Make a donation

Author Topic: Test drove my next car today. Well next years car.............  (Read 4826 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Test drove my next car today. Well next years car.............
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:42:38 pm »
This is at least 12 months away yet, but I like to plan my car owning.

And seeing as I only live 5 miles away from the factory, and that I have always been smitten with them, I decided to pop along to see if it was a scratch that really needed itching, or just a small nip that would go away if ignored..........................

Well the car is question, was a supercharged number, weighing in at 650kgs (ish) with 300 horses.................

Ariel atom 3 300. 

I popped along today, and must say that they put other workshops to shame, to say that it was clean, and ultimately professional was an understatement.................... First impressions looking like it was an itch that needed scratching.

We spoke about all aspects of ownership, and spent 1.5 hours chatting about cars and their latest V8 development, and the Atom 3.

First impressions suddenly meant a rather large itch developed.  Before I knew it, I heard myself can I test one?  Sure was the cry................ and I could tell by the smile he knew he had me by the short and curly's!

20 mins later we were pootling in 5th, in traffic, through town, with normal car manners, no Vibration felt or untoward sounds often associated with a stiffly sprung car with a poly-bushed engine, and rose jointed suspension.

The car in question had Alcon’s f+r, LSD, supercharger, Sticky tyres, err and sound track to die for.  Extremely simple, but very special engineering none the less.

Well the town was behind us, and the road became clearer, and all I can say is F**K my tall hat!

I have never been in, or on something that seemed to accelerate so quickly, I say seem, because I am sure my old R1, or ZX7-RR did, but the effect of being so low accentuates the fact.

The car was ballistic, but so well mannered, it would open up overtaking opportunities that would only be available on a bike; it was massively quick, something less than 3 to 60, and sub not a lot after to the 100.

We went down some of my favourite roads, near my house, on the 25 mile drive.  After about 10 miles it was my turn.  Strap in, thumb the isolation switch, press the tit, and the VTec donkey settled into a nice thrum.  Then indicate and pull away, no heavy clutch, easy gear change, then sit at 50 in traffic, and get chance to open the taps.................

F**k my tall hat ................3rd
same again for 4th, 5th etc.  then brake, down a cog, slap her in and the G force does make the neck ache.

One part I have not mentioned is the noise of the Charger...................F**k my tallen hatten!  What a sound track.

Blip on the down shifts and the charger emits a bark into the induction, what fun.

Not my pic, but look at the engineering............

I will be selling a kidney soon, and having an Atom 300. With a small Van as a daily......... :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:

Atom 300 at the ring.............

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Test drove my next car today. Well next years car.............
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:47:01 pm »

Im excited for you!  :jumping: :driver:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:54:04 pm »
Great car just love how they are made  :notworthy:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:01:46 pm »
I didn't mention the steering/suspension ................... No slop, no delay, no roll, you turned the wheel and the car went exactly where you wanted it too, in fact at fist it was a little disconcerting, almost too good!

But with time...................It was F**K my tall hat ace!  Just like a big 4 wheeled bike........ :driver:

Saint Steve

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »
Is that the sort of car for your dodgy back Dave?  :confused:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:10:23 pm »
It is all about support Steve, bad seats and bad seating positions make it ache, the cayman pedals are offset to the left to allow for the intrusion of the front wheel into the footwell, so you are always sitting slightly sideways.

Decent seats like the ones you can spec in the Atom are great.  Race seats with correct padding will make a huge difference.  Plus you are sitting straight behind the pedals, and SW.

The seats in the std atom are solid, but very well shaped, so support the back properly, or at least it felt that way, actually more supportive than the TT, until I realised the TT Lumbar had reduced over time, so sorted it out, and the TT is better again.  It took a solid ergonomic seat to show me.

Ps the miles that you would do in an Atom are nowhere near a road car, so less exposure too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:14:23 pm by QD »

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:24:41 pm »
 :happy2:

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »
Got one in at the min for a setup and some new wheels with slicks.  Same spec as the one you drove.

After driving loads of them, I would still have a x-bow with a k04 kit.  ;). Downforce is a wonderful thing.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 08:02:03 pm »
 :drool: :drool:
Golf R gone.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 08:09:21 pm »
Me want!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:53:26 pm »
i did a track day in the 300 bhp atom in the summer , best car made , they leave most supercars on track , i wanted one but out off my price range , so got the RS250 megane :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 09:54:40 pm »
Good work QD, look forward to doing some track days with you next year  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:39 pm »
Cant wait to see you driving one.  :grin: with an old tin hat and some flying goggles.  :evilgrin:

I am new to superchargers and agree with you they are amazing when wound up.  :pomppomp:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 10:25:11 pm »
So this was you then Dave on the test drive? :evilgrin:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 11:11:43 pm »
Carl, I was slightly more camp, and screamed a bit more!

In all seriousness, I was lost for words, the Q word came out a few times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mental car.

:driver: