Make a donation

Author Topic: NAS with incremental backup  (Read 3561 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
NAS with incremental backup
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:39:55 am »
Anyone know of an all in one solution of a NAS that has 2 drives for raid and also a backup solution that backs up just modified files?

cheers

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
Re: NAS with incremental backup
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:48:16 am »
HP Data Vault X510

Google for spec :-)

Ifti

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:45 am »
Most NAS units have the capability to do this. Which NAS you need depends on your use and budget...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:16:13 am »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:30:56 am »
I have been using a few Netgear units but for the smaller business I like the look of these, especially with the ability to use the S3 online service for backups.

Which model do you guys have?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:41 am »
Mine isn't anything special just a basic 2 bay unit - DS209j with 2 x WD EARS 2TB drives fitted in RAID.  I had a DS207 before that with 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Ifti

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:28:19 am »
As VRStu mentioned, Synology is a very good NAS. QNAP also make good boxes. The beauty with these is that even though they may cost slightly more, they can do a lot. You can use them as iTunes servers, web hosts, DLNA servers, even set up a surveillance system by adding IP CCTV cameras! You can access them both locally and remotely etc.

These units come with both USb and eSATA ports in the back. If you fall short of space you can add additional external drives to the unit for more storage space. Or you can add external HDDs ( or even another NAS) to the unit for backups.

Backups on these can be incremental if you wish. You can either have the Backup drive keep an exact copy of what's on your NAS at all times, or you can set it so that even if you delete something from the NAS it will not be deleted from the Backup drive at all. Either way, you can schedule the backups to occur as often as you wish, so they just happen in the background without you having to do anything at all. When you append to a backup, which is what I do, it simply backups up only the changes that have been made, so it's almost like synchronising with the master copy on your NAS.

Failing that, you could always go for a full on network server instead. I have some for sale over on the selling section  :wink:

Ifti

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:39 am »
Mine isn't anything special just a basic 2 bay unit - DS209j with 2 x WD EARS 2TB drives fitted in RAID.  I had a DS207 before that with 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint.

WD EARS drives =  :sick: for RAID!

Make sure you keep good backups. Even WD don't recommend their desktop drives for RAID, which is why I kept away from them. Hopefully you will be Ok though.

I have a DS1511+ with 5 Sammy SpinPoint F4 2TB drives in. Never used Sammy drives before, I've always used WD in the past for desktops and external drives as well to be honest. So far they are performing pretty well though.

If you do a search for 'iftibashir' in YouTube you'll get to my channel with a couple of videos of the NAS etc. I'll create some tuts at some point when I buy an ip camera to set up. Would be good to have a CCTV Camera watching over your car  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:35:56 am by Ifti »

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:36:14 pm »
Mine isn't anything special just a basic 2 bay unit - DS209j with 2 x WD EARS 2TB drives fitted in RAID.  I had a DS207 before that with 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint.

WD EARS drives =  :sick: for RAID!

I went down that road at the time of buying them and to be honest I think if you look deep enough unless you are buying enterprise quality drives none are truly recommended for RAID.  I had one of the Sammy's replaced under warranty after a failure so I think you pay your money and take your chance.

I recently bought an IP camera and linked it up to the NAS and it works pretty well.   :happy2:
Stu...

Ifti

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:57:34 pm »
Yeh, you have a point there - they're all desktop drives at the end of the day! Lol

Without derailing the thread too much, which IP camera did you go for and how was the setup??

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:04:28 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-FOSCAM-wireless-ip-camera-PAN-TILT-270-120-/280676562350?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4159a075ae#ht_9169wt_1014

Probably the cheapest you'll find one of those.

You can also get wide angle lenses for a couple of £ too.
Stu...

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:14:23 pm »
i use a QNAP and it uses NetBak Replicator for backup.

It was for someone else, didnt want to offer them a narrow minded suggestion on what NAS to get as i have always used Qnap's.

Ifti

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:55:48 pm »
i use a QNAP and it uses NetBak Replicator for backup.

It was for someone else, didnt want to offer them a narrow minded suggestion on what NAS to get as i have always used Qnap's.

In response to your original question, both QNAP and Synology are able to perform incremental backups  :happy2:

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:15:18 am »
Seeing there are more than enough NAS recommended I won't get to them.

I would highly recommend StorageCraft shadow Protect Desktop for PC's and Server Edition for SBS or Server version.

Super quick backups, Can do continious incrementals and use Image Manager for the image repository control.
Super easy restore. Gives you bare metal restore to any other hardware. Plus you can quickly mount a backup file for data restore in under 15 seconds. Have a read up on it.