Make a donation

Author Topic: Still have a smelly aircon  (Read 746 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Still have a smelly aircon
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:58:44 am »
Since the spring, I've had two blasts of Aircon cleaner, replaced the pollen filter under the glovebox and stuck in a California Scent airfreshener.

The cleaners were temporary - lasting maybe a week or so before the smell returned. The pollen filter was already cleanish but replaced it anyway.

What else can I do? It almost smells "mouldy" or "stale" and warm. If I run the A/C on, the smell disappears after a while but will return after a few minutes if I turn off the A/C.

Any ideas?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Still have a smelly aircon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:40:03 am »
Sounds like you have a particularly persistent bacterial build up. First port of call is to get the car up to temp, then run the aircon as hot as possible for 10-15 minutes, longer if you can. The idea is to purge all the ducts. If this doesn't work, and neither have aircon 'bombs', I think you'll be looking at a professional service & purge.

As always, the system is prone to this if not run on a weekly basis at least, but it can happen even on more regularly run systems.

Fingers crossed you purge the pong, Stealth.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Still have a smelly aircon
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:08:12 am »
Horse a tin of detol aerosol through the recic ducts (set to recirculate obviouly).
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant