Make a donation

Author Topic: In car security  (Read 1357 times)

Offline wisebuddah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
In car security
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:29:10 am »
So I picked up my mk5 GTI yesterday, I LOVE it  :love:..however, I'm now worried about it getting nicked! Can anyone advise on security? It'll be garaged overnight but I was thinking about maybe getting a steering lock of some description for use during the days. Are the steering locks actually any good? If so which one?

Help! :smiley:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: In car security
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:12 am »
If they want it. they'll take it. The less hazzle the better for you. Several here has had break in in their houses for the car keys. So best bet for my money would be a canbus alarm that won't let them start the car, when they find out, you have called the cops and gotten yourself in safety  :chicken:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline wisebuddah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:50:58 am »
Gotcha, that's why we have insurance I guess. Have you heard of the Ravelco system?

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:16 am »
I personally dont think steering locks are worthwhile nowadays. Its impossible to nick the GTI without the keys anyway so just keep them safe!!  :happy2:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 01:21:48 pm »
yep agree with the above - modern day cars with their alarms and immobilisers have rendered steering locks obsolescent. If they can nick it they'd be able to nick with the steering lock too

Offline wisebuddah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:36:33 pm »
OK, thanks for your help. Good to hear that they are a difficult car to nick :smiley:

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:04:33 pm »
they either need the keys or a low loader.

however you also have to consider detering casual theft, and gettting them to move onto the next victim.
often small things will make them move on.

a damn great wheel lock (the full cover ones) may just put them off as its going to slow them down
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:03:23 pm »

Congratulations on buying your new GTI...they're a beast aren't they? Unfortunately, this means that they are desirable cars to be nicked by the wrong sort of people.

I've been unlucky enough to be broken into once and had two further attempted breaks ins for my car keys. On all three occasions they've left without the keys as they're upstairs with me, so my main advice is to keep your keys with you at all times, and keep the spare locked up somewhere safe.

The second best thing you can do is make your house inaccessible to burglars so that they move on to an easier target. I couldn't believe how easily the scum broke through my door lock. I don't want to scare you but watch this video

These locks are fitted to 98% of doors in this country and are basically not fit for purpose.  Please consider changing the locks on your house doors - if you contact a locksmith ask for 'anti snap, anti pick & anti bump' locks. They're relatively inexpensive and will not only protect thieves from getting in and nicking the keys to your car but also other possessions so they're worth the cost.

As I said earlier I don't want to scare you mate, but these locks are the reason why the second two break ins were attempted ones rather than actual burglarys.

Offline wisebuddah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:29:45 am »
Hey Carla, thanks for your advice. I'm onto the locksmiths today!