Make a donation

Author Topic: ESP - On or Off?....  (Read 13767 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: ESP - On or Off?....
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »
@ you experienced 1/4 mile drivers, would the preference be to have ESP on or off for the strip?

I was thinking particularly the Pod which has a greasy surface compared to somewhere like Bruntingthorpe PG which is usually dry - would it differ depending on 1/4 mile surface?

Ta  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline RacerMH

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • MH Racing
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 07:27:39 pm »
Worth trying with and without, but the system will aim for a target wheel slip and hold it so it doesn't matter what surface you're on, it should achieve that slip %age and hold it until it sees the wheels regaining grip.
2008 Black Magic Pearl 3dr Golf GTI

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2011, 10:08:03 pm »

Overall....I'm pretty sure you'd be faster on track without it on, and I think I'd have allowed a bit more lateral acceleration, but overall it seems pretty reasonable.

This is not the case, at least for me. I did a 20 minute session at the Nurburgring GP circuit in May and i did about ten laps with the ESP on. Got very confident so passenger suggested switching it off. The car was so much faster with it off, much easier to control and nearly all trace of wheel spin disappeared. My passenger had been timing all the laps from about 3 or 4 and once the ESP was off all my laps thereafter were 3 or 4 seconds faster.  :happy2:
I cant see any point switching it off on public roads as you really shouldn't be travelling at speeds were you can take advantage of the system being off, especially on a tuned car with uprated suspension but on track the ESP system on a GTI is just a hinderance. I think on proper sports cars the systems are far more advanced and can help out. I remember on Top Gear a couple of top end super cars were un- drivable with ESP off.  :happy2:

Offline RacerMH

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • MH Racing
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »
Sorry....my wording was a bit unclear there. I said I think the car's faster without it on :wink: So totally agree with you. It tends to hold you below limit which is not the fastest way round a track and it also tends falsely intervene every now and again.

Every manufacturer has different standards and expectations from ESP tuning, and the way the systems intervene is very much down to company policy/personal choice. Ultimately someone has tuned the ESP in the car to their personal interpretation of the company policy. It's a Conti ESP system and their pretty good at tuning the systems, and I think the way it comes in is very good, it's just a bit early, so I suspect VW wanted it to be seen as a 'Safety System' in the true definition of the term. It does actually actuate without the light coming on which you may not notice. Next time you're out, find a long smooth, wide sweeping corner and build the speed up gradually. Fairly early on, you can hear the ABS pump running. It sounds like a rough 'cchhhrrr' and will last for about half a second.

You're right, that if you're heavily leaning on the system on the road, the speeds are a bit much, but I tend to find it's little nudges early on a bit intrusive on a B road!

As for the supercar systems....their actually identical! It's all in the tuning  :wink: The main differences you get in more expensive modulators are more pumps which improve refinement and reduce the pedal feedback. The Conti ESP though can and does brake individual wheels and it's definitely able to request a torque cut from the engine when it's managing traction. The amount of time/effort that goes in to tuning a system is fairly incredibly considering most drivers will only ever use the function for probably a maximum of a few seconds in the cars life!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:33:27 pm by RacerMH »
2008 Black Magic Pearl 3dr Golf GTI

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:34 pm »
 :happy2: