Make a donation

Author Topic: Selling on eBay - Advice please....  (Read 1448 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Selling on eBay - Advice please....
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:35 am »
I'm wanting to sell some gear I no longer use (music related, not car related, so don't get excited guys) on eBay but have no experience and would value some advice.

1) - Starting Price: Start just below what I would sell privately for?

2) - Buy Now price: Is it a good idea to do?

3) - Length of auction: 3-days? 7-days? Other?

4) - Payment method: Which would you advise?

5) - Payment: If PayPal how can I transfer money to a private account elsewhere?

I'm intending to limit the sale to UK mainland only if that's possible as it's much less hassle on shipping.

Thanks for any advice  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Nasir

Re: Selling on eBay - Advice please....
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:21:47 am »
Selling on eBays easy, albeit a rip off. Gumtree is sometimes the better option, I always use eBay as a last resort.

1) I usually start it at 99p and let it climb up by itself, starting at what price you expect may dissuade potential buyers or slow down the bidding. It will always go up to its value.

2) It can be, depends if you want a certain amount and how quick. It could hang around for a bit, consider adding a reserve amount to make sure it doesn't go for less than you expect.

3) I think 3 days is long enough, the time it finishes is much more important. You don't want it to finish at 5am for example. Tea time on weekdays is best.

4) I personally like cash on collection, but again that's because PayPal will charge you.

5) It's very easy, but you have to verify accounts etc. This can be a bit long winded.

Yes you can limit it to the UK mainland.

HTH  :happy2:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »
If there's a price in mind that you want, why not just list as a 'buy it now' rather than an auction. With the 'buy it now' format you can also allow buyers to submit their 'best offer' to you where you can choose to accept, decline, or counter-offer their offer.

Bear in mind that in most cases ebay will take 10% of the final selling price (not including shipping fees).

Robin, do you have an ebay account? If not, may be ask a friend who has, to sell on your behalf. Feedback can also be quite an important factor to buyers, gives them more confidence buying from a long established member with adequate feedback as opposed to a new signed up member with little or no feedback.

I think the best times for auctions to end are usually evenings, espacially Sundays and Thursdays, but not too much of an issue if using 'buy it now' format.

On ebay, Paypal is generally the preferred payment method, but again they take a certain fee (think it's something like 3% + 20p). I always transfer my paypal funds into my bank account without any issues, but if I remember, it did take a while to add my bank account to my paypal- verfication process etc.

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 01:38:49 pm »
I very carefully buy the odd thing off it, and very occasionally - in my honest opinion if you've lasted this long without it, I wouldn't touch it, Robin.

Find some music related forums and deal with people direct.
Sideways yo!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »
I sold an iphone 4 on ebay 5 times before it actually went to a real bidder. First 4 sales were scammers. Took me ages to get ebay to re redit the sellers fees.

More trouble than its worth.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:22:48 pm »
^
My singing buddy Lauren has said she'll put the word out among her contacts. I'm thinking that eBay would be a last resort. A Novation 49 key synth MIDI controller is quite a desirable bit of gear.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:48:00 pm »
It's definitely worth remembering that eBay now take 10% of the final sale prices. When you factor in the insertion fees, paypals 4% and the 10% just make sure it sells for what you want on a buy it now price if you do that. Make sure you put enough for postage as well.
I have sold hundreds of things on eBay and I always make sure I send them recorded or proof of delivery at least as paypal always tend to favour the buyer so unless you have proof of posting a dishonest buyer will get their money back.

I always try to end the auction on a Sunday night as well.

Good luck!

Offline will130787

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:42 pm »
I would only use eBay as a last resort too, especially for sruff like that. Get on a forum or as said use gumtree  :smiley:

h4rdy

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 11:33:09 am »
Ebay is great.
Stuff I have not been able to sell on here goes straight away.
Always take paypal but if the buyer says his card was hacked or he reverses the payment somehow they always side with the buyer.
Never post abroad unless low value.
I always put it up for 10 days if in no rush to sell.
I always list at 99p hardly ever put a reserve but sometimes do as you have to pay more to list.
I tend to list stuff at 6pm-9pm as people have generally finished their tea except Sat and Sun stuff always seems to go lower then.
Always send recorded or tracked as you can claim back if the buyer says he never received it.
Hope this helps.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:35 am »
^
Thanks h4rdy - It does help  :drinking:

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 02:49:49 pm »
I sold my daughters trampoline on there...all was great with the sale, until I got the actual final ebay sales costs! nearly £50 for a £420 sale...I was quite surprised, its not their fault but all mine I should have read and understood the costs. So, just beware how much it can cost you.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »

I sold my daughters trampoline on there...all was great with the sale, until I got the actual final ebay sales costs! nearly £50 for a £420 sale...I was quite surprised, its not their fault but all mine I should have read and understood the costs. So, just beware how much it can cost you.

....If I use eBay I'll check that aspect very carefully. Cheers  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 07:28:40 pm »

My singing buddy Lauren has said she'll put the word out among her contacts. I'm thinking that eBay would be a last resort. A Novation 49 key synth MIDI controller is quite a desirable bit of gear.

....Thx to Lauren  :love: item now sold to a local musician.

But all the advice here very gratefully recieved and noted in case I have to resort to eBay for other items.  :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: