Make a donation

Author Topic: black rear badge  (Read 2342 times)

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
black rear badge
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:41:42 pm »
i have searched for this but yet to find a definitive answer.  i want to change my rear vw emblem/badge to black.  my car is a 2008...will it be flat or curved underneath?  is it just the chrome vw emblem that comes off or the whole mechanism need changing?  any links to which one to buy would be good...thanks.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: black rear badge
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:43:25 pm »
The emblem comes off with gentle prying...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:52:57 pm »
will it be curved or flat bottomed?  is it stuck on or held on with little nubs like the front?

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:15:31 pm »
Hi,

been looking through some old threads on this -

so you cant get a matt black rear badge so you have to wrap it or spray it? Also as getting a RVC from Steve P wondering whether it can be done on those without damaging camera etc...
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 01:15:04 pm »
The badge on yours should have a separate chrome emblem. This is just pressed on with no glue used, so just need to gently pull it off without breaking the little plastic pegs on the back of it. Once off  its your choice to either spay it or wrap it.

I have just wrapped mine with carbon effect wrap which can be a bit fiddly but not bad for my fist attempt, I'm happy with it anyway .  :happy2:

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:01:53 pm »
The badge on yours should have a separate chrome emblem. This is just pressed on with no glue used, so just need to gently pull it off without breaking the little plastic pegs on the back of it. Once off  its your choice to either spay it or wrap it.

I have just wrapped mine with carbon effect wrap which can be a bit fiddly but not bad for my fist attempt, I'm happy with it anyway .  :happy2:

Thanks and is the wrapping easily reversible or would have to buy whole new badge if dont like the balck look and want to go back to silver?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:01:05 pm »
Most vinyl wrap will peel off without damaging the paint as they use a dry glue.

I would recommend to spend that little bit more and get a better quality vinyl. I got mine off eBay and it has grooves in the glue to make it easier to get the air bubbles out.

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 03:05:20 pm »

I notice yours is a 2005 model so did you have the dreaded white worm Badge? If so have you replaced it with a newer boot handle?

I ask because I also have a 2005 and I removed the white wormed badge and sprayed the handle red. I then purchased a vw chrome badge and have attached it to the boot hanlde. Unfortunately the badge does not sit flush as the badge is curved and so is the boot handle. Just wanted to know how you did yours?

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 03:45:33 pm »
Yes I have replaced it for the newer model handle because of the dreaded white worm. It actually came from a vw eos as i could not find a golf one for sensible money from the breakers but only paid £15 for it off eBay! :wink:

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »
Yes I have replaced it for the newer model handle because of the dreaded white worm. It actually came from a vw eos as i could not find a golf one for sensible money from the breakers but only paid £15 for it off eBay! :wink:

Thinks I will Have to go that way as well as not happy with the way badge is sitting!

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 04:13:23 pm »
It is the way to go fella.

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:10 pm »
i have an a4 dynoc 3m carbon wrap...i havent ever wrapped anything before and kinda nervous about doing the emblem.  the background on mine is reflex silver like the rest of the car but doing just the emblem in wrap looks really tricky...got any tips?  did you wrap the rear of the badge also to get neat edges?  i have only put lamin-x on my fogs, most of which are hidden so the quality of my work wasnt on show!

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 10:47:56 am »
My advise would be to watch a couple of vids on YouTube and don't break the other halfs hair dryer like I did!  :scared:
I laid the vinyl over the badge, then gently heat. This makes it pliable so you can then stretch over the curves of the badge.
I folded the vinyl over to the back of the badge then trimmed off the excess to tidy it up.

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 06:51:06 pm »
having looked at the badge i notice that the background to the vw emblem is the part of the handle that comes off too...i was going to leave that silver...dont know if that makes sense?  maybe wondering if i should mask the bits off between the "VW" emblem and spray it.