Make a donation

Author Topic: Auto Lights...do what they want!  (Read 2446 times)

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
Auto Lights...do what they want!
« on: September 13, 2011, 05:52:54 pm »
Ok...so how do the auto lights actually work?  due to where my car is parked overnight when i switch on in the morning with the lights switch in auto, the lights come on as its a dark area.  even though it may be bright sunshine out of my driveway and for the next 30 miles, my lights more often than not will stay on.  any reason for this?  they did this again from work to home in bright sunshine but did go off a couple of miles from home, so its not consistent.  any help/advice appreciated.

Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Auto Lights...do what they want!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »
Can't say exactly how they should work, but im sure someone will be along soon...

Mine are pretty good tbh, only come on at dusk or if ive been driving under dark shady trees for a while or tunnels etc. Don't come on much uncalled for..

One thing i have noticed and i assume its a safety feature? when you start gunning it and  :driver: they come on then!?

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:00:00 pm »
They sometimes stay on in bright sunlight, or indeed activate. Apparently this is an 'anti dazzle' feature, where in such conditions as low sun, the lights come on to make the vehicle more visible.

I hasten to add that this is the concensus when this has previously been discussed, but it is by no means an official answer. I stand to be corrected by those with more knowledge....
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:47 pm »
Why does it bother you so much?

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »
They sometimes stay on in bright sunlight, or indeed activate. Apparently this is an 'anti dazzle' feature, where in such conditions as low sun, the lights come on to make the vehicle more visible.

that makes sense then...doesn't sound like a fault then.

Why does it bother you so much?

whoa there fella...where did i say it bothered me so much?  if you aint got anything constructive to add, you can always use your option of not contributing!  :booty:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:28:20 pm »
Presumption got the better of me. I've read a lot of threads where it really seems to wind people up, and I don't get it.

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:32:12 pm »
Presumption got the better of me. I've read a lot of threads where it really seems to wind people up, and I don't get it.

clearly it did...i'll take that as an apology!  :love:

doesn't wind me up, more of a case of wanting to know if the sensor needed "cleaning" or if it was faulty...not had anyone flash me but only a matter of time as i am driving with my shades on and lights on which looks stupid!  shame there isnt a "lights on" indicator in the dash as its difficult to see the switch being "on" in some light and impossible to see the blue of the dash.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:36:02 pm »
Well I don't normally make apologies for harmless questions, but if that's what you want... :laugh:

Am I right in thinking the lights come on above a certain speed?

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:45:03 pm »
In auto, headlights come on when you hit 90mph and stay on until you've driven for a couple of minutes at a lower speed.  I can't remember what that lower speed is off the top of my head. 

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:46:58 pm »
Ah, that will be why I see them on quite frequently :ashamed:

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »
Well I don't normally make apologies for harmless questions, but if that's what you want... :laugh:

:indifferent:

In auto, headlights come on when you hit 90mph and stay on until you've driven for a couple of minutes at a lower speed.  I can't remember what that lower speed is off the top of my head. 

they were on for the whole journey from starting the car apart from the last 4 miles, all in bright sunshine.  still, interesting to know about the speed thing though, thanks.

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »
In auto, headlights come on when you hit 90mph and stay on until you've driven for a couple of minutes at a lower speed.  I can't remember what that lower speed is off the top of my head.  

I think the lower speed is in the region of 40mph.

Also if you've got the wipers in auto as well as the lights, the headlights will come on if continuous wipe is activated for a few seconds.  The lights will go off again if the wipers remain inactive for a couple of minutes.  

I can't shed any light or offer any bright ideas why yours should be on more than they are off mind...!  I'll get me kagool :grin:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:08:40 pm by JJ »

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:12:30 pm »
I blame the sensor and think its just weird lol. Mine are the same as sometimes they will activate straight away but soon as i pull off drive they will turn off sometimes I will make it to work and still on.

I've had them activate when going under a couple trees blocking the sunlight then they stay on for awhile. Think its just safety, if it isnt sure they will just stay on.

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 07:14:31 pm »
In auto, headlights come on when you hit 90mph and stay on until you've driven for a couple of minutes at a lower speed.  I can't remember what that lower speed is off the top of my head.  

I think the lower speed is in the region of 40mph.

Also if you've got the wipers in auto as well as the lights, the headlights will come on if continuous wipe is activated for a few seconds.  The lights will go off again if the wipers remain inactive for a couple of minutes.  

I can't shed any light or offer any bright ideas why yours should be on more than they are off mind...!  I'll get me kagool :grin:

maybe didnt see much time below 40mph!  didnt know that about the link with wipers...mind you i havent had them on for ages since using Carlack. 

and tonight ladies and gentleman, on stage for your delight..."bright ideas"..."shine any light"...really!  :laugh:  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:44 pm »
TBH you can always just turn them off if you want. The sensors and coding are never gonna as good as human eyes and brain. I tend to turn the lights on in some situations where the autolights hasn't yet activated.

Does anyone know if the sensitivity can be altered in VCDS?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.