Make a donation

Author Topic: Behind dash sound  (Read 1057 times)

Offline graeme4130

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Behind dash sound
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:59:56 am »
I've recently noticed that when I first turn the ignition on in my 55 plate dsg gti afte leaving it overnight or for s while that I get a strange noise from behind the dash (sounds fairly low, maybe behind the satnav unit or below)
It's hard to describe, but it sounds a bit like a metallic bubbling noise and goes on for about a second or two.
The only thing I can think of that would perhaps 'bubble' is the aircon, but that all seems to be working ok, but the noise is worrying me as it's quite loud and I've not heard it in a car before
The car recently had a full service at a Vw dealer, who didn't pick it up as z problem, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has similar noises or could perhaps point me in the right direction before the dealer pulls my arm off with an inspection bill for something that's not a problem
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Graeme
Swindon

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
Re: Behind dash sound
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »
Graeme, i think most/all MkV's make this noise? Sounds abit like the Predator from those films lol?

I think it's something to do with the ventilation system or the in cabin temperature sensor.

If it is this mine has been doing this for 2 years and is nothing to worry about.

Anyone else......?
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline bankies

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Behind dash sound
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:12:08 pm »
Since I picked my car up 3 weeks ago I have always wondered about that noise  :laugh: