Make a donation

Author Topic: Megane Renaultsport cup 250  (Read 24430 times)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: Megane Renaultsport cup 250
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »
So what would I need to take on the RS 250?

Coilovers? ARBs? WALK? Uprated brakes? LSD? All of the above?

Driving ability.....

I'd happily go head to head with a renultsport at a track day, I have a stage 1 ed30, straight lines isn't were I try to win I like the corners....but I'd be gone by then  :happy2: dude did you really just put that :signLOL:

People seem to forget how the golf feels, it's a golf! Designed to be silent, designed to be a great family car,designed to last
When I first got my ed30 I was unsure what was faster out of my old polo g40 (171bhp) or the standard ed30, after the 1st "spirited" drive I realised the gold was faster by a fair bit! The golf took lots less effort to do what the G40 took lots of effort to do, the G40 felt fast as the noise from the exhaust was louder, road noise was louder, steering was more of a fight, car was lower.....so the car had a kind of "4D cinema" effect, when people went out in it there was "WOW SLOW DOWN" although the car was fast its effects made it seem faster than it was, the golf will have people sit in complete silence, you have no sense of speed, it's very silent, very little road noise.....there for it didn't feel to "alive" feels kind of numb? BUT when you look at the speedo things are different and you go from being in a comfort zone to a "SHI7!" you have no real sense of speed, kind of like riding a push bike...feels faster than your actually going!'
Its how well the driver can drive, Id happily put the golf against a non standard renultsport at a track day and I'll be very very confident in what would happen  :smiley: I've got lots of experience from both brands too  :happy2:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2011, 09:40:11 pm »
Sounds like a sex aid, eh?

JackG.... LOL, bless your cotton socks. You wouldn't stand a chance.
Do you have one?

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 09:43:06 pm »
provisions...................

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:44:47 pm by QD »

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:20 pm »

Haha :grin:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »
Sounds like a sex aid, eh?

Do you have one?

I had a GTI track car, then a Clio RS200 Cup and a good friend has an RS250. I do say 8 track days a year and a couple of Ring trips - I'm no pro driver by any stretch, but I can judge a car's pace.

Believe me when I tell you this, The Clio was as quick as the Golf. The Megane is a far, far faster car than a Golf ever will be... with the exception of a VW Cup car. On slicks.

Your point about the Golf being a different car is valid, they are and always will be.

Answer me this, what car currently holds the FWD record around the Ring? And by how far a margin is that over the Golf - do you think your extra BHP is going to bridge that gap??
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:15:29 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 09:53:44 pm »
Have to agree... Even at Stage 2+, I wouldn't of taken a 250 on at anything less than a straight line dual.. If I tried chasing even the older R26 round a track (let alone the 250), i'd be on my roof in the kitty litter at the first corner..  :driver:

However, I will agree on the driver ability part. But like for like and you'd struggle even with the likes of it's little brother..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:55:28 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2011, 10:17:49 pm »
Well in a recent FWD hot hatch group test i read, the Megane was slower in a straightline than the cupra (which was the fastest on test) ! so it wont be faster than a stage 1 edition 30, faster on a track defintootly it has the nurburgring FWD record and you should see some of the motors it beat and is just infront of it
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2011, 11:43:40 pm »
I'd like to have a bit of track time in a 250 cup. Don't know if I'd like to live with one day to day though.

I'd also like to bet that my old ED30 would be faster on track than a modded 250 cup in the same hands too  :booty: :popcornsoda:
Golf R gone.

Offline RussZS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 12:20:26 am »
This thread makes me want to get back in a RenaultSport

I'm trying to justify spending money on my Ed30, to 'make it handle like my old R26' but it's just a waste of time and money - I'm better off selling up and getting a 250 (or a 135i lol)

As said, a Clio 200 would batter a standard Ed30 if you throw a few bends at it, the 250 is a step up from that.  Sure my Ed30 is quick in a straight line, but I have very little confidence in it otherwise.  It grips, but it just doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the Megane I had :(

I guess it's a better all round car though... and certainly handles better than a VXR.
www.midlandscarcare.co.uk - www.facebook.com/midlandscarcare

I used to be indecisive.......... but now I'm not so sure!

Offline RussZS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 12:22:50 am »
This is a LOT of car for the money

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3039064.htm
www.midlandscarcare.co.uk - www.facebook.com/midlandscarcare

I used to be indecisive.......... but now I'm not so sure!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 12:27:53 am »
I cant see why a set of ARB's v3/clubsports and a full set of bushes wouldnt make the ED30 a better handler than the megane.

I know a lightly modded scirocco R was doing faster lap times than a 911 GT3 as when tested by a german car mag.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 02:53:22 am »
Because of this below. This is the game changer Ford tried to copy for the MKII Focus RS, their Perfohub. It completely changes the way a FWD's suspension works.

It's amazing how something on shocks & springs with an old skool rear beam (no fancy multilink rear set up like the MKV) can have so much mechanical grip, that's where it gets it times. The speed you can carry through a corner is xx% higher than anything else.

Sideways yo!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2011, 03:12:26 am »
Sub 8 mins B-G, amateur on damp TF. Standard power & brakes, KWs, Federal 595s.

iirc, you claimed a sub-8 in your Golf, Hurdy by splicing times from a track day - so going with that, it had 100+ more BHP? You'd stripped your car/lightened with carbon - how many thousands of £ in mods had you spent a that stage to do that?

I suppose you could get an idea of time comparison by comparing the two films, measure your time from the T13 90degree left hander entering Hatzenbach to gantry. He does it in 7:26. If you're on similar pace, then take the 31 seconds it takes the Megane's bridge to T13 and add to yours.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:43:54 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6e88ti55tpt923urqmpurpnke5&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 08:50:36 am »
Those hubs certainly are an interesting design, a picture doesn't explain why they are better though. Is it because the wheel rotates 'flatter'?

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55:06 am »
This is a LOT of car for the money

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3039064.htm

Your certainly not wrong Russ  :surprised:.. What does worry me though, is how much that would of been new and it's only a year old..  My bet is he will of done 6k in the first year and that's if he sells at his current screen price.. :scared:

Absolutely despise the 19's on them too..  :sick: