Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
9/11
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:46 am »
Unbelievable its 10 yrs ago, where were you that day? Remember like it was yesterday listening to it unfold on the car radio travelling back from Bristol.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
Re: 9/11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 01:07:38 pm »
I cant believe its been 10 years where does time go.... RIP to all those who lost there lifes on that day, i remember sitting in the car outside school with my mum waiting for a friend to grab a lift and listening to it on the radio... What a day

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:52:50 pm »
R.I.P

i had just finished work and was at home as it all unfolded in front of me...terrible.

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 05:54:20 pm »
One of those days I will never forget for as long as i live  :sad1:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:55:52 pm »
At work when it happened, after first plane went into tower (heard it on the radio), everyone rushed into the rest room to see it on the news, was like watching a hollywood film, so hard to believe it was all happening live on TV.

Then later that day, the base was all recalled for the possible arrival of civilian jets landing on our base, still dunno why to be honest, but didn't happen anyways. Then obviously base was on high alert for a while after 9/11.
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:07:51 pm »
I was out sat in a field with some horses I was looking after and friend Rachel came and told me. I found it difficult to believe at first. The vids of it were as if straight out of a movie. Not being there it's still quite difficult to believe what happened.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 08:40:32 pm »
I was in school and then we had an unplanned fire drill. The IT classes were watching it all, so I think we had the drill so teachers could have a meeting. Whilst the teachers were talking everyone was saying WW3 was about to begin and scare stories about having to be called up to the army and stuff where coming out.

Walked home and mum and dad come in shortly after and asked them if they'd heard but they hadn't and thought I was joking as they hadn't had the radio on or anything all day. Turned the TV on and every other channel had live coverage.

Still can't believe it happened

Offline Schnaffler

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:57:50 pm »
Still lived with my parents and was packing to fly away on holiday the next day. I had the TV on in the background while I packed and it came on so I watched it as it happened. Phoned my Mom at work and told her about it then phoned my friend Tugboat and we stayed on the phone talking to each other as it happened. I will never forget it, it still chokes me up now. Watching those people fall/ jump is something that is burned on my mind.

The next day we flew out on holiday to the canaries and I remember going through incredibly tight security then sitting on the plane reading the paper and looking at the pictures.I had to stop reading in the end as it was freaking me out, as you can imagine.

(I also flew out on holiday a few years later on the day we had a terror scare, it was the day they banned hand luggage with the whole liquid thing.)

Mk5 GTI + Lupo GTI = Happy Schnaffler

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:04:38 pm »
Yeah the whole "Jumpers" thing was horrible (specially the noise!), live on TV  :sad1:

The amateur documentary about the fire fighters helping people get out the towers was honestly like watching a hollywood blockbuster

Offline Schnaffler

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
Yeah the whole "Jumpers" thing was horrible (specially the noise!), live on TV  :sad1:

The amateur documentary about the fire fighters helping people get out the towers was honestly like watching a hollywood blockbuster

Was that the one where you could hear the falling people hitting? So traumatic  :sad:

Mk5 GTI + Lupo GTI = Happy Schnaffler

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 09:44:18 pm »

Was that the one where you could hear the falling people hitting? So traumatic  :sad:

Yeah thats the one, the thudding noises etc.
That documentary is the best for it in the sense the firefighters were confused what all the banging and thuds were  :sad1: obviously they figured it out by looking outside  :sick:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »
^
There was a very good docu with vid clips on TV recently. It was structured on a timeframe and was very effective. Still felt like an action thriller movie though.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »
My wife and I had just moved into our new house 3 days before 9/11. We were painting the sitting room at the time watching it all unfold live on sky news. Everytime we remember moving in we remember 9/11 - terrible.

Chrisb

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »
I remember being glued to sky news after work that night..just not believing what i was seeing. Anyone see rebuilding ground zero on discovery, really amazing what they turned this wtc area into.

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 11:45:57 pm »
Doesn't seem like 10 yrs ago at all, it's all still very vivid. It's one of those events you'll never forget like where were you when Princess Diana was killed or John Lennon murdered. I wasn't working that day and got a call off my ex who was working at the BBC at the time. She said have you got the news on, errr no, well there's a plane crashed into the WTC. At first I thought it must be one of those light aircraft that do the tourist trips over Manhatten but then a couple of minutes later the second plane hit. I watched the whole thing unfold. I was really shocked for some time after, it was very traumatic. Unbelievable. RIP and God bless all those innocent people who lost their lives that day, and thoughts to their friends and families who've had to come to terms with their losses all these years. I hope to God nothing like that ever happens again.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:47:55 pm by Jungle_Faced_Jake »