Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam belt failures?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Cam belt failures?
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:41:53 pm »
I've seen loads of info on here about when cam belts are due etc and obviously the rule of thumb now is every 4 years or 40k whichever comes first. I bought my mk5 back in May and it had covered 66k but the FSH (early on VW later indipendants) looks to have been based on the long life frequency as described in the service book and therfore the dealer (non VW) didn't do the cam belt and at the time and I was non the wiser either. I got a fairly good Mini/BMW warranty and I will be getting the belt changed as soon as this runs out but I just wondered how common cam belt failures are and was the servicing schedule changed due to cars blowing up? because from what I can gather depending on make or country this particular engine can still be on the original 120k schedule.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Cam belt failures?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:54:25 pm »
Dunno if it's true or just scare tactics, but when my car was in for it's cambelt change the other week at the dealers, at about 4 and a half years, the service desk were telling me that they have seen a few belts recently that have let go.
And caused no end of damage. This was while it was in, so they were not trying to sell me the cambelt work.
Guess these were on a mixture of cars that were older than 4 years old, but that's what I was told.
They gave no specifics so this could all be BS, but that's what was said.

WILLZIE

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 04:19:38 pm »
Are these engines designed not to hit the valves if the belt snaps whilst driving??

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:21:14 pm »
Are these engines designed not to hit the valves if the belt snaps whilst driving??

Nope...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:53:16 pm »
...obviously the rule of thumb now is every 4 years or 40k whichever comes first...

4 years or 60k  :happy2:

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:12:17 pm »
It seems to me its same as the 1.8t engines. All down to what dealer you ask or vag make as service books differ between cars with same engine.

Id get it done for peace of mind though if its done over 60k. Like mines on 72k but has full VW service history but cambelt never been done. Says to check it at 60k and if okay check every 2 years or 20k thereafter.