Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf GTD to make a come back!  (Read 12334 times)

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
  • NEVER GROW UP
Re: Golf GTD to make a come back!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 05:56:43 pm »
Was at my local dealer this afternoon as some new "TSi" MK6's were being unloaded. Like a tit, I didn't have my camera or mobile with me so no pics.   :rolleye:  I was speaking to a salesman about the arrival of the new GTi and he was telling me about the new GTD. He said it would look very much like the GTi and differ only in the fact that it will have a twin exhaust ( like the exsisting Mk5 GTi and GT ) and the red grille stripe would be deleted. He did say the Adaptive susspension would be an option rather than std. Different alloys but a similar stance to the GTi also.
He said the interior would be basically a monotone Intelagos. Looking at that "Vortex" link, I'd say the UK spec would be the same as those pics from what he said.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 06:03:46 pm »

he was telling me about the new GTD. He said it would look very much like the GTi and differ only in the fact that it will have a twin exhaust ( like the exsisting Mk5 GTi and GT ) and the red grille stripe would be deleted. He did say the Adaptive susspension would be an option rather than std. Different alloys but a similar stance to the GTi also.

.... Well, that really devalues the Mk6 GTI :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Didn't VW learn anything from how similar the Mk4 GTI was to the rest of the Mk4 Golfs!!  :fighting:

They got it right with the Mk5 didn't they!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
  • NEVER GROW UP
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »

he was telling me about the new GTD. He said it would look very much like the GTi and differ only in the fact that it will have a twin exhaust ( like the exsisting Mk5 GTi and GT ) and the red grille stripe would be deleted. He did say the Adaptive susspension would be an option rather than std. Different alloys but a similar stance to the GTi also.

.... Well, that really devalues the Mk6 GTI :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Didn't VW learn anything from how similar the Mk4 GTI was to the rest of the Mk4 Golfs!!  :fighting:

They got it right with the Mk5 didn't they!

My thoughts exactly + they ( kind of ) done it again with the GT  :confused:

matt a

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »
I agree about the mk4 comment Robin, but what I would say is that the mk4 GTI had no distinguishing features to stand it out from the range, where as the MK6 GTD will look similar to the GTI, yes, but the two are distinguished from the rest of the range, giving consumers the choice of petrol or diesel.

Also it doesnt surprise me they have stuck with the 170 bhp 2.0 ltr, had they bumped the power up around 210bhp, it probably would have embarrassed the GTI.

IMO

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 04:38:51 pm »

^ FFS !!!! :fighting: - Even the seat fabric is similar to the GTI. No individuality whatsoever!  :angry015: :sad:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 05:09:24 pm »
I'm kind of (perversely) happy as it makes our Mk5's look even better and unique... I really think that the Mk5 GTI is going to stand out like the Mk2 GTI did over time  :happy2:

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 05:16:02 pm »
I'm kind of (perversely) happy as it makes our Mk5's look even better and unique... I really think that the Mk5 GTI is going to stand out like the Mk2 GTI did over time  :happy2:

Likewise, and I also hope that the mk5 will get remembered as VWs return to form in the GTI stakes.
Andy
7R

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 07:04:22 pm »
I think its the lousy colour thats makes it look rubbish!  :wink:
Candy

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 07:10:31 pm »

I think its the lousy colour thats makes it look rubbish!  :wink:

....I don't think the Mk6 GTD looks rubbish but far too similar to the Mk6 GTI - That's the problem. VW appear to be only interested in promoting the VW brand overall without enough individual model differentiation. Surprisingly they don't seem to sufficiently recognise the enthusiast market for the iconic GTI and our desire for individuality.  :sad:

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 07:50:45 pm »
Maybe VW are taking a leaf out of SEATs successful book and doing to the GTI what they did the to FR, similar hottish petrol and Diesel model with a range topping 'super-GTI' at the top. Whilst they had the V6 Golfs they used a slightly different and more upmarket approach for the 6 cylinder models, with the rumoured R20 being a four pot perhaps VW will be returning to the extra level of GTI as when they had firstly the 16v added and then the G60.
It's not as if GTD is a new concept for VW and the mk2 GTD was slow as hell despite the GTI style trimmings so they have at least made a half decent effort of it.
I've got GTI printed through me like a stick of rock having owned VAG GTI models for at least 22 years and I'm not offended that they are introducing a decent sporty Diesel. In fact if I had a half decent job and thus was entitled to a company car then I would be quite glad of the GTD as it probably would be far more acceptable to the fleet manager than a petrol GTI despite VWs massaging of the MPG figures for the revised 2.0 engine.
Andy
7R

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 08:04:14 pm »
^^^^
Good points, Beezer :happy2:

I'm not "offended" by a GTD but just very disappointed that the new GTI isn't sufficiently different in its STYLING from the GTD because VW have suddenly inserted the GTD style and that it's a further step towards boring uniformity. I'm not talking about comparitive performance - I don't care about that as I'm not a willy-waver.

Perhaps it's all about cost efficiency. Well, fook all that! Utterly boring and without any individual design flare and cool style.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:05:50 pm by RedRobin »

matt a

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 08:06:06 pm »
Like beezerdiesel says the GTD badge has heritage too, I dont feel like its taking anything away from the GTI brand.  :rolleye:

In fact I think it will help with the clarity of the range, in the past there has been far too many different GT's to choose from, the choice will be simple now: Quickish diesel = GTD, Quickish petrol = GTI

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 08:10:07 pm »
Knowing VW they will come up with some sort of madcap hot Golf before the mk5.5 becomes mk7 in a few years.  :drool:
Andy
7R

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 08:10:26 pm »
VW published the total sales for the GTI and it is obvious TDIs pumped the mkiv figures up, i like its got its own identity, just don't think that colour does the mk6 any favours

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/volkswagen-world/news/item/89

Mk I: 1977 – 1984

1.6-litre 110 PS
1977 – first UK registration
1979 – first right-hand drive cars go on sale
Total UK Mk I GTI sales: 19,518
Mk II: 1984 – 1992

1.8-litre 112 PS
1986 – 1.8-litre 139 PS 16-valve engine launched
1989 – introduction of ‘big bumpers’
November 1990 – 1,000,000th Golf GTI is produced
Total UK Mk II GTI sales: 88,278
Mk III: 1992 – 1998

2.0-litre 115 PS
1993 – 2.0-litre 16-valve 150 PS engine introduced
Total UK Mk III GTI sales: 39,766
Mk IV: 1998 – 2004

1.8-litre 125 PS
1.8-litre turbo 150 PS
1999 – 2.0-litre 115 PS is introduced
2002 – 1.8-litre turbo 180 PS and 1.9-litre GTI PD 150 PS engines introduced
Total UK Mk IV GTI sales: 46,944
Mk V: 2004 – 2008

2.0-litre 200 PS T-FSI
January 2007 – 30th anniversary of the GTI marked by the launch of 2.0-litre 230 PS GTI Edition 30
May 2007 – six-litre bi-turbo 650 PS GTI W12-650 design study unveiled – the most powerful Golf ever produced by Volkswagen
June 2007 – GTI ‘R-Line’ claims eighth place overall and class victory at Nurburgring 24-hour race
May 2008 – 2.0-litre T-FSI 230 PS GTI Pirelli launched to commemorate 25th anniversary of the original Mk I variant
August 2008 – production of the Mk V GTI ceases
Total UK Mk V GTI sales to date: 17,630
Golf GTI Engine Range: 1977 – 2008

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 08:12:18 pm »
How come the ED30 was brought out to celebrate 25 years? ^^^^^^^  :grin:
Andy