Make a donation

Author Topic: the pretty standard gti !  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 9
the pretty standard gti !
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:15:48 am »
this is my gti to date, bought in February as a part ex with my alfa brera (which was rubbish) ive not looked back since and love every minute driving it and 'tinkering' with her! her are some pics, would love any thoughts and ideas of what should be the next done thing, so far ive changed the stock head unit to a touch screen double din alpine, then the second was all the skirts and bumpers body color'd to match by 2K coachworks, was thinking of lowering next? already have some Valeo LED's on the way!

Before body coloring

after!

installing the new HU  :grin:

since the new unit has been in sound quality is much better already even with stock speakers but changing them is on the cards also....  :popcornsoda:

also some small mods like painting the front badges black have been done and changing the headlight bulbs to blue/white instead of the stock yellow  :smiley:

any thought, opinions and suggestions would be appreciated!

To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: the pretty standard gti !
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:15:59 am »
Looks great. Colour coding makes a big difference. Don't know why they didn't leave the factory like this - VW cutting costs I expect. Will look better lowered, I'm going to get mine lowered soon with either Eibach or H&R springs. If haven't already had a remap that will make a big difference  :happy2:

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:38:47 pm »
Cheers mate, yeh really pleased with it! So you don't fancy coilovers then? Im still torn between springs and coilovers but can't justify the extra cost, but want the adjustability :/ there will be a revo at some point haha :chicken:
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:34:20 pm »
Yeah I'd like coilovers but can't justify the cost but the adjustability would be better than just lowering springs. It's a big price difference though  :surprised:

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:40:31 pm »
i found some coilovers on ebay, FK AK street coilovers for £215, they sound pretty good and are from a UK company and can lower up to 120mm  :surprised: but then again im not sure if theyll be good quality, havent heard much about them any where?
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:55:20 pm »
I don't think you need to go lower than 30mm for road use otherwise too many risks with speedhumps etc. I've seen a few on H&R springs which are a 30mm drop and they look spot on IMHO. I think if you are going to do anything with the suspension you have to really go for quality parts, it could really screw the car up otherwise.

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:10:22 pm »
do you know how much they are sound pretty good, im not fussed too much about the coilovers, dont want something rubbish that ill end up regretting etc
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:24:27 pm »
The H&R's are more expensive than Eibach sportlines (which are the others to consider). They are about £220 with VAT as opposed to about £145 for Eibachs. H&R lower by 30mm and Eibach sportlines by 20-25mm. Both can be used on stock dampers but will wear the dampers out quicker than stock springs. Ride quality is supposed to be the same as stock with both sets. I'm still debating whether to do it to mine?? They do make the car look a lot better though.

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 11:41:26 pm »
i think cobra also do a set that go to 40mm, but i think that might be approaching the wheel arch...
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!