Make a donation

Author Topic: Aircon service really needed!??  (Read 1946 times)

WILLZIE

Aircon service really needed!??
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:24:37 am »
Been told by my dealer I need an Aircon service! but to me its still nice and cold!..??? little bit confused.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Aircon service really needed!??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:12:30 am »
A good money spinner in difficult times.  Challenge them on what they think needs doing (What prompted the suggestion) and also what they intend to do for the cost quoted.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

WILLZIE

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:33:53 pm »
Thats a good point!  :happy2: I can understand servicing cars but aircon service, not sure,  :confused: especially as its working fine at the moment.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:39:31 pm »
One of the things they do is to spray a product into the car which sanitises the aircon but you can buy this and do it yourself if you like.

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/Wurth_Quick-Fresh.html

http://www.gbdriver.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=459&zenid=6cea3ec4204a4619d2be80d1b3e6cf67
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

WILLZIE

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »
Ive done this in the past, yet I bet this is what the dealer would do for the £115 they want. As well as the £537 cam belt replacement without the waterpump!
Robbing dealers.

Thanks for the info!  :drinking:

Offline DaveR77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 3
    • UK-MKIVS.net
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:07 pm »
Ive done this in the past, yet I bet this is what the dealer would do for the £115 they want. As well as the £537 cam belt replacement without the waterpump!
Robbing dealers.

Is that a VW dealer? Both of those are fixed price items and should be 79 and 319, you are indeed being robbed
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »
£537 is way too much.

Not sure where you are located but Stafford Audi do it for £379 Inc.

http://www.audicambelt.co.uk/files/cambelt_a3.php

That also exceeds the VW quoted fixed pricing - http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing
Stu...

WILLZIE

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:20:25 pm »
Well thats my ammo!! cheers guys, the most it should be with the waterpump is £399!! Ill keep posted on it!  :happy2:

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
Yeah the £399 was what i got quoted from my local dealer. Thought it was quite reasonable for a dealer. Still getting a independant garage to do it for £175 mind lol.

Offline daveangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »
they hit me with this.  struck me as a load of rubbish so i checked with an refrigeration engineer .   :P

they claim it refreshes the refrigerant but you don't have your fridge serviced every year.  the refigerant is closed loop, so if its low or escaped you have a leak,  it also has no shelf life.

they also claim to squirt a lubricant in the system.  the enigneer i asked said refrigerent is naturally lubricatating and the compressor bearing has sealed grease.

so providing the system is in good shape, as far as i can gather its a complete waste of time.  i think it probably a good idea to run the system once a month to prevent the compressor siezing, but otherwise if its working leave it alone.  :booty:

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 02:29:09 pm »
It's highly likely that my answer is because I'm a tight Scottish b*stard, but unless my A/c actually breaks it's not getting any $$$ spent on it.  :rolleye:

I'm sure i've read Teutonic_Tamer saying that somewhere saying that ^^.

Goes to find the appropriate thread...
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |