Make a donation

Author Topic: V-Power and MPG  (Read 9869 times)

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
V-Power and MPG
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:40:27 pm »
sure this has been covered...but seeing as i am making an observation rather than asking a question, hopefully i wont get shouted at  :scared:

since owning my 08 GTi for just 5 weeks, i have used V-Power on each fill up and standard Shell unleaded on only one.  i have a spreadsheet for fuel...(yes, it is a bit nerdy but i am sure some of you guys do it too!)...and over a tank full i got 38mpg on 98RON and 36mpg on 95RON.  the cost of a tank differs by £4 yet i probably will only get an extra 22 miles from the tank.  on cost alone it might not seem worth it i suppose, but i feel "programmed" to use V-Power only.

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: V-Power and MPG
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »
I felt the same when I got my GTI, and for a good couple of years I used V-Power exclusively (believing it really made a difference), but recently I've abandoned it for the cheaper stuff.

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
its an age old debate 98 versus 95.  i guess £4 per tank doesn't sound too much and 98 will be beneficial for preventing knock but in these financially difficult times, £4 is £4!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:00 pm »
It's one whole pint!

I guess in reality the filler cap says 98 so there must be good reason to use it, I've just never truly appreciated the difference it makes.

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:55:03 pm »
It's one whole pint!

I guess in reality the filler cap says 98 so there must be good reason to use it, I've just never truly appreciated the difference it makes.

never a truer word...

i dont think there is any additional benefit other than more protection against detonation...detergents etc are going to be the same.  however, people report reduced power on 95...but that's hardly scientific unless on a rr.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:20:15 pm »
i definitely felt a difference in torque when i used 99RON in my old 1.6. i know it's not scientific but once i went on a long hol and left the car with the folks and when i got back i thought something was wrong with my car - it took me a while to figure out that they would have put the regular stuff in while i was gone and that was the difference

i think the combo of slightly better fuel mileage and a supposed power advantage are enough to keep me buying the stuff. i only use Momentum 99 tho (Tesco)
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:52:50 pm »
The difference in power on my stage 1 is extremely noticeable between 95 and 98 ron. I always used 98ron but then over the course of the year I moved to 95 due to the cost. Six months later the car went kaput and was due to the fuel sensor going faulty. It was almost clogged.

I wont be touching 95ron again unless absoloutly necessary.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:46 pm »
Although it may be £4 and you can't really notice a difference I'm sure inside the engine something is having to work harder to try and generate more spark/combustion, I'm sure our ECU magician dave a PD could explain in more detail if he sees this  :popcornsoda:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:52:52 pm »
The difference in power on my stage 1 is extremely noticeable between 95 and 98 ron. I always used 98ron but then over the course of the year I moved to 95 due to the cost. Six months later the car went kaput and was due to the fuel sensor going faulty. It was almost clogged.

+1

I will ONLY use 99ron fuel and nothing else. What is the point in trying to save a few quid when it could cost you in the long run?

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:36 pm »
Surely it depends on what u want isn't it. Performance or fuel economy/cost.  Rarely can u have both!

I choose performance so use V Power all the time, even if it's now costing me over £70 for a full tank!  :fighting:

If mpg / cost is ur main concern then by all means use normal UL or get a hybrid/diesel!

Offline Dave63

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:48:41 pm »

+1

I will ONLY use 99ron fuel and nothing else. What is the point in trying to save a few quid when it could cost you in the long run?

Over a couple of years at £4 a tank that could easily outweigh the cost of fixing any problems that could happen. Doubt you will see any costly problems from the type if petrol used tbh in general, I bet more than half the Gti owners don't even look at the super stuff and there car will run fine.

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:54:17 pm »
I have only been putting momentum 99 in mine for a while now. Gotta love the clubcard points too. I can say i honestly noticed a real difference with 95ron fuel though.

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 03:09:13 am »
V power gives you double points so you get £10 back easy on a gift voucher
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:15:04 pm by boxxer1973 »
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

h4rdy

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:09 am »
Ok I just worked out that an extra 22 miles is a £3.69 saving.

So if it is £4 extra its actually only 0.31p more?

Thats at £1.40 for V-Power which is what I roughly pay.

If you pay more then the saving is more, as you have not put what you pay I can only go on what I pay.

Unless I worked it out wrong, 4.54 litres to the Gallon.

Anybody else want to do it, its all approximate.

22 miles over 38mpg equates to 58% so its fairly easy.

Its late/early so forgive me if I am wrong.

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 07:59:40 am »
the important thing to remember is if your car has been maped, use the fuel it was maped with to avoide any timming isues , other wise you can use either 95 or the higher octane :smiley: