Make a donation

Author Topic: First signs of DSG problems?  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 4
  • Edition 30 No.1059 - GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
    • Email
First signs of DSG problems?
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:18:33 pm »
Have started noticing some problems with my DSG when changing up from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears with the paddles!

Basically it's not picking up the gear change but only happens very sporadically and does seem to be when under hard acceleration.

I did notice this a few months ago but thought it may have been me not pulling the paddles hard enough but did report this to the dealer when serviced, they couldn't find any error codes and it seemed to have been fine afterwards until now as the last few days I've experienced this a few times?

Is this the first signs of issues with my DSG and has anyone else had this problem and what was the outcome?  :scared:

My car is an 07 ED30 with 45k and had DSG service recently at 41k.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN - Edition30 No. 1059
Currently loving - SEAT Leon FR184 - sunroof, tech pack, 18" performance alloys, convenience and sound pack

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: First signs of DSG problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »
If it only happens when using the paddles i'd look to swapping out the up paddle first before worrying too much  :wink:

Faulty paddles do crop up now and again and mine sometimes logs a 'sporadic comms' fault in VCDS now and again..

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:31:26 pm »
If it only happens when using the paddles i'd look to swapping out the up paddle first before worrying too much  :wink:

Faulty paddles do crop up now and again and mine sometimes logs a 'sporadic comms' fault in VCDS now and again..

Cheers Beddie, I did extend my warranty as just had the car over a year now so hopefully this may be covered?

How much is a replacement paddle mate?

Currently loving - SEAT Leon FR184 - sunroof, tech pack, 18" performance alloys, convenience and sound pack

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:39:35 pm »
It'd be a good time to upgrade them. The OSIR ones can be bought from the USA for about £50
GTI going...

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:23 pm »
It'd be a good time to upgrade them. The OSIR ones can be bought from the USA for about £50

Thanks Weston, how are they compared with the standard paddles? Easy to fit by someone that has no technical skills with mods?

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 10:02:07 pm »

Cheers Beddie, I did extend my warranty as just had the car over a year now so hopefully this may be covered?

How much is a replacement paddle mate?

Here's a how to to replace the paddle due to a similar sounding fault to yours mate  :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22794.0.html

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »
 Brilliant, thanks Beddie, great link  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=l8kl5n5lbllb6338hkv220rocm&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 10:58:06 pm »

Thanks Weston, how are they compared with the standard paddles? Easy to fit by someone that has no technical skills with mods?

OSIR ones use the existing paddle switch so if the are already smoked, they won't fix it!

Thanks for posting the how to beddie.  :notworthy:

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »
So, took the car to VW Watford today, they diagnosed the issue to be with the control unit in the steering wheel as a fault was showing on both the +\- paddles, although I have only experienced issues with the + paddle.

Just waiting for confirmation covered under warranty (can't see an issue there?) and then booking back in to hopefully sort the annoying problem.

Will update once fitted as have heard a few similar problems with others and their DSG paddles.

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »
2 days later and still waiting for confirmation the control unit is covered under warranty, left numerous messages and not even the courtesy of reply from the service desk!

Further reason why I'll be avoiding VW Citygate Watford in future  :fighting:

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 04:30:19 pm »
Go to the dealer if it's close to you. They can't ignore you if you're there face to face  :happy2:
GTI going...

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »
Finally got the car into dealers this morning, control unit replaced under warranty and now all seems to be sorted following a good run using the paddles  :smiley:

Bit of a ball ache dealing with VW Watford on this but got there in the end and now time to start enjoying the paddles again  :pomppomp: