Make a donation

Author Topic: Jacking points  (Read 13093 times)

Offline liveround

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Jacking points
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:12:22 pm »
Getting all 4 wheels refurbed, so need to leave the car without wheels up for a week. I was planning to leave it sitting on 4 blocks of wood, where is the correct place to put them considering I need to get to the jacking points to insert/remove the blocks.

lr

Offline itismebigd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: Jacking points
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »
imo, i would recommend you use axel stands,a lot safer plus will still allow you access to the jacking points

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:57:21 pm »
Getting all 4 wheels refurbed, so need to leave the car without wheels up for a week. I was planning to leave it sitting on 4 blocks of wood, where is the correct place to put them considering I need to get to the jacking points to insert/remove the blocks.

lr
Where are you mate, I have 4 x Audi A4 wheels sitting in the garage that you could borrow.......

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline liveround

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:24:23 pm »
VRS_Pagey thanks for the offer, but  I'm in NI.

Where do u put the axle stands?

lr

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:16:31 am »
As detailed in the link adove, but looking at this I don't think I would use the sill lip on the rear!  When I had mine up recently to paint the calipers I put the axle stands here -

If you look under the car you will see where I mine, sorry for the crappy picture, from the phone and it was raining.

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:22:46 am »
Does anyone have any advice on central jacking points front and rear?

I don't see how you can get the axle stands on the re-enforced part of the sill at the rear if the jack is on said part of the sill  :confused: :confused:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 09:46:55 am »
Does anyone have any advice on central jacking points front and rear?

I don't see how you can get the axle stands on the re-enforced part of the sill at the rear if the jack is on said part of the sill  :confused: :confused:

It's possible, I use a slim bottle jack which gives me clearance to position my axle stand in tandem.

Although without the right equipment it's not ideal.

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 10:02:02 am »
Yeah that's the problem.

Ideally I'd like to be able to jack the front of the car from a central jacking point and position my axle stands. I hate jacking from the sides and seeing the car push and pull to the side as it's lifted.

When I did my oil change I got round this by putting a hydraulic jack on each front sill jacking point and jacking equally, then lowering the car bit-by-bit on each side onto the axle stands under the subframe... Very time consuming and fiddley. If I'd had a central jacking point I could of jacked it up, positioned the stands and lowered it without it moving left and right in the air!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 12:35:19 pm »
That's the problem with these cars, they weren't designed for floor jacks.   There is nowhere on the front I would centrally jack from.  No cross member under the radiator and I certainly wouldn't jack up on the alloy subframe!

And it's the same story at the rear.  No bracing tying the load members together on which you can jack up on.

I hate the bodyshell bending too, and I'm sure my door seals have started creaking over bumps more since I've been jacking up side to side quite frequently lately.  There's only so many times you can bend a shell before it starts to get sick of it!

I guess all you can do is do what you've been doing already, gradually lift the car a bit at a time with 2 jacks.  It's what I do also.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 02:08:43 pm »
I have in the past driven the front end up ramps, then jacked and supported the rear, then gone back to the front and did the same.
Car left on stands for months (in garage) when laid up while I was working overseas.
Not a Golf tho, so can't help with your Q about central hardpoints.

Not sure if this is of any use at all to OP, but ramps are cheap enough.... :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 02:11:41 pm »
Good shout on ramps!  I keep forgetting they exist!  Dead handy for simple stuff like oil changes, but a bit scary to use at first if you're not used to them.

Just had a thought about central jacking actually..... just need a bit of beefy steel box section straddled between the two console bushes and jack in the middle of it.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 02:15:57 pm »
I'm doing the DSG this weekend so need all four corners off the ground so the car is level. Currently going through a few options,

- driving rear end up the ramps, then jacking and supporting front on axle stands but may still result in the car being unlevel, plus im not really sure about jacking the front up quite a lot to get the stands in whilst the back is up on the ramps

Favourite so far is to jack the front, put in a piece of 300 x 50 x 250 wood, then do the same around all corners. Then jack a little higher, put another piece in, around all four corners. keep going round doing one wheel and piece of wood at a time so ends up all four wheels on 3x50mm thick bits of wood

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »
Or, if you get a bonus from work this year - https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems.html

willni

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 03:54:32 pm »
Who are you using in Northern Ireland? you can leave your car with Nu-luk for free if you use them