Make a donation

Author Topic: Shark remap......  (Read 6770 times)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Shark remap......
« on: September 01, 2011, 03:05:22 pm »
Just uploaded my Shark developed stage 1 map via STS to the GT, estimated figures are around 180 bhp 300lb/ft.  

I was hoping for it to be comparable to the PD170 but I am pleasantly surprised, the power delivery is far more linear (almost like a CR) and it feels significantly more powerful.   Yeah baby, I am now a happy man, obviously not the same as a stage 1 on the vRS, but my god does it pull.  :grin:

Also fitted a rear torque arm insert, engine rock - what engine rock?  :grin:  :grin:  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:20:47 pm by vRS_Pagey »

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline JulioTDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Shark remap......
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:21:56 pm »
Which rear torque arm insert did you get? Where do you feel the benefits of fitting one? I was concerned with vibrations transferring into the car?
2016 Mk7 Golf GTE 1.4 TSI 204PS PHEV

Past: 2008 Mk5 Golf GT Sport 2.0 TDI 140PS

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:08:37 pm »
Which rear torque arm insert did you get? Where do you feel the benefits of fitting one? I was concerned with vibrations transferring into the car?

I have one in the vRS which I got from JKM but I got this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300568978090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - for the Golf as it was a bit cheaper, only done a few miles but so far no vibrations.  If you go for the one in the link it is specfically for the diesel, so the compound of the bush is softer.  Imo its a very cheap but worthwhile mod.  :happy2:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:18:24 pm »
Ditto!  :grin: just loaded my shark map up onto my car after work. First impression is, hmmm where's all thus power? Then you look down at the speedo and have to step on the anchors sharpish. The map has smoothed out the power delivery a lot, even smoother than the stock map. Rolling road is booked for the 16th so will get power figures then. Think it's supposed to be 400 lb/ft torque instead of 300 tho. Well worth the money and the changeability of my STS box. And at a bargain price too!  :happy2:

Must look into this uprated dog bone mount tho.
 :driver:

Offline JulioTDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:34 pm »
I have one in the vRS which I got from JKM but I got this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300568978090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - for the Golf as it was a bit cheaper, only done a few miles but so far no vibrations.  If you go for the one in the link it is specfically for the diesel, so the compound of the bush is softer.  Imo its a very cheap but worthwhile mod.  :happy2:

Was it easy to fit yourself? What tools and how long does it take? Mine is probably the later shaped engine mount though so a different part no.
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=36768&xSec=158

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:06:39 pm »
I just took my car to the local tyre fitters, one bolt out, push rubber mount in, put new bolt back in, torque it up. They didnt even charge me for it :happy2:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:34:28 am »
Ditto!  :grin: just loaded my shark map up onto my car after work. First impression is, hmmm where's all thus power? Then you look down at the speedo and have to step on the anchors sharpish. The map has smoothed out the power delivery a lot, even smoother than the stock map. Rolling road is booked for the 16th so will get power figures then. Think it's supposed to be 400 lb/ft torque instead of 300 tho. Well worth the money and the changeability of my STS box. And at a bargain price too!  :happy2:

Must look into this uprated dog bone mount tho.
 :driver:
I think thats 400nm (296lb/ft), 400lb/ft would be an increase of over 150lb/ft from standard, Ben is good, but not that good!!!   :driver:

Was it easy to fit yourself? What tools and how long does it take? Mine is probably the later shaped engine mount though so a different part no.
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=36768&xSec=158

If your car is newer than mid 2008 then you will need this  - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERFLEX-BUSH-PFF85-704R-Lower-Engine-Mount-Insert-/270770191403?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0b293c2b - same price as Awesome, but with free delivery.
Regarding fitting, it took longer getting the car on the ramps than it did to fit the insert.  I had to remove a few screws from the engine tray, just enough to flex it out of the way.  The bolt was VERY tight infact I had to use the trolley jack handle as extra leverage on the rachet.  Once this was out its 2 minutes to grease up the insert and slip it home.....ooooer! Bolt in, engine tray secure and volia.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:08:27 am by vRS_Pagey »

Offline JulioTDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:48:50 am »
Sounds like a cheap and worthwhile job... just need to find a ramp to use! I don't think a jack on the drive will do with this! :smiley:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:07:54 am »
Sounds like a cheap and worthwhile job... just need to find a ramp to use! I don't think a jack on the drive will do with this! :smiley:

I have a mini trolley jack and axle stands, but I couldn't get the car high enough with these.  I have a set of ramps which did the job with the addition of a few blocks of wood (front bumper is to low).  Where are you based mate, its unlikely but of you are local I can do it for you......alternatively, as heavyd says, nip down your local tyre fitters, it's literally a 10 minute job.  :happy2:

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 7
  • My VRS
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 10:09:32 am »
Interested to see what results all you guys get on the rr! Keep
us posted!

Offline JulioTDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:39:23 pm »
I have a mini trolley jack and axle stands, but I couldn't get the car high enough with these.  I have a set of ramps which did the job with the addition of a few blocks of wood (front bumper is to low).  Where are you based mate, its unlikely but of you are local I can do it for you......alternatively, as heavyd says, nip down your local tyre fitters, it's literally a 10 minute job.  :happy2:

I'm in Essex, near Stansted Airport. Should check what engine arm I have first so I get the correct insert!

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 02:51:04 pm »

I'm in Essex, near Stansted Airport. Should check what engine arm I have first so I get the correct insert!

I'm near Dover so for that job it certainly isn't a worthwhile trip.  Below are the 2 different types, I just stuck my camera under the car and took a coupl of pictures to compare.  :happy2:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 03:28:30 pm »
Ha bugger, I wanted this ages ago but awesome told me it would make to much vibration? only thing is now I don't know which insert I need cos all my front end are S3 items hubs, wishbones and subframe cradle...I think the parts come from a 2009 S3?

Darren

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 03:52:05 pm »
I dont know where all the vibration talk comes from? mine feels no differemt at all, just get slightly less wheelspin, but for the price you cant argue :wink:
The worrying thing for me was watching the car on the roliing road standing at the side, and the distance the engine moves is ridiculous

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 04:02:49 pm »
I dont know where all the vibration talk comes from? mine feels no differemt at all, just get slightly less wheelspin, but for the price you cant argue :wink:
The worrying thing for me was watching the car on the roliing road standing at the side, and the distance the engine moves is ridiculous

To stop engine movement almost entirely, you will need a set of VF engine mounts, very much like the set I just sold Danish!  :happy2:

Ha bugger, I wanted this ages ago but awesome told me it would make to much vibration? only thing is now I don't know which insert I need cos all my front end are S3 items hubs, wishbones and subframe cradle...I think the parts come from a 2009 S3?

Darren

The lower mount should still be the same?? If not there are only 2 - in the picture I added, do what I did, slide your camera under, and take a picture.  :wink: