Make a donation

Author Topic: Can getting a remap potentially open up a can of worms!!??  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Can getting a remap potentially open up a can of worms!!??
« on: September 13, 2011, 02:00:12 pm »
Hello o wise ones!!

Posted quite a few topics lately so some of you may be getting bored of me  :rolleye:

Thinking about getting a Sedox remap but has anyone ever had problems after their remaps? Further down the line that is 6 months to year and more?? VW have made an awesome car and they have spent all that money developing and testing it. So who am I am to come along and change it? Is it 200bhp because that was the best power for the car? The Vxr has 240 bhp and a lot of reviews say its too much power for the front wheels and the torque steer is terrible! So tempted by a remap because a lot of you have had it done but I don't won't to turn a realible quick car into a beast which is always breaking!

Any advice is as always very appreciated!! One more thing, will it affect the emissions thus making it difficult to pass an MOT?????

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: Can getting a remap potentially open up a can of worms!!??
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 03:08:25 pm »
One of the lads from this forum was in today for a Sedox Stg1 map, hopefully he will post up his findings later today.

As with anything, theres Good, very good, Ok, bad and very bad. choose a tuner that has experience with your make and model, has the facilities to properly tune the car and you wont go far wrong.

theres good reviews on here for our software as well as Revo, Superchips, Shark, Ptorque etc....

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 03:59:39 pm »
Do most of these companies offer a RR run after with a power graph?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 04:38:40 pm »
^
As PDT says  :happy2:

But beware the slippery slope of modding as to compliment a remap it's a good idea to enhance your suspension and brakes and a remap alone might be a waste of money without high-flow exhaust and air intake.

Then, service your car more regularly and change the spark plugs more often too. VeeDubs are built with a healthy degree of headroom but don't stretch it to the limit because some things might break more easily.

HTH  :happy2:

So, the can of worms is your wallet and/or if some missus or other objects.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:40:34 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:50:51 pm »
Nice one red robin cheers mate for the knowledge!! Can't be spending that sort of money because saving for a house but a few remap offers have tempted me lately!! Under Stage 1 do I really need to think about that stuff? I thought just a new dv and panel filter would do?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:07:54 pm »
^
No you don't have to do those mods but you might want to in the future - I was describing the ideal (and trying to spend your money!). Staying at Stage1 should be fine - Just be aware. But personally I would strongly advise suspension and brakes mods for Stage2.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:00:18 pm »
Cheers buddy!!!! :happy2:

Offline jordychris

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:52:51 pm »
I have been to PDT today to have the sedox stg 1 remap loaded to my standard gti by Dave today.
The process does not take long about 1.5hrs with Dave explaining things as we go once map is loaded car is datalogged then thats it.
I only live about 10 miles from PDT but in that short drive the car feels so much more alive when it boosts it takes off a quick look at the speedo
tells you how quick you are going in a short distance,so i will test it over the next few weeks and post again,
I would have no hesitation a recommending the sedox map from PDT.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:42 pm »
Heres a recent dyno test for the Sedox stg1 map: http://www.dyno-tuning.co.uk/gallery/vwGolfGTI200bhpTFSI.htm

This was a 100% standard GTi. The early feedback from most people is that its very smooth in power delivery and not at all aggressive. I had a chance to drive Jordychris' car today and im very happy with the way it drove, its decievingly quick for a stage 1. Torque output is higher than stock peak torque from  2800rpm through to 6400rpm so its a very nice, usable power band. Peak power is delivered 700rpm later in the RPM range and makes 60bhp extra at 6700rpm.

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »
From my own personal experience I'd say a St1 remap will open up a can of worms.

I make that statement, not from any particular technical viewpoint of buggering up what in standard form is a pretty nice car but.....the lure of modifying a turbo car is very very tempting.

I too live not far from PDT in the North East, and last December the car went in for a St1 remap, in my case went for a Revo map, I also went for the Autotech fuel pump too.

That started off the mods and quite a fair bit of cash has been spent since. This forum is a good place to gain knowledge on how to wisely spend your money. Really pleased with the results.

So unless you have exceptional willpower, beware the humble stage one remap....
of course this translates to "get it booked."

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:20:47 pm »
Heres a recent dyno test for the Sedox stg1 map: http://www.dyno-tuning.co.uk/gallery/vwGolfGTI200bhpTFSI.htm

Sorry for going off topic slightly, but with regard to the standard torque curve in the link above, how does that particular example compare with other cars you've seen? I only ask as my totally standard car looked to hold more of a torque plateau, which I thought was the norm. I'm not thinking about the variation in absolute figures, just the shapes of the lines.

Getting vaguely back on track, one thing I like about increasing the mid-range torque, is the ability to make better progress wafting along on the torque. The increased mid-range shove makes the car more relaxing!

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:27:30 pm »
Hi mate, is that 213bhp figure your showing a standard gti?

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:35 pm »
Yes, my car at the time was a totally stock 2007MY DSG GTI. Paper filter, stock exhaust, and had a ropey cocktail of petrol in it (a mix of Tesco Value, Tesco Momentum, and Esso 95).

I think reading too much into the absolute figures is dangerous, and the shape of the curves is more important (within reason) - I just took my car along to check everything was okay (which it was), and also get a baseline should I get an itch to remap the car (which I have).

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:26 pm »
I'm getting that itch buddy, thinking about it seeing as PDT have an offer on at the moment, you got stage 1 still? like it? Any problems? cheers matey!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:48:23 pm »
DSG vs Manual do produce very different torque curves at times. I have seen a simple change in tyres cause gains and losses in power. To compare dyno curves from different cars on different dynos on different days isnt an exact science unfortunately :sad1: