Make a donation

Author Topic: BMW 335D  (Read 21867 times)

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
Re: BMW 335D
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2011, 04:37:32 pm »
Agree with Tony :happy2: Hold out for one with Nav etc. That is probably why the car is cheap as from my experience in the trade top spec BMW's do take quite a hit on the guide price if not fitted with Nav etc. 

But then again if your not fussed on the nav etc go for it if your happy with the figures.

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2011, 06:07:00 pm »
Id have a 335d over the 335i, unless the 335i had the newer n55 and a dct box. I had a 335i for a few days and managed 24mpg average, then used my 335d for a few days and same journey gave 38.8mpg. If anything the 335d was quicker as well in 'the real world' and I didnt have to fill up every 260 miles.

Did miss the straight 6 petrol soundtrack though. 

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:10 pm »
When we say dct.....the car is auto with flappy paddles....I thought it was well specified. Leather, auto (I assumed dct), Bluetooth, BMW business (is that the uprated one?), front rear parking sensors, folding mirrors, cruise, 19" wheels. 9500 miles, road tax 6 months, mot full year, years BMW warranty, just serviced.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2011, 08:23:52 pm »
I think (and I may be wrong) that the 335i was available in manual, auto, and DCT. If it was 7-speed then it would be DCT...

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 08:41:40 pm »
ahhh I see...I just thought they were the same thing! better check that one out then in the am. Actually I am coming away from this now to be honest, the low mpg is a pain, I don't mind paying more a month for a newer car and quite fancy a 3 coupe, so I think i will wait for a 330/335d at the right spec and the right price.

Such a shame though as the mileage is so low,...when the sales person was away i dug into the folder on his desk and took a note of the previous owners number, I called him tonight and confirmed all was well with the car and why the miles are so low. He is in Norway working. It is a cracking car though, but perhaps with such a dreadful mpg return it really isn't the car for me.

I don't actually cover that many miles but visiting the petrol station every 5 mins would be a mare and is one of the reasons I started to look, guess my head turned when I saw what a beast I could get for my money!

I will sleep on it, but I think that I have talked myself out of it now.  :drinking: or is it  :sad1:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2011, 09:36:20 pm »
DCT preceded the Step-tronic auto and is indeed 7 speed as Andrew says.. Easiest way to tell is the gear knob..

DCT :

Step-tronic :

DCT shifter looks like this :

If it's a 2008 model, it will be a Step-tronic IMO.
As for MPG, yeah the N54 engine is less efficient than the newer N55. But not by any big margin (2 mpg maybe). Neither are what you would call gas guzzlers either. Unless you drive it like you stole it everytime you use it, you should see mid to low 20's around town quite easily. I average 30mpg in mine (37-38 on a run), but I do a lot of motorway mileage too..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:39:05 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:04 pm »
 :happy2:

Step tronic it was then.

I think I'd be ok with a similar mpg to my gti around town but tbh if much worse I'd start cycling. Lol nah...who am I kidding.

Shame there was no nav. Other than that with the low miles reckon it's all there.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:28 pm »
It is a cracking engine mate tbh... Only you can make the decision.  :wink: How many miles a year do you do?

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:37 pm »
8-10k so it makes no real sense paying much more for a diesel. An equivalent 335d or 330d is a good bit more expensive though there would be a lot of satisfaction from good performance AND not spending half my life filling up.

Thinking dct and nav are important too now in the resale. As above I'm talking myself out if it.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2011, 10:15:48 pm »
The nav and idrive system is a must, adds so much more to the car than just a satnav.

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2011, 07:05:55 am »
Equivalent 335d/330d's with all the toys this car has and the nav + idrive take me way over my notional budget.

I do think for the money this car, with is very low miles is a cracking buy. 

I love me toys though... And not sure I'm happy paying so much at the pumps.

***thinks***

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2011, 03:08:42 pm »
It's daft paying 3-4k more for a derv and not doing the miles. It's the same price per litre give or take, so the increase in monthly payments for the more expensive car cancel out the savings on fuel.
Sideways yo!

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2011, 07:17:38 pm »
very true young man...as satisfying as it is getting 40mpg and being as quick 0-60 as a 911, it doesn't make much sense when you do the math....

:driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:

OOOOhhhhhh sooooo tempting! arrrrghhhhh, I have seen real world mpg on these 335i's as low as 14mpg, I must be mental even considering it.

Come on! (public self flagellation coming up)......I have a great car, there is NOTHING wanting on it, it has all the toys, 4 new tyres, an mot for a full year, road tax, insurance paid, just serviced, new brakes, everything is right with it...why oh why am I even thinking about a change....I need a slap. :rolleye:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:49:01 am by no golf clubs at all »

Offline alex_chung

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »
very true young man...as satisfying as it is getting 40mpg and being as quick 0-60 as a 911, it doesn't make much sense when you do the math....

:driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:

OOOOhhhhhh sooooo tempting! arrrrghhhhh, I have seen real world mpg on these 335i's as low as 14mpg, I must be mental even considering it.

Come on! (public self flagellation coming up)......I have a great car, there is NOTHING wanting on it, it has all the toys, 4 new tyres, an mot for a full year, road tax, insurance paid, just serviced, new brakes, everything is right with it...why oh why am I even thinking about a change....I need a slap. :rolleye:

Oh oh......fully expect to see another thread saying that you are getting a 330/335D next week hahah!
As PDT has said hold out for one that has iDrive/Nav in it. I have the Prof Nav and iDrive in my 525D. If you are not sure I can bring the car around and you can see if you can live with the Nat/iDrive or not.
Alex