Make a donation

Author Topic: BMW to make Tri-Turbo engines  (Read 5379 times)

Offline shugyboi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: BMW to make Tri-Turbo engines
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »
I'm currently smoking around in a brand new 530d M sport 8 speed DCT. Aside from it being like trying to park a church, it's a fantastic car and stupidly fast cross country. 400 horses would be insane!

is it the f series?

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 05:50:08 pm »
Surely it's got to be if it has the 8-speed DCT...

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 05:54:23 pm »
Yeah, F10 is it?

Awesome car, really hides its size/weight from behind the wheel and that 'box uses the diesel's powerband really effectively. Steering feels a bit meh, I'm guessing it's e-PAS? Otherwise, I'm super impressed with them, I'd love a go of the M5 when it arrives.

Just dropped it off and now have my 135i back.. I've got to say mine's still better  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »

Kin hell...how good does this mock up look :drool: :drool:

:drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  Me likey! Me likey a lot. Petrol much more preferred though.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline shugyboi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 02:37:36 pm »
Yeah, F10 is it?

Awesome car, really hides its size/weight from behind the wheel and that 'box uses the diesel's powerband really effectively. Steering feels a bit meh, I'm guessing it's e-PAS? Otherwise, I'm super impressed with them, I'd love a go of the M5 when it arrives.

Just dropped it off and now have my 135i back.. I've got to say mine's still better  :happy2:

yeah f10 mate. stunnin cars. some amount of kit in them as standard

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 12:21:49 pm »
Don't know if this is a pearoast or not.

http://www.motoringspy.co.uk/693/2012-bmw-m3-new-tri-turbo-engine/

BMW are starting to develop Tri-turbo engines. The first one will be 3.0 diseasel pushing out 395bhp & 650lbft  :surprised:

There is also talk of them making a petrol version which pushes out circa 440bhp. Apparently it will be a similar system to the VAG supercharged/turbo charged engines with one turbo being small and dealing with low revs whilst the other 2 spin up and produce high end power.

Should be quite interesting seeing this come to fruition. Especially if the rumours are true of a diseasel M5 :driver:

I'll cut my balls off and hang them on my washing line if this happens in the next 10 years..

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 12:55:56 pm »

BMW are starting to develop Tri-turbo engines. The first one will be 3.0 diseasel pushing out 395bhp & 650lbft  :surprised:

There is also talk of them making a petrol version which pushes out circa 440bhp. Apparently it will be a similar system to the VAG supercharged/turbo charged engines with one turbo being small and dealing with low revs whilst the other 2 spin up and produce high end power.

Should be quite interesting seeing this come to fruition. Especially if the rumours are true of a diseasel M5 :driver:

I'll cut my balls off and hang them on my washing line if this happens in the next 10 years..

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24161

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 01:08:14 pm »

C'mon then Ron...   :popcornsoda: :rolleye:

Nasir

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 06:43:08 pm »

Pistonheads said:

It's also unlikely to be a 'full-on' M car; BMW knows its market and won't risk compromising the perceived purity of the brand, so expect this to be a halfway-house between a full-on M model and an M Sport spec.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »
Exactly ^^^

A diesel M Car and a diesel M5 are two different things..   Just like M Sport spec on most models (like mine), it doesn't make them an M car. Even though many a 'M badge wearing berk' in their 318i will disagree  :stupid: :fighting:

'M' Car

Definitely not an 'M' Car  :fighting:

No different to saying a 2.0 TDI S Line is and S model...  :confused:

Things my balls are safe for the time being..  :grin:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:21:15 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »

If you had said next 2-3 years then you may have been safe. However 10 years. :surprised:

You may have to change your name from Sunglasses Ron to Eunuch Ron as i have screen dumped this page. :laugh:

No going back now  :evilgrin:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 03:35:41 pm »

please dont film it and post it on Youtube. 

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 04:12:46 pm »

please dont film it and post it on Youtube. 

:laugh: