Make a donation

Author Topic: V-Power and MPG  (Read 9854 times)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Re: V-Power and MPG
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »
I try and run Vpower 99 or momentum 99, if that's not near where I am then the next best thing is super unleaded 97 which BP, Esseo, sainsbury's, etc sell. Only if I'm desperate I go on 95.

Mainly use Shell and Tesco for the discount schemes, just got £5.50 off at shell and now I'm a v power member and have the magazine.

I normally get between 300 and 350 a tank.. I've got near 400miles before but went through loads of average speed cameras and stayed at 60mph in between but normally get bored and fuel economy goes out the window.

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 06:51:02 pm »
More importantly, how on earth do you get 38mpg ?
I struggle to get 30 on Tesco99 and I'd be down around 28 on normal 95

i guess i have a light foot...dont constantly boot it...mainly use the power for overtakes.  sure i could get more if i tried  :ashamed:

Filler cap on mine says 95 is grand.

mine too says 95 is a minimum but 98 is recommended...suggests that there is nothing wrong with putting 95 in or that the car will have an early death if 95 is used.

How do people get 38 !!! I average 27.0mpg and that is a fair amount of motorway journeys. On a 120 mile motorway trip I will only see 29-30 at best. I have tested my mpg and it is virtually spot on checking via a full tank between refuelling, are some meter out ?

i too checked my spreadsheet calculations against the on board dash mpg and they were the same...spooky.  i get 38 regularly...thought that would be the norm for normal motoring...and that's without having cruise!  a light foot, no need for harsh acceleration, keep constant speeds.  lmy daily journey consists of a major A road that is clogged with lorries and is hell...so usually i sit at 50 - 55 mph for approx 23 miles before a little town work.  on the way home its 28 miles of B road where i can pretty much stretch its legs, but normally sit at around 60 officer!

at the end of the day, i am sure i will continue to put V-Power in...but i certainly wouldn't use supermarket fuels...but that's maybe a different thread!!  :evilgrin:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 07:02:01 pm »
With judicious use of the right foot and cruise control, I've managed 40mpg on a journey which I'd normally expect 32mpg.

The car is designed to run on both 98 and 95 RON - it makes the necessary adjustments but remember the quoted power (200/230 bhp) is based on using 98+RON.

Have personally found V-power to provide more "oomph" where as Tesco Momentum provided better mpg.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 09:49:11 pm »

How do people get 38 !!! I average 27.0mpg and that is a fair amount of motorway journeys. On a 120 mile motorway trip I will only see 29-30 at best. I have tested my mpg and it is virtually spot on checking via a full tank between refuelling, are some meter out ?

Optimal tyre pressure, no aircon, windows wound up, no junk in the boot?  :signLOL:

Offline graeme4130

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 09:56:30 pm »
I think the original posters mpg might be out a bit. I wouldn't get 38mpg out of my STD gti dsg even if I drafted a lorry down the motorway at 50mph

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 10:13:49 pm »
A higher octane fuel does not contain any more energy or power than a low octane fuel but it is more 'knock resistant' so will allow the ECU to advance the ignition timing more than on a  low octane fuel.

As a general rule, the more advanced the spark timing, the more complete the combustion is. A combustion that is cleaner and more complete is more powerfull so its also more efficient. 

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 10:03:38 am »
I run my Pirelli stage 2 on V-Power or Tesco99, it is a little sweeter and crisper on V-Power but pulls hard on both. I would not run 95 for risk of knock and the map retarding the ignition timing which would mean rubbish performance and mpg until the map adjusts back.

The ED30/Pirelli engines are a little worse on MPG compared to a regular GTI (based on the offical figures), then you have added stage 2 mods, which can't really make it better?

Anyway, I'm another person which can average 38mpg (commuting trips with 25% motorway). My tips would be:

Go easy on the throttle
Look ahead
Tyre pressures 2.4BAR or a little more
Regular spark plug changes

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 10:44:45 am »

Tyre pressures 2.4BAR or a little more

I agree with the above, i used to have 32 psi all round but recently went to have 4 wheel alignment done and the technician said i should have 36 PSI. so now with 36 PSI in, the handling feels better and mpg has improved.
worth a go?

rich

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 10:54:37 am »
I run at the standard pressure of 2.6 bar which works out as 36-37psi.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 11:44:04 am »
I think these greedy oil companys have been VERY clever in how they have marketed these "premium" fuels.

I use regular UL purely for the cost.

Offline jamma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 04:09:54 pm »
Use V power and join the V power club then you get cash discounts. I use this and Tesco 99 Ron.

h4rdy

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 04:20:11 pm »
I used to get 38mpg on ED30 stage 2+ but, no idea why, ever since I fitted a Twintake I can get no better than 30mpg.

Anybody else experienced this?

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 07:22:00 pm »
Use V power and join the V power club then you get cash discounts.

Yes, if you drive to the moon and back as your daily commute.

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »
Use V power and join the V power club then you get cash discounts.

Yes, if you drive to the moon and back as your daily commute.
Alan - I do approx 8k miles pa and have just received a £8.50 voucher for the last 3 months so I think you're 'slightly' exaggerating  :P
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline Sarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 11:26:26 pm »
Have personally found V-power to provide more "oomph" where as Tesco Momentum provided better mpg.

I find the same but I also find my car totally poops itself if I don't put v power in, think it ran for 5.5 years purely on v power so when I was skint and had to put the 95 ron in it had a total hissy fit and starting blowing that horrible gritty smoke out the back! Also car feels really sluggish on the 95 ron so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I usually get about 350 miles to the tank and mpg of 31.8 on motorway journeys, I have had as low as 9mpg on a quick blast from my house to shops though  :ashamed: usually get about 24-26 running about town.  I have never seen my car get over 33mpg but I don't drive very economically....