Make a donation

Author Topic: Detailing virgin selection of products  (Read 7071 times)

Offline yellowbelly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Detailing virgin selection of products
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 08:11:31 pm »
One of the Pro's or Stealth will likely know more than me but if I'm applying it by hand then I usually wash with APC, wipe down with IPA and then apply the glaze in vertical strokes followed by horizontal and then diagonal. That way the fillers get right into the swirls etc and keep working it until its nearly vanished or has begun to haze over. Then lightly remove with a good microfibre cloth and buff it up. Seal the goodness in with a couple of coats of wax/sealant.

A good glaze should help with that deep, glossy finish but only if the paint is prepared right but for that real depth I think you need a machine.

Have you clayed the car?

Did you mean to put this??? APC as in All Purpose cleaner? it wouldnt be the best thing to use, a good Ph Balanced Shampoo is what you would be best off using. Unless you meant you use some of this when snow foaming?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:13:12 pm by yellowbelly »

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:47 pm »
One of the Pro's or Stealth will likely know more than me but if I'm applying it by hand then I usually wash with APC, wipe down with IPA and then apply the glaze in vertical strokes followed by horizontal and then diagonal. That way the fillers get right into the swirls etc and keep working it until its nearly vanished or has begun to haze over. Then lightly remove with a good microfibre cloth and buff it up. Seal the goodness in with a couple of coats of wax/sealant.

A good glaze should help with that deep, glossy finish but only if the paint is prepared right but for that real depth I think you need a machine.

Have you clayed the car?

Did you mean to put this??? APC as in All Purpose cleaner? it wouldnt be the best thing to use, a good Ph Balanced Shampoo is what you would be best off using. Unless you meant you use some of this when snow foaming?

I don't have the ability to snow foam mate but yes I meant to put it. I only use a salt free all purpose cleaner (Stardrops), diluted of course, as it removes the vast majority of the old wax etc and helps get the paintwork ready for the glaze to be applied. Most shampoos that I have come across don't remove the old wax or not all of it anyway. It works for me  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »
I use something like Lime Prime which helps remove old wax as well as prep the paintwork for fresh wax.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:35 pm »
@Boothy Never even thought of asking what people use on certain colours of cars. From what I've read certain products do indeed help bring out the best in certain paints/colours. Since mine is Tornado Red it's good to know that those products work well.

Do you think you could get away with not using a clay bar as the SRP should do a good enough job?

Also, I have black side skirts and rear bumper. What's the best way to avoid getting wax on these parts as from what I have read, it tends to make it go white. Also, even if I do avoid getting wax on these areas during the final stages, will the wax, over time, through heavy rain etc get onto the trim and ruin it? Over thinking this a bit but want to keep car in best nick.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:18:11 pm by crashdesk »

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »
Just get as close as you can mate or buy a roll of masking tape and tape up the edge of the bumpers etc. If you do get some on there it will go white but it can be removed with some rubbing alcohol and a stiff toothbrush.

Once the wax is on, its on and will fade with time but wont run or anything. It will only go where you put it bud.

The Srp will not remove the bonded contaminants which is what clay is designed to do. Its well worth the extra effort to clay and it makes a big difference to the finish as far as I'm concerned. It will take the overall finish to the next level.

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 10:35:06 pm »
Perfect. Thanks Boothy!

Just thought of one other thing. Does anyone use special window screen stuff to make the rain bead off?

Here's what I have to buy at this point. Please keep me right.

Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner

1. Need recommandation for good cheap, ph neutral shampoo
2. Autoglym - Instant Tyre Dressing (He said that this is great for the exterior plastics too)
3. Need recommendation for clay bar
3. Autoglym - Super Resin Polish
4. Autoglym - Bumper Care for plastics
5. FinishKare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant (No Wax, just sealant)

Thanks for all the tips!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:29:31 am by crashdesk »

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »
Basically whilst i don't want to spend an absolute fortune on detailing my car i don't look at cheap i look at what comes recommended. So i've read a load of threads where people will honestly chat about the success they've had with a product and also had recommendations from Stealth (thanks - top bloke  :congrats:) when i've been asking a load of noob questions.

The way i see it, it's worth investing in caring for your car  :happy2:

Anyhow to be of some use to your original question for shampooing i'd recommend the following:

* 2 buckets
* 2 Lambs wool wash mits (cost about a tenner each)
* grit guard
* Megs #62 Mirror Glaze Professional Car Wash shampoo
* A plush drying towel
- use the 2 bucket method to wash your car. Use the 2 lambs wool wash mits, one does the roof, bonnet, rear flat panel, and top halves of the doors. The other mit washes the bottom halves of the doors, the front/splitter and rear boot lip  :happy2:

Results from using this stuff are great, I definitely recommend it  :party:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:05:10 pm by Frenzy »

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 01:39:57 pm »
Ta Frenzy. Much appreciated. They are on the shopping list too now. Getting expensive but I'm sure they'll last. :-)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:21 pm »
Just thought of one other thing. Does anyone use special window screen stuff to make the rain bead off?

Rain-X from halfrauds is enough for most people but you can also get carlack glass sealant which does a better job.

Offline yellowbelly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »

Have you clayed the car?

I don't have the ability to snow foam mate but yes I meant to put it. I only use a salt free all purpose cleaner (Stardrops), diluted of course, as it removes the vast majority of the old wax etc and helps get the paintwork ready for the glaze to be applied. Most shampoos that I have come across don't remove the old wax or not all of it anyway. It works for me  :happy2:

This isn't what the shampoo is designed for buddy, your best bet would simply be to add a little APC to your shampoo mix. this way you get a nice foamy mix with the added benefit of a little more washing/cleaning oompf from the APC as well as helping to strip previously applied protection.

The soapier/foamier the wash mix the better. Granted the APC will have toughly cleaning properties however mixed with a nice lambs wool mitt it won't make for a safe washing technique.

Even if you haven't got a snow foam lance I would still suggest putting a splash of shampoo and a splash of APC in a bucket, add some hot water then whack the pressure washer in there to get it all nice and bubbly.

Then chuck this mix over the car, almost like a 'by hand' version of the snow foaming.

Then pressure wash off, don't forget that the cleaner you can get the paintwork before you actually have to apply a mitt the better.

Sorry to waffle on and please don't think I'm trying to 'teach grandma to Suck eggs' but it could be useful for others that are new to in depth washing of their vehicles.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:45 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have a pressure washer or even a hose at my home address but I get where yiur coming from. The APC I use for removing old wax etc is basically a salt free fairy washing up liquid so it does foam up very nicely,on a par with a good shampoo anyway. Its just good at removing old crap without claying etc so its faster and to be honest I only do that rarely. Doing that is what I have to do with car shampoo on a regular basis which isn't the best I know but its the best of a bad job due to location. I try minimise the damage with lots of rinsing with a watering can before hand and nice light pressure with multiple buckets and wash mits.

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 01:11:22 pm »
More good advice. Thanks.

Regarding the rubber trim arounf windows etc. How do you guys stop the sealant/wax from going onto it? Do you just do it slowly/carefully?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 02:00:18 pm »
One thing you can try is to protect the trim so that it's easier to wipe the wax off.

I tend to do the trim last and means going over them with a triple duty brush and some apc. Takes off any wac residue.

Offline yellowbelly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »
One thing you can try is to protect the trim so that it's easier to wipe the wax off.

I tend to do the trim last and means going over them with a triple duty brush and some apc. Takes off any wac residue.

To be honest its Polishes that you really want to try keeping off any rubber/plastic, with regards to Waxes and Sealants its not too bad. Just give them a wipe after you have waxed/sealed.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »
+1 - I've never really found waxes to be much of an issue in staining plastics. What I hate though is when the wax cures and you can see the white residue in crevices.

Managed to get some detailing sticks off ebay for this, which help immensely/