything, check all settings, rebuild iTunes library, enable IGMP in the router and more)

I can't seem to get anything on AirPlay or any sort of a sharing between any devices.

Any more ideas??

Ifti did you have to open any ports in your router??
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 06:11:45 pm »
I use a HP Data Vault X510 for streaming and Itunes, no issues at all.

Google HP Data Vault X510

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 06:42:58 pm »

Google HP Data Vault X510

Nice but I fail to see how that's going to help me with my OSX Lion and Synology NAS  :fighting2:
Stu...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 07:05:00 pm »
Update -

Tried my Mac Mini which is still running SL and an older version of iTunes.  Home Sharing still doesn't appear to work however the diskstation appears correctly in iTunes Finder.

So the diskstation issue is linked to the MBP and possibly iTunes Beta 10.5 and the Home Sharing, well who knows!!
Stu...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 08:02:51 pm »
Home sharing is now working between the two Mac's but I can't solve the Diskstation issue on the MBP and I can't see anything with AirPlay on either my iPhone 4 or iPad 1.
Stu...

Ifti

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 09:46:19 pm »
You're using the app named 'air player' right??

That just see's any DLNA servers on the network - not iTunes servers. So make sure DLNA on the Synology is enabled...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 10:20:11 pm »
I think I had the wrong App Ifti.  Just bought AirPlayer and it works fine.

The only anomoly left is the NAS not being useable as a share in iTunes.
Stu...