Make a donation

Author Topic: steering wheel controls ?  (Read 8596 times)

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
steering wheel controls ?
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:23:01 pm »
is it easy to fit steering wheel controls onto a car that hasnt got them as standard?

Has anyone done this?

My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline shugyboi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: steering wheel controls ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 02:17:23 pm »
there was a post regarding this recently mate. it can be done? what year is your golf?

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 02:42:27 pm »
It's only easy if you have a DSG car with paddles on the steering wheel. Otherwise no, it's not easy at all :smiley:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:43:14 pm »
is it easy to fit steering wheel controls onto a car that hasnt got them as standard?
Depends if the car is DSG or not. If it's DSG and has the flappy paddles, the steering wheel spokes are hollow and can be replaced with switches. Otherwise it's a new steering wheel with the buttons already built in.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 05:11:52 pm »
cheers fellas, my cars an 08 plate, no dsg or paddles though. so its not going to be a cheap modification then haha
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »
You'll need a new wheel, slip ring, & most likely new steering wheel controller too. It's a big job :wink:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:45:27 am »
You'll need a new wheel, slip ring, & most likely new steering wheel controller too. It's a big job :wink:

cheers fella, think i will be leaving that for a while then

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:45:18 am »
its not such a massive job...

if you already have a 3 spoke steering wheel, then its a fair bit easier as the airbag is the same...

then its just a case of finding the steering wheel from ebay/forum, hunt around in a salvage yard for a steering control module and if your car already has cruise and trip computer, i doubt you'd have to change the slip ring, i didnt and i have a 'basic' 1.9tdi sport model...

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:03:21 am »
you will also need a new airbag wiring harnes as there are two versions basic one for horn and airbag and MF version with an extra wire.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 06:45:31 pm »
It doesnt have to be expensive, I got my Mk5 MFSW off apples12 for £65 and bagged a Mk6 one for much less than the Mk5 one! Just take your time in collecting the bits! Airbag loom is £25. Slip ring is £30-40. The only expensive thing is the module!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:32 pm »
if you have a highline, cruise.....std wheel. is there a way of telling if you have the correct module? or loom wire?

or do you have to take it appart?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 10:03:35 am »
If you've got highline and cruise its quite likely you may already have the correct module, only proper way of checking is to either do a vag com scan, or remove the cowling around the steering wheel and to physically inspect. (unclip the top bit, rotate wheel 90degrees, remove first t20 screw, rotate wheel 180degrees and remove the second one, and the few screws on teh bottom and the lower cowling will be able to be removed. then physically read the full code off the module)

if you don't have a MFSW you will definitely require a new airbag loom because the loom's between MFSW and non-MFSW are completely different.

i found it was quite an 'easy' mod to do, and well worth it in my opinion, only bit i had the garage do was the actual wheel swap because i didnt fancy poking around inside an airbag and i didnt have that fancy 12point bit.

good luck!
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:22:58 pm »
If you've got highline and cruise its quite likely you may already have the correct module, only proper way of checking is to either do a vag com scan, or remove the cowling around the steering wheel and to physically inspect. (unclip the top bit, rotate wheel 90degrees, remove first t20 screw, rotate wheel 180degrees and remove the second one, and the few screws on teh bottom and the lower cowling will be able to be removed. then physically read the full code off the module)

if you don't have a MFSW you will definitely require a new airbag loom because the loom's between MFSW and non-MFSW are completely different.

i found it was quite an 'easy' mod to do, and well worth it in my opinion, only bit i had the garage do was the actual wheel swap because i didnt fancy poking around inside an airbag and i didnt have that fancy 12point bit.

good luck!

very helpful, cheers mate, theres a few other things id like to do first anyway. such as the rear valance and lower. then ill get a vagcom on it and check it out.

thanks again

Offline marcus

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 12:11:39 pm »
A bit pricey, but....  http://www.vwcruise.com/22.html
2006 2.0T 5 door GTi
Silver, Xenons, Heated Seats, Cruise, MFSW, 18" Monzas, Lux Pack.

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 08:18:49 pm »
A bit pricey, but....  http://www.vwcruise.com/22.html

cheers pal im far too tight for that tho haha