Make a donation

Author Topic: KW Variant 1 Opinions please...  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
KW Variant 1 Opinions please...
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:10:59 am »
Hi All,

Does anyone have any feedback on the KW Variant 1's? Amazing that i've trawed the net in general and there isn't a great deal of feedback on them! In particular i'd like to know how are they comfort wise for daily use  - i won't be tracking the car but do want to improve the handling.

I was about to go down the Koni FSD/Eibach pro route but the FSD's are out of stock for a couple of weeks - typical!

Any feedback especially from KW V1 owners who went from stock to these would be greatly appreciated.  :happy2:

Black GTI, DSG, Cruise control, MFD2,  Leather, MFSW with paddles, Parrot kit, Xenons, CD Changer, Armrest, Come home lighting/puddle lights, mod list in glovebox waiting for some cash and sunny weather....

Offline Dario

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • booosting... :)
Re: KW Variant 1 Opinions please...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:38:25 am »
my friend has the eibach pro street ,same as kw1 but diferent color ,they are the best coils for daily use,my opinion that they are even more confortable than the OEM gti setup :)

You wont regret geting them

ps : dont know the prices but if eibachs are cheaper get them ;) because eibach pro street = kw 1
REVO ST2+ Edition30 -sold

soon 2015 Golf R :)

Offline Stevenebm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:38:14 am »
How about the spax rsx kit.I see dc performance are doing them for £600.I've been looking at getting these but don't know if anybody has tried them.adjustable on car dampening and rebound it says.

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:46:52 am »
Try looking at weitec set. I had them for my ibiza and can get similar as the v2's for price of the v1s. Same company i believe. Great product.
Handled a lot better, was firm.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:55:49 am »
i choose kw v1 other the rest as they don't rust,had mine on 2 years years and have been excellent :happy2:

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 11:04:43 am »
Maxitrol how do you find the comfort levels on our choppy roads?

Black GTI, DSG, Cruise control, MFD2,  Leather, MFSW with paddles, Parrot kit, Xenons, CD Changer, Armrest, Come home lighting/puddle lights, mod list in glovebox waiting for some cash and sunny weather....

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 11:07:37 am »
when i was running 18" wheels it was slightly firmer than stock which is to be expected but not crashy or banging bout

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 11:23:36 am »
Larkspeed have the V1's for just over 600 quid, these have a galvanized strut, for £773 you can get the stainless steel version.   They also have the Spax kit which is powder coated with the adjusters being stainless, these can be had for £600.  The Weitecs are just over £600 for the GT's and also have a galvanised strut.

I've probably made your decision harder now though..... :laugh:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:45:11 pm »
Larkspeed have the V1's for just over 600 quid, these have a galvanized strut, for £773 you can get the stainless steel version.   They also have the Spax kit which is powder coated with the adjusters being stainless, these can be had for £600.  The Weitecs are just over £600 for the GT's and also have a galvanised strut.

I've probably made your decision harder now though..... :laugh:

Lol! Not quite. I'm just wondering whether I should wait for the Koni FSD's to be back in stock (many time a two week delay means a month) or whether it's worth spending the extra and buying the KW1's as long as the ride/comfort levels are good. If there's a head and shoulders difference in the balance of handling and comfort I'll do it, if not I'll wait for the FSD's...

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »
Comfort levels are fine on good roads, if you start going over broken tarmac thought they are a nightmare ( just like any coilover ) like cringe time ! I dont think ill be going for a coilover this time, thats only because ive got a baby and girlfriend that moaned about it all the time though, if i was single again id have em, the damping was very well balanced !

Id say if you were really worried about comfort a coilover is not for you.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 02:55:17 pm »
If you are considdering strut type what about bilstein b12 ?

Offline Redev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 03:10:17 pm »
Comfort levels are fine on good roads, if you start going over broken tarmac thought they are a nightmare ( just like any coilover ) like cringe time ! I dont think ill be going for a coilover this time, thats only because ive got a baby and girlfriend that moaned about it all the time though, if i was single again id have em, the damping was very well balanced !

Id say if you were really worried about comfort a coilover is not for you.

This is exactly where I'm at, I've got a little one as well and while I do want good handling when she's not in the car and it's my "fun" time but I don't want to be shaking the poor little mite all over the place when she's travelling with me. I don't know anything about the B12's?!?  Not one I'd considered. Any feedback?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:16:15 pm by Redev »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
maybe h&r springs might be the best for you--Darren(mortygttdi) just put a set on his again and it does look spot on

Offline neil86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 06:07:58 pm »
great to hear i am about to purchase suspension, what about ap's alot of people seem to think there great but at that price are they just thrown together.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 06:21:11 pm »
Yea if you hit a pot hole in the v1s you will wake the little one up... BANG !

I had the bilstein b12 kit on my m3 and they were spot on ! I try and do stuff behind my mrs back when it comes to cars, as she goes mental at the amount of money i spend and she never noticed when i fitted them. Im not going to lie and tell you they are more comfortable than oem, but if the gti setup is simelar to the m3 in terms of comfort, id be very happy with the ride quality even if it was factory fit

Also id imagine the new b12 set up with the eibach springs would be even more comfortable as they are slightly softer than the old h&r, the lovering on the is 30mm which is the perfect drop for the gti too
(thats what i had my kws at )

Performance wise the were grate they were nice on the road, and the car was grate on the track too, ive got a good test route that shows up bad damping, take a type r over it at 60 and it will throw its self off the road ! The bilsteins felt planted over this route, best yet i felt infact, although tbh the gti with the standard sachs doesnt fair to bad either on this route.

Im sure you will find a kit for cira £650, fit and forget plus they have good residuals come selling time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:25:36 pm by gobbleplease »