Make a donation

Author Topic: Unsure Which Tyres to get for Ed30  (Read 3384 times)

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Unsure Which Tyres to get for Ed30
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 10:03:43 pm »
anyone tried Kumho's?????

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 10:15:22 pm »
F1s do wear quite quickly but then again they grip well so....

Id avoid 452 falkens, they don't work on fwd cars, and they wear quickly and badly too.

.:Tapatalk:.

hmm you're the first person i've ever heard say something negative about them...
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 10:23:00 pm »

Id avoid 452 falkens, they don't work on fwd cars, and they wear quickly and badly too.

hmm you're the first person i've ever heard say something negative about them...

I made the mistake of buying a set of FK452s for my A3 a while back....

Only thing good about them is the price imo, below average dry grip and terrible in the rain, wore out amazingly quickly and journeys became measured in mm rather than mpg  :grin:
Became noisy and ended up shaped like a 50p piece on the rear, amazingly i did 10 wet laps of the Ring with them on, can't believe i survived...  :laugh:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 10:41:41 pm »
mine came from the factory with Exaltos, and all id say is only buy them if low wear rate is your main criteria over everything else.
They last forever but grip levels are nowhere near ps2/ps3
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 11:16:52 pm »

I made the mistake of buying a set of FK452s for my A3 a while back....

Only thing good about them is the price imo, below average dry grip and terrible in the rain, wore out amazingly quickly and journeys became measured in mm rather than mpg  :grin:
Became noisy and ended up shaped like a 50p piece on the rear, amazingly i did 10 wet laps of the Ring with them on, can't believe i survived...  :laugh:

hmm i really have had no problems... but mine is a stock A3 2.0T (i.e. K03 not K04), so maybe that's why. i know a few other A3s running them also with no problems. if i need to change them again before i sell i'll probably get Toyos again, but for around £75 a corner fitted you can't really go wrong providing that you can't afford better considering the opening statement of my first post
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:20:22 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 11:42:35 pm »
I seem to spend more ££ per mile on tyres than petrol and have so far had...

Dunlop Sportmaxx: Came as OE fitment from the factory, noisy, horrendous in the wet and average at best in the dry, will eventually wear like a 50p piece...

Conti Sport contact 2: Great in both the wet and dry, relatively quiet, average wear although lacking in ultimate dry grip imo..

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (gen 1): Fantastic in both the wet and dry, excellent grip and a competent occasional track day tyre, fairly quiet, below average wear rate though, relatively soft sidewall gives the best ride of all the tyres i have tried but prone to sidewall damage/bulges..

Michelin PS3: Better in the wet than the GY F1s although a little down in ultimate dry grip, again a decent occasional track day tyre, quietest of all the tyres i have tried so far, excellent wear rate and looking to last almost twice as long as the GYs!!, stiff sidewall gives a slighter firmer ride but gives a nice sharp initial turn in, best all round tyre i have had so far..

Hankook W300 Ice bear:: Performance winter tyres, astonishing in snow, slush, rain and temps below 10'c and suprisingly good in the dry and when the weather gets warmer, a real eye opener as to how good dedicated winter tyres are!

Federal Rs-R 595: My track tyres, comical levels of grip in the dry when warmed up and not 'that' bad in the wet tbh, come with 8mm tread when new and wearing incredibly well for a track tyre, half the price of R888s for 90% of the grip, i love them!  :smiley:

have heard those federals are better than the hankooks as a track tyre and performance per pound better than the toyo ones
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1